Pictures of your Dog

14 months, which is s pup for a red setter.
I only have him 3.5 months.
Was tearing my hair out with him at times in the early days, but I’m learning as much as he is. Setters are totally different to Labdraors, which my last best friend was.

This dog has energy to burn and whatever I come up with for training has to be more interesting than the natural world around him, which is a challenge.
You’re discovering why setters and pointers aren’t used as guide dogs! Much higher prey drive than labradors.

It is difficult to be more interesting than the natural world. He’s young and exploring boundaries. It’s a phase of life and it takes time to get them to focus on you more, there are techniques and mental exercises that can help.

He’s a really cracking dog

You’re discovering why setters and pointers aren’t used as guide dogs! Much higher prey drive than labradors.

It is difficult to be more interesting than the natural world. He’s young and exploring boundaries. It’s a phase of life and it takes time to get them to focus on you more, there are techniques and mental exercises that can help.

He’s a really cracking dog
I’m open to any advice that can be given.
He’s definitely come on, in the last month. I have him off lead now, which I couldn’t do in the first two months.
A lot of long lead training. Changing direction on the whistle to get him to look for me. Three blasts means I want him back, etc.

Getting him off lead means I can burn up a lot more of his energy.
He doesn’t bother people or other dogs either even though he is very friendly and playful.

As I said. Any tips or advice will be gratefully received.

I’m open to any advice that can be given.
He’s definitely come on, in the last month. I have him off lead now, which I couldn’t do in the first two months.
A lot of long lead training. Changing direction on the whistle to get him to look for me. Three blasts means I want him back, etc.

Getting him off lead means I can burn up a lot more of his energy.
He doesn’t bother people or other dogs either even though he is very friendly and playful.

As I said. Any tips or advice will be gratefully received.
If it’s ok, I’ll PM you tomorrow with some things that have worked for me, and I’d appreciate hearing your successes too.

52368149807_c43217d1b4_b.jpg

This morning in Delamere Forest.

Gizmo. 13 yr old one eyed chocolate lab. Nearly lost him a couple of years ago as he had a burst stomach ulcer/septic perotonitus/10 days in intensive care at the vets but he pulled through. Thick as pigshit but still has his adventures.View attachment 56192

What a belter! Unfortunately we had our little sod at the emergency vets this morning, been coughing and wrenching periodically for a few days but this morning she was very out of sorts, she’s a fucking scavenger of a dog so could have picked up anything, hopefully it will clear off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.