PL v CL

SWP's back said:
I'm sorry but that is bollocks.

The season after matters not. Madrid twice won the CL finishing 3rd, 11 and 9 points behind the best teams in their country.

You cannot be the best team in Europe and the 3rd best in your country at the same time. Winning a Cup means no such thing or Wigan wouldn't be in the Championship. Freak results happen, we know that only too well.

We didn't win the FA Cup, we didn't even get past our first game in the season in which we won the league.

So how do you decide who is the best team in Europe then as its subjective at best. Right now I dont think anyone would argue Bayern are the best around but some people on bluemoon call them rag like and would say Dortmund. The 3 or 4 years leading up to that most people would say Barcelona but Real Madrid fans wont have that so would say someone else. I still refuse to believe the rags were the best team in Europe in 99 but all logic says they were.

i would deem a sucessful season as

Prem 1st or 2nd - has to be close though if we are second
FA cup Semi/Final
League cup not really that bothered about as it would hinder our CL/PL campaign and
Champions league Last 16 minimum

People saying the CL is just a bonus need to wake up and smell the coffee.

The target now is to compete for the league, ideally winning it but definitely no lower than 3rd AND get to at least the last 8 in the CL.

The two things are not mutually exclusive. We MUST do better in the CL AND keep targeting the league. Just like Chelsea and the rags have done for the last few years. Arsenal seem to have settled for less than that in the league recently but you don't hear them saying the CL is "just a bonus". It's what keeps them afloat...

The money, exposure and possibly more importantly, the prestige is to be found in the latter stages of the UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.

However, WINNING the CL would send us to a whole new level compared to where we'd be by just winning the league regularly. As fans we'd be ecstatic to win the league every year or so but the owners have bigger plans than that.

Re: Sv: PL v CL

SWP's back said:
The CL has been won by the best team in Europe perhaps 3 or 4 times out of the last 11 years.
This was my point really, we all know its a very hard competition to win, and one slip up can cost you.

This will be our third season in the competition, and its time we at least qualified for the knock out stages, but going on to win it from there still requires a significant element of luck.

There are no mutually exclusive set of either or's anyway, personally I'd like to win the PL and CL, and I don't understand why finishing 5th to win the CL is even an option, as we should NEVER finish 5th with the squad we have, and I'd suggest its highly unlikely if we were playing badly enough to finish 5th in the league, that we'd be in with a chance of winning the CL anyway (without a fluke somewhere).

We need to become dominant domestically, the rest will follow in good time imho.

Re: Sv: PL v CL

cleavers said:
SWP's back said:
The CL has been won by the best team in Europe perhaps 3 or 4 times out of the last 11 years.
This was my point really, we all know its a very hard competition to win, and one slip up can cost you.

This will be our third season in the competition, and its time we at least qualified for the knock out stages, but going on to win it from there still requires a significant element of luck.

There are no mutually exclusive set of either or's anyway, personally I'd like to win the PL and CL, and I don't understand why finishing 5th to win the CL is even an option, as we should NEVER finish 5th with the squad we have, and I'd suggest its highly unlikely if we were playing badly enough to finish 5th in the league, that we'd be in with a chance of winning the CL anyway (without a fluke somewhere).

We need to become dominant domestically, the rest will follow in good time imho.
this post is too sensible to be in here, GET THE EFF OUT!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.