PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

I'm not so sure.

The Premier League is clearly the most successful league in football, and six rich teams is probably enough to sustain things. It's not popular because Villa or Everton might make a run into the top four once a decade.

There's no major reason why United and Chelsea shouldn't be able to challenge again, given their current financial size. Spurs new stadium has pushed their revenue up massively, and we've seen that Arsenal are again able to compete. With a fifth CL spot it'll be even easier for the rich six to sustain.

The six gives some semblance of competition, and it's certainly more than any of the other big leagues. People always used to talk about cycles, but the financial gaps have become so great, that I don't see how other European leagues could catch up, and if the PL remains the most popular, then the money continues to flow in.

That's a pretty narrow view, imho. The PL is a mess at the minute and everyone knows it. Surely?

Strategically and more long term, though, an organisation that stands still slowly withers. The PL should be encouraging inward investment in all clubs so that more and more can compete and the league and the pyramid are strengthened.

Just keeping 4 or 6 teams strong and then thinking the PL isn't under threat from the other leagues at the moment is a poor strategic decision in my book. The sort of thing a marketing man may think of, but not a business executive.

All imho, of course.

That's a pretty narrow view, imho. The PL is a mess at the minute and everyone knows it. Surely?

Strategically and more long term, though, an organisation that stands still slowly withers. The PL should be encouraging inward investment in all clubs so that more and more can compete and the league and the pyramid are strengthened.

Just keeping 4 or 6 teams strong and then thinking the PL isn't under threat from the other leagues at the moment is a poor strategic decision in my book. The sort of thing a marketing man may think of, but not a business executive.

All imho, of course.
Spot on mate, my thoughts entirely, any business that thinks it’s cracked it is in for a massive shock if it doesn’t build in scope for improvement.

I'm not so sure.

The Premier League is clearly the most successful league in football, and six rich teams is probably enough to sustain things. It's not popular because Villa or Everton might make a run into the top four once a decade.

There's no major reason why United and Chelsea shouldn't be able to challenge again, given their current financial size. Spurs new stadium has pushed their revenue up massively, and we've seen that Arsenal are again able to compete. With a fifth CL spot it'll be even easier for the rich six to sustain.

The six gives some semblance of competition, and it's certainly more than any of the other big leagues. People always used to talk about cycles, but the financial gaps have become so great, that I don't see how other European leagues could catch up, and if the PL remains the most popular, then the money continues to flow in.
I don't think any system of regulation can survive if it relies quite openly on punishing even a sizable number of members but leaves in peace a small number. Most clubs were in favour of trying to sanction City even though the club is actually the best run club in the world and an example to all others. But trying to prevent us spending failed and has led to sanctions on an increasing number of clubs who are not seen as any kind of "threat". A secondary effect was the complete lack of activity in the January transfer and, much as many might applaud, this is an essential mechanism for stimulating activity and circulating wealth. A growing number of clubs will be asking why they cannot spend without sanction and threat of ruin while the great debtor clubs can. And they can see quite clearly the connection between spending, success and revenue generation of ManU, Arsenal, Spurs et all. They are no longer more frightened of City's wealth than of a group of clubs iron grip on their spending and income. The number of clubs prepared to reject P & S may not be enough to get a two thirds majority but it will probably be enough to get the independent regulator to act to end a civil war in the PL. If the courts don't ...

All imho, of course.

I disagree that the PL is a mess. City's charges I expect will get dropped, Chelsea's will be impossible to prove fully now Roman is out of the picture, and I suspect that clubs will see Everton's issues and start to listen to the league long before things get out of hand. Ultimately though, I doubt Everton, Villa, Forest, or even Chelsea getting a points deduction will dent the PL's popularity.

I'm also not talking about them standing still - but I don't see a commercial imperative to have 8 or 10 clubs competing for the title.

While nobody wants a Bundesliga or Ligue 1 situation, where there's essentially a big 1, it's probably commercially ideal to have half a dozen of the most famous clubs in the World competing regularly, and the same clubs competing in the CL every year.

I'd prefer a more balanced league, but if there was much more churn at the top, and we had a revolving cast of CL clubs, then it would likely make it less attractive to worldwide tv audiences, and that's where the financial growth is. I'd expect that the PL will continue to grow, but the UK TV deal is likely maxed out, and we've seen the overseas rights surpass them. Given the sums involved, there is a huge potential for growth in those deals, and that's driven by a semi-competitive league with recognisable names.

Just sat through hours of budget statements and discussion and what have we all learned?
1- large amounts of debt are harmful to your economy, especially if it costs a lot to service and finance, and it’s advisable to pay off as much as you can as quickly as you can.
2- the best way to grow your economy is investment.
Investment in infrastructure and staff and training to provide a product or service that people want.
Strangling investment strangles growth.
3- the PL seem not to know any of this.

Just sat through hours of budget statements and discussion and what have we all learned?
1- large amounts of debt are harmful to your economy, especially if it costs a lot to service and finance, and it’s advisable to pay off as much as you can as quickly as you can.
2- the best way to grow your economy is investment.
Investment in infrastructure and staff and training to provide a product or service that people want.
Strangling investment strangles growth.
3- the PL seem not to know any of this.

Richard Masters:

1709741591423.png

But it's a lot easier to just charge City 115 times than allow investment, growth and competition!

Spurs looking for every extra penny it seems...

“THST Board members met with the club on February 21 when we were presented with the Season Ticket proposals for the first time. During this meeting, we disagreed on several areas and as a result of our input, changes were made.

“We do, however, remain hugely disappointed to see Season Tickets increase by six per cent.”

The statement continued: “Discounts for senior Season Ticket and matchday tickets remain unchanged for 2024/25 but lead to the complete removal of new Senior concessions from 2025/26 – this is unacceptable.

“The Club does say new senior Season Ticket holders who are turning 65 for next season will receive the current 50 per cent discount if they are in a concession area, but this will be of little comfort to those supporters impacted by these changes from 2025/26.

“The discount for senior Season Tickets will also be reduced by five per cent each season for the next five years meaning that, from 2029/30, Senior Season Tickets will cost senior supporters 25 per cent more than today. This increase cannot be justified.”

The only regulation that's required is squad size and perhaps limit the number of new additions to that squad per season.
Financial constraints and trade restrictions lead us to where we are now - a shambles. Instead, the unsophisticated approach of City = wealthy, therefore go after the money. But what would anyone expect of envy fuelled dinosaurs, Parry, Gill, and Ferguson?
The pl and the instigators Liverpool, United and Arsenal (laughably) have royally fkd this up.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.