PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

If we were negotiating the contract on behalf of Al Jazira with him and there were transactions or agreements between the two it’d be pretty hard to argue they shouldn’t have been considered a related party.

I think the main argument the PL will have and we’ll have to justify is the negotiation around the 2011 one as the emails did indicate his salary at Al Jazira had a bearing on the salary he got with us (as in we effectively treated it as one total package).
The main reason why Al Jazira and City could be classed as related parties would be that both are owned by Sheikh Mansour. But that's not enough in itself to automatically make them so. Sheikh Mansour seems to play little or no part in the overall management of City, therefore it's unlikely that the two clubs would be classed as related, and we never have been according to the accounts.

Have you ever seen the actual DS emails on Fordham? It's the only one of the allegations I am unsure about, but that is only because I don't much about how it worked. I would be very surprised if it wasn't completely above board, though. As I say, I imagine these guys get legal and tax clearance on everything.

On UEFA, they looked at Fordham in 2014 and it was part of the settlement. I suspect they didn't re-open it again in 2019 because of the settlement in the same way they didn't open up related parties and fair value again.
All I can speculate re Fordham is if Simon Pierce is the person signing off the negotiation on any Mancini brokering?

Simply because his testimony at CAS was he does not get involved in such and, as such, the panel had no reason to question his integrity?

I think City knew Mancini was going on gardening leave and simply put down a marker before he had even left Inter, to box him off.

The main reason why Al Jazira and City could be classed as related parties would be that both are owned by Sheikh Mansour. But that's not enough in itself to automatically make them so. Sheikh Mansour seems to play little or no part in the overall management of City, therefore it's unlikely that the two clubs would be classed as related, and we never have been according to the accounts.

I’d argue it is if one entity is negotiating contracts on the others behalf though and there were transactions between the two on that contract.

I’d argue it is if one entity is negotiating contracts on the others behalf though and there were transactions between the two on that contract.
That's not how a related party is defined though, for one thing. And I'd argue that, as Mancini's employer, City had a right to negotiate, or be heavily involved in the negotiation of, any side contract.

The independent regulator is independent their powers are set by an act of parliament its downs time a that the government of the day will interfere
CAS is an arbitration service
The PL independent commission is appointed by the PL and will consist of at least 2 KCs who will consider the evidence from both parties much like CAS
You've told me nothing I don't already know and it doesn't contradict what I said.

I'd say the PL IC is the equivalent of the UEFA panel that found us guilty.

The IC appeal panel will also be a PL appointed entity (unlike CAS which is a truly independent arbitration service) and my instincts tell me not to trust it.

As I say, I hope I'm wrong on this. Our legal experts on here seem to trust the integrity of the process and the panel so let's hope I'm flapping unnecessarily.

Last edited:
Andy Burnham was on the Sports Agents podcast a week or so ago and made an important point in this respect. He said that there was an obvious conflict of interest between the PL being both the promoter of a product and the regulator of it. I think that is spot on. Plainly there is a potential conflict between the role of developing the PL brand as much as possible and the role of ensuring regulatory compliance amongst its members. One of the reasons a lot of non-blues think we will "get off with it" is precisely because of that conflict. In recent years there have been a fair few instances of, for instance, professional bodies having their trade union and regulatory functions separated, so that for instance doctors' interests are promoted by the BMA but their conduct is regulated by the General Medical Council. Solicitors are protected by the Law Society but regulated by the Solicitors' Regulatory Authority.

In the case of the PL, the reality however seems to be even more nuanced. I would say there is wide recognition, at least on this forum, that the red top clubs, rags and dippers in particular, have a disproportionate amount of influence over the PL. The example everyone knows of is their role in the recruitment of Richard Masters, with the additional interview and the surprising withdrawal of other candidates who would have been offered the job before him. Surprisingly, or not according to perspective, that story (whilst plainly true as I recall it) did not get much traction amongst the mainstream media.

It seems to me the appointment of an independent regulator can only be a good thing. At the very least, we could be satisfied that a regulator with a statutory remit would be much less likely to do the bidding of the red shirts. At the very least, we would know that disciplinary charges were not brought from a desire to nobble a competitor. At best, an independent regulator can bring an end to some of the corruption that has surrounded the game at PL level.
I have argued for some time that UEFA should be two bodies, a regulator and a competition promoting/organising company. It’s bonkers being both.
That was stark in the case of PSG getting off ffp infractions, their president was, of course, also the head of Bein Sports who had just sponsored UEFA competitions and bought the tv rights for loads of money.

Last edited:
That's not how a related party is defined though, for one thing. And I'd argue that, as Mancini's employer, City had a right to negotiate, or be heavily involved in the negotiation of, any side contract.

It is if you couple those points together. If you have the same principle owner of both and a director of one entity with the ability to negotiate contracts on behalf of the other, I’d argue that’d be a tough sell to say they aren’t related parties.

It is if you couple those points together. If you have the same principle owner of both and a director of one entity with the ability to negotiate contracts on behalf of the other, I’d argue that’d be a tough sell to say they aren’t related parties.
Sheikh Mansour is a related party to City and to Al Jazira but that doesn't make City & Al Jazira related parties.

Sheikh Mansour is a related party to City and to Al Jazira but that doesn't make City & Al Jazira related parties.

Not in itself, no, I never said it did. It does if decision making at one entity is influenced by the other though and it can if there’s negotiation done by one on behalf of the other, that’s what would be hard to argue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.