Play Off for Champs League Place

One can see, this year in particular, has created as much interest in who grabs 4th spot as who’s going for the title. With the main players being City, Aston Villa ,spurs, and fading Liverpool. All have high quality fan bases. Greedy FA Officials and TV moguls have spotted a money spinning opportunity to create another competition targeting a definite earner, and will eventually squabble over TV Rights.Could be exciting though.

It's only because us, Spurs or Villa will replace Liverpool in 4th,
This way Liverpool could finish 7th below City, Spurs, Villa and still have a chance of Champ League

n_mcfc said:
Between 4th and 5th, maybe. Finishing 7th and getting in the CL is a disgrace.
Yes how can it be called the champions league surely it has to change its name if this comes to pass.

NiceN Sleazy said:
Can't really see UEFA allowing the Premier league to belittle their showcase event.

They already have a play-off system in Holland. Why would UEFA be OK with it there but not in England?

Personally I think it's a stupid idea.

To be honest this could be right up our street. We are all more than aware
of of our uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. We are
truly in the box seat for this years 4th place - but how many of us genuinely
believe we won't blow it with a run in where we have to play Arsenal, Villa
and the Rags?

However, it is not beyond the realms of realisitic probability that we will
finish in the top 7 in years to come. And with City being City we might, just might
beat anyone on our day in a play off competition.

Personally, I think the idea is a bad joke and shows up the EPL for exactly what it is:
A shameless, money grabbing operation run by self serving people, for self serving people
who could not careless about anything or anybody with the exception of money.
EPL - The game that is rapidly eating itself!

Troubadour said:
To be honest this could be right up our street. We are all more than aware
of of our uncanny ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. We are
truly in the box seat for this years 4th place - but how many of us genuinely
believe we won't blow it with a run in where we have to play Arsenal, Villa
and the Rags?

However, it is not beyond the realms of realisitic probability that we will
finish in the top 7 in years to come.
And with City being City we might, just might
beat anyone on our day in a play off competition.

Personally, I think the idea is a bad joke and shows up the EPL for exactly what it is:
A shameless, money grabbing operation run by self serving people, for self serving people
who could not careless about anything or anybody with the exception of money.
EPL - The game that is rapidly eating itself!

ye gods, a true optimist

For me personally it should be 1st & 2nd in the league and the winners of the FA cup and Carling cup that get the champions league places. If the cups go to either 1st or 2nd place teams in the prem the places should go to 3rd and 4th teams in the prem. That would mean the champs league is acually for the champions it also adds value to both our domestic cups.

Isn’t it called the champions league

So if they are going to change it only the champions get in by right with

2nd v 7th
3rd v 6th
4th v 5th

For the other 3 places,

Let’s see if the sky four would risk that, I mean letting other teams in their own little competition because they have a divine right to be the only one’s in it dont they

The whole thing is a cr-p idea, I actually agree with Wenger on this one if you qualify over 38 games you get in because you deserve it. No play off no second chances, earn the right

Our teams already play to many games in a season and now they want to add more to teams who will probably have smaller squads.
And when are these games going to take place at the end of the season when we have the FA cup final CL final and Europa Final,

You can just see what will happen an English team gets into a major final and plays its reserves because they have play off for the CL in three days.

It will happen; Villa chucked away the uafa cup because they thought they may get into the Champs league

An FA cup final with to academy teams playing in it

who is the genious behind this one Mr Bean

earn the right over the course of the season, end of really. mickey mouse cup winners to get champs league? europa at best and thats it. tv money has made a complete whore of this game. technically i agree a play off may well be to our benefit given our ability to shoot ourselves in the foot with our hands tied behind our backs but it's just the principle of it really.

slightly off topic but do most european countries have a secondary domestic cup like our league one or is it just us that has even more games? and whoever says there are too many games must be soft, anyone else here use to play 2 full games on a sunday afternoon?

If anything, 1st and 2nd should qualify then 3rd and 4th should compete for the place in the CL. 7th could be playing in the champs league being like 15-25 points behind the top two.

For once I agree with Allardyce, who the flying fuck thought of that!? Are they shit scared in case Liverpool or Arsenal don't finish in the top four?

Ridiculous - I think the winner of the Johnson's Paint Trophy should win a chance to play in the Premier League now that we're at it.

38 games is enough to decide whether or not you qualify - as simple as that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.