Pizarro Anybody?

FantasyIreland said:
I've not seen anything of him,how (if at all...) does he compare to Bernarbia?

He's taller.............and has fewer vowels in his surname.

I was encouraged by the little I saw of him today. He doesn't seem to have lost any of his skill and he clearly loves playing that diagonal ball to the top left of the pitch.

I think he will be a good substitute for toure.

Darkhorse said:
I was encouraged by the little I saw of him today. He doesn't seem to have lost any of his skill and he clearly loves playing that diagonal ball to the top left of the pitch.

Or and Barry.

Dax777 said:
Darkhorse said:

Or and Barry.

agreed. A toure/pizzaro midfield might be interesting. I was going to say something of the same effect in my earlier post but I got sick of typing it up on my damn phone!

I found this article and found it gave a few different insights to his potential impact...

There was something fitting about the low-key way in which the David Pizarro transfer to Manchester City calmly slid its way into the public consciousness on transfer deadline day.

Much like his playing style, it arrived in a tidy, complete and unassuming fashion, spared of the insalubrious months of speculation that we associate with the January window in particular.

While on the face of it the deal may seem baffling – after all, Premier League leaders Man City are hardly lacking in central-midfield quality – the Chilean playmaker could well be the missing piece in the sky blue jigsaw.

On the occasions City have struggled this season, it has often been put down to them lacking the know-how of winning the Premier League, in comparison to their great across-town rivals who boast a squad full of players that have won England’s top prize. In reality, it has frequently been due to an inability to break down rigid opposition that set out to frustrate Roberto Mancini’s men and prevent them from playing.

What better example than their trip to the Stadium of Light where, despite 69% possession, City failed to find their way through an organised Sunderland outfit that repeatedly looked to get 10 or 11 men behind the ball.

While Samir Nasri, David Silva and Sergio Aguero all have the ability to unlock defences, this is something that gets stifled when the gap between the defence and midfield is reduced. Instead Manchester City were left with a lot of the ball slightly further from goal, and needing to thread the eye of a needle.

In this game, Nigel De Jong – a player occupying the same position as Pizarro would – completed 98% of his passes but offered no penetration going forward, and Sunderland’s game plan was vindicated by their smash-and-grab late winner.

Pizarro’s signing shows something very important in Roberto Mancini: an awareness of his side’s deficiencies, something Arsène Wenger has once more failed to do down at the Emirates Stadium.

By loaning the Chilean maestro, the Sky Blues now have a creative option to operate from deeper when sides are limiting their opportunities in the attacking third, thus addressing what was arguably the only remaining doubt over their personnel.

He will by no means be solely an emergency ‘go-to’ player. The way that Pizarro keeps the ball moving and orchestrates play is metronomic, affecting the rhythm of the entire match and ensuring his side maintain control of the game, but his killer ball is always in the armoury – nobody in Serie A provided more assists during the three seasons of 2007/08 to 2009/10.

Like a conductor of an orchestra, he chooses the pace at which a game will be played and makes it so, although passing is not all there is to his game. A far better tackler than Serie A’s other great ‘regista’ of recent years, Andrea Pirlo, his ability to win back and then hold on to the ball makes him possibly a more complete player than the World Cup winning midfielder.

The only question mark over the deal is the relationship between Pizarro and his manager. Mancini purchased the midfielder in his time at Inter Milan but he was then largely a substitute, and when he did get game time it seemed he [Mancini] was unsure where to use the player that had been so impressive at Udinese.

Pizarro would only recapture his old form under his old Udinese boss, Luciano Spalletti, at Roma, where he once more flourished as a deep-lying playmaker in a 4-2-3-1.

Fortunately for City, circumstances are very different to when these two were last together, and Mancini now knows just where to play him, as well as boasting an established system that is strikingly similar to the one Pizarro thrived in at the Olimpico.

If he can settle into English football quickly, David Pizarro promises to be a great asset for Manchester City, and one that could well prove key in a first ever Premier League win.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/opinions/david-pizarro-will-give-man-city-the-edge-in-title-race/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/opinions/d ... itle-race/</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.