Platini Warns City

Soulboy said:
One last time, I can't let it go without correcting some of your more bizarre points.

Outbidding United in the 70's wasn't a big deal? They were the biggest support in the country, double the size of Forest's. Their revenue dwarfed Forest's. Yet Forest bought their way to success... a bit like City?

If outbidding United was such a big deal in the 70s how come Spurs, Arsenal, Derby, Everton, West Brom, Forest, City and Wolves all broke the British transfer record in that decade, but not United? How many of them are likely to outbid United today?

Soulboy said:
Forest had rich owners?

Where did you get that nugget from? Forest were run by a committee. They were unbelievably dated in their management structure, and the reason why Clough had so many run-ins with them during his time as manager.

So - where did they get the money? The point I was making 'wealthy' in those days meant some of the richest men in town (whether they call it a committee or not). That you could come up and compete straight away is something that can't happen now.

Soulboy said:
Why keep harping back to the 70's (almost 50 years ago) about how football was run, as a comparison with today.

A couple of other posters brought up Forest so I responded to them. The 70s is a good reference point because it was before the big leaps in commercial football (end to the sharing of gate recreipts, increased sponsorship, tv money etc). Not sure if it was you, but the stats from the 70s were in response to a post that football had 'always been about money' and I would suggest that it hadn't been as much about money in the 70s as it is today, and that the first 100 years of the football league should be counted in "always".

If Platini's intentions are honourable why does he single out City to express his concerns over the consequences of our owners pulling out ?
It is pretty obvious that there is a far bigger chance of the Glazers selling Man Utd than there is of the Abu Dhabi Group selling Man City part way through a long term project. If the Glazers put Man Utd on the open market it would be for a figure in excess of £1 billion. My understanding is that the Glazers would then make a profit of over £500 million once the debts were paid. That's fine if the buyers have the "cash" to spend but, if they finance their purchase in the same way that the Glazers did then they would put that debt onto the football club. The amount of income required to service that debt would be astronomical and would surely put the football club at risk financially. How can that be considered "fair play" but an owner wishing to spend his own money (when the vast majority of that money remains in the game) be considered unfair.

I think a number of things are evident from what I've taken from the well-argued and interesting exchanges in this thread so far:

- Platini doesn't seem to be consistent or even-handed in his message (it does appear that City for some strange reason have become a pet focus of his)

- Football is always evolving and as a complex system is still as unpredictable as ever (which is after all what makes it so enjoyable and exciting)

- You cannot compare apples to oranges (try as some might)

- It seems a little illogical in this day and age that if an independently wealthy benefactor (for any club) wants to pour money into the game why this should be unwelcome and legislated against, as long as it's not LEVERAGED and done through the raising of debt, what is wrong with this?

- We have political forces and vested interests in the game, not always for the greater good, but like most things a little luck and a little government is necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

I'm very thankful that at City, with the professionalism of our new owners (who are in a different league to Toxin, and those before him) with our resources which we don't have to worry about, we are well positioned to deal with whatever comes our way regarding FFP - which is still a loosely defined and evolving creature.

Unlike certain other clubs, I don't think we have anything to really worry about.

I think our owner know how to do business and will have researched the ffp rules and where we are? Remember these guys are the best business people around so would never jepodise our involvement in the champions league! Let the owner and board run the club and we've just got to support it and enjoy how bloody lucky we are!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.