PL charge City for alleged breaches of financial rules

I have to say that in its updated form I’ve read a lot worse than the BBC article.

like many others, my conclusion is that it tries to give an impress of balance whilst actually being pretty one-sided. It refers for instance to City spending huge sums on lawyers to prove their innocence without saying that the PL are spending huge sums on lawyers to prove their guilt. It refers to possible consequences for City if they are found guilty without referring to the possible consequences for the PL if they are not. It implies that City is more at risk because they don’t have the CAS safety net without observing that the Panel is likely to be significantly more robust than UEFA in the first place.

My overall impression is that someone at the BBC wanted to put something out showing that they weren’t scared by any cease and desist letter (or to dispel the rumours that they’d had one).

There’s nothing factually wrong in the article, they just cherry picked the bits they wanted to include and the bits they didn’t.

Typical piece of modern BBC click bait in other words. Not well written, biased, lacking in journalistic integrity.

nothing to see here, frankly. Nothing we haven’t seen many times before anyway.
What happended to a public funded broadcaster being impartial. Also just because its happened before didn't mean its correct.

Last edited:

City need to be doing proper investigations into why it was our club that this hacker chose. No way it was just a random decision, he'll have been put up to it. Someone needs to check his bank accounts.

Tbh, this could all be stuff that City have done, who knows.

Last edited:
City need to be doing proper investigations into why it was our club that this hacker chose. No way it was just a random decision, he'll have been put up to it. Someone needs to check his bank accounts.

Pinto hacked lots of clubs and businesses and leaked plenty of juicy stuff about other parties.

Tbh, this could all be stuff that City have done, who knows.Do you seriously think that Billionair
Do you honestly believe billionaire businessmen members of royalty and leaders of countries don’t do due diligence on stuff like this

The BBC have made some amendments to the rogue article from yesterday, but they have still omitted key facts about the history of the case. Because they are expected to be balanced in their reporting, I have challenged them again today. I don't normally make complaints, but when a public broadcaster shows bias against the club I have supported since 1978 I decided to take action. We havent got many friends in the media so we need to take a stand where we can. Here's the gist of my note to the BBC.

I notice that this report has been amended in parts (which is helpful), but still omits key facts and observations about the case between the Premier League and Man City.

Why is the Man City case taking so long? It is not explicit enough in the section that the PL took 4 years to investigate Man City from 2019 to 2023. It is lazy journalism to say that Man City dragged their feet. You should also be asking why the PL took so long rather than simply blaming Man City. Equally, there should be some mention that Man City have a right to defend themselves and perhaps the information the PL were asking for they had no right to ask for. So, we can only speculate as to why the case has taken so long instead of blaming Man City.

There should be a section of the report that asks the question - What happens if Man City are cleared of the charges? What does this mean for the PL's credibility?

What do the 115 charges mean? This section mentions the fact that Omar Berada is going to work at Man United - why not ask the question as to why Man United would hire someone that is so closely associated with Man City's commercial deals during the period in question relating to the 115 alleged breaches?

When could Man City be punished? This section seems to have been amended from what was reported yesterday - The section refers to the CAS decision, but needs to be clear about the outcome. Man City were not found guilty of financial wrong doing (there was no evidence and this is stated in the CAS report 11 times) and were also found not guilty of disguised equity funding. Also, the fine Man City received was for non-cooperation and CAS reduced this from the original fine set by UEFA. We can only speculate as to why Man City did not co-operate with UEFA, but during UEFAs investigation there were leaks of information provided by Man City to the press (e.g. New York Times).

Man City Charges Timeline - why does this not include the fact that the PL opened their investigation in 2019?

I have to say that in its updated form I’ve read a lot worse than the BBC article.

like many others, my conclusion is that it tries to give an impress of balance whilst actually being pretty one-sided. It refers for instance to City spending huge sums on lawyers to prove their innocence without saying that the PL are spending huge sums on lawyers to prove their guilt. It refers to possible consequences for City if they are found guilty without referring to the possible consequences for the PL if they are not. It implies that City is more at risk because they don’t have the CAS safety net without observing that the Panel is likely to be significantly more robust than UEFA in the first place.

My overall impression is that someone at the BBC wanted to put something out showing that they weren’t scared by any cease and desist letter (or to dispel the rumours that they’d had one).

There’s nothing factually wrong in the article, they just cherry picked the bits they wanted to include and the bits they didn’t.

Typical piece of modern BBC click bait in other words. Not well written, biased, lacking in journalistic integrity.

nothing to see here, frankly. Nothing we haven’t seen many times before anyway.

I haven’t read much worse, genuinely.

The story should be fair, accurate and in good faith. You’re correct there may not be anything factually inaccurate but omitting key information certainly fails the good faith test.

However, the biggest problem is that the intention of this article is clearly to act as a definitive overview of the case for the reader. It’s not written as tabloid clickbait, it tries to hold itself to a much higher journalistic standard.

If that’s your intention then you have to accept an even higher level of responsibility to ensure it covers all bases accurately and in good faith. Otherwise the article fails in its most basic sense.

It’s a truly dreadful piece of journalism and the fact there’s no byline speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Pinto hacked every club, he had millions of emails, only half a dozen of any interest to City, of which 1 is suggestive, he was a blackmailer which is what he was arrested for, that is believed to be about Ronaldo, but it is highly unlikely to be the only one, Pinto did not release these pathetic emails for free, and you do not find a hacker blackmailer in the yellow pages.

Which ones specifically have been prosecuted by uefa and/or the premier league?
The Dutch FA banned FC Twente from European competition based upon Pinto’s hacks.

UEFA investigated PSG based upon his leaks, albeit ultimately clearing them.

Tebas also threatened to sue FIFA based upon Pinto’s leaks of La Liga transfers and wages, blaming their systems for being hacked.

Apologies that this wasn’t as tinhatty as you hoped :/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.