Plate in my ankle, any advice

Kevblue

I broke my ankle in the wee hours of Saturday, currently in the hospital waiting to have an operation to have a plate put in, I know it'll be sore but has anyone else had this done? Any advice for me??

Welcome to the gimp leg club.

I broke my leg a few years ago, climbing at Gogarth on Anglesey.

6-8 weeks in plaster/plastic.

10-12 before you can drive.

A life time of aching ankles when the weather is cold.

That said, it does help you fulfill 2 of the rules of life.

3. Bones Heal
and
4. Chic's dig Scars.

All i can say Kev is once limbs have broke they are rarely the same again ....

i fractured my left ankle back in 2002 , and had two pins put in it to hold it together whilst the plaster set ....... the pins remain inside my ankle to this day , and my left ankle joint is still bigger than my right one ........ and every now and again the joint becomes pretty sore , and let's me know it's there.

However a bloke in the hospital at the same time had a worse injury than mine .... he'd broken several parts of his leg , had plates fitted , and went swimming to recuperate on a daily basis ...... he said that helped him immensely , and really i should have done that too .

So here's my advice .......

put your foot down on the floor again as SOON as you possibly can again AFTER plaster has come off , and the injury has 'healed' ...... do it slowly , as it will be painful , and put a bit more weight on it on a gradual basis , the doc will advise this too ........ that's something again which i neglected to do , and i regret now , because it would almost certainly have aided me ............. the consultant told me a bone only takes around 17 days or so to heal , but the plaster remains on for longer (around six weeks) as a precaution.

and consider takin' up the 'swimming' thing , it works all your limbs , and that bloke i'm talking about reckoned it worked absolute wonders for him!

Can't agree with the above posters, I made a right mess of my ankle about ten years ago now, ended up having 16 pins and a plate put in, heard all the stories about how it'll never be the same an all that jazz. I've never had any prob's with it at all, pins and plate are both still down there, no prob's whatsoever

I feel privileged to be joining the ranks of the GLC! they told me it'll be 12 weeks before I'm back to work which is a torture as I will be crawling the Walls! I think the swimming will help, I'll take it up once the cast is off and will def try putting weight on it to help get back to strength!

Ive got about 8inches of surgical steel in my shin, been there since 75, never notice it unless I bang it, and then it hurts like buggery

Not had a plate, but when i was 19, i broke my ankle and they then had to re-brake it during surgery so it would set correctly. That was 20 years ago and i still struggle with it first thing in the morning and in cold weather, so good luck.

I got out of surgery about 4 o clock, my leg is still numb and can't move me toes but I'm gettin a tingly feeling in the ankle so the pain will kick in during the night! 12 weeks off work I've been told so you'll probably see me posting more frequently on bluemoon!

I had a plate, pins and screws in my ankle in 2000 after a fracture and dislocation. Also ruptured the ligaments on both sides. I was in various casts over 12 weeks. To be honest, I've lost the big round mound of bone on the outside of the ankle, where I can feel the top of a screw. That hurts like a bastard if I accidentally knock it. I have also lost a small amount of mobility in the ankle compared to the other, but not enough to have a major impact on my life, except for having to give up football. And I was never much use anyway.
The main thing is to do as much physiotherapy and exercises on the joint as you can stand, especially in the early days. I did something called hydrotherapy, basically physio in a pool, which was a great help. If the hospital don't prescribe this for you, just walk up and down your local pool, stretching and putting increasing amounts of pressure on the ankle. The water gives natural support.
Good luck fella

I dislocated my left ankle 45 degrees and fractured it spirally in 3 places. Got a plate, 2 screws and a wire in there.

It's a long struggle to be fair mate but i can run/play footy on mine every day if i want without any after effects.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.