PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

Yep that's my guess! Premier league didn't want to investigate it even though it's very serious! Was it because it was Liverpool who did the hacking and they have influence?

Martyn Ziegler, Chief Sports Reporter|Matt Dickinson, Chief Sports Writer

September 21 2019, 12:01am, The Times

Liverpool paid a £1 million settlement to Manchester City after their Premier League rivals made a complaint that their scouting system had been hacked into.

The confidential settlement took place in September 2013 after it was reported that City had employed computer-espionage experts to see if the system had been spied on.

The scandal would appear to be the biggest incident of alleged misbehaviour by one top-flight club to another in the Premier League’s history.

And whether that motive - which is a reasonable supposition - can actually be proven.

I don't think the motive needs to be proven because the rules simply say you've got to disclose all remuneration to the PL. The bit the PL would need to prove would be "was this 1.7m a year from Al Jazira actually remuneration for being Manchester City manager?".

How would you prove that? I suppose you'd want to -

a) Show how ludicrously low Mancini's official salary was compared to Hughes, Pellegrini and other managers in the PL in 2009.

b) Show a clear flow of payments from City to Al Jazira to Mancini.

c) Show Mancini never actually went to Al Jazira to do the work he was being paid for.

d) Show how paying Mancini via a tax haven saved City enough money to be important. For Mancini to take home an extra £1.7m a year would have cost City about another £4m+ p/a if paid in the UK.

However, to do that you'd need a lot of information from Al Jazira like bank records, and Mancini's travel schedule and I don't think the PL can access that.

Last edited:

Liverpool paid a £1 million settlement to Manchester City after their Premier League rivals made a complaint that their scouting system had been hacked into.

The confidential settlement took place in September 2013 after it was reported that City had employed computer-espionage experts to see if the system had been spied on.

The scandal would appear to be the biggest incident of alleged misbehaviour by one top-flight club to another in the Premier League’s history.
Should never have settled.

Yep one report that died a deaf no one in the media were interested in it! Why? Because of the club!

it just seems impossible to me we come out of all this unscathed. the number of charges against us clearly designed in a way for something to stick for sure. let alone the reputation damage since the charges.

If all the club has to throw at Liverpool is the hacking affair that was settled 'out of court' between the two parties then everyone can forget about 'going nuclear' or 'shit storms' or whatever.

If we had any evidence of major wrongdoing by any rival club it would be out there already, either directly or via third parties. We have nothing of note.
Conversly, if the people who have laid 115 charges against City had any major evidence of City's alleged wrong doing,it would have been over every major news outlet by now.
They having nothing of note.

I don't think the motive needs to be proven because the rules simply say you've got to disclose all remuneration to the PL. The bit the PL would need to prove would be "was this 1.7m a year from Al Jazira actually remuneration for being Manchester City manager?".

How would you prove that? I suppose you'd want to -

a) Show how ludicrously low Mancini's official salary was compared to Hughes, Pellegrini and other managers in the PL in 2009.

b) Show a clear flow of payments from City to Al Jazira to Mancini.

c) Show Mancini never actually went to Al Jazira to do the work he was being paid for.

d) Show how paying Mancini via a tax haven saved City enough that money to be important. For Mancini to take home an extra £1.7m a year would have cost City about another £4m+ p/a if paid in the UK.

However, to do that you'd need a lot of information from Al Jazira like bank records, and Mancini's travel schedule and I don't think the PL can access that.
Mancini's City contract was heavily incentivised on top of his basic. So in his first full season (2010/11) we won the FA Cup and finished in the top four. I think that netted him about £5m in total.

Winning the league increased that and he renegotiated his City contract, to the point where he would be earning something like £11-12m in that 2012-13 season.

Also, he didn't personally have to provide that consultancy to Al Jazira, his company did. So he could legitimately get someone else to do it.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.