Player appreciation (how it should be!)

Tricky_Trev

So I'm currently living in Melbourne and have just got back from Melbourne City's first home match of the season (a no brainer to make them my second team!) and I was blown away by what happened at full time. Every single player, without exception, walks a full lap around the stadium, shaking the hand of every fan that decides to stay behind, and says thank you for coming. Posing for pictures, having random chats etc. It was incredible! I asked the regulars, and they do this every week. In the Premier League, half the squad disappears down the tunnel without even clapping. David Villa was still out there 30 minutes after the final whistle, but what was annoyingly apparent was how he was the only one that visibly didn't really want to be doing it. The big-earners in the game need a right good slap in the face!

As for the game itself, it finished 1-1, with David Villa (who else?) equalising. Remember when we got Robinho and had the hilarious situation where Robinho and Darius Vassell were in the same team as each other? It's like that, only Vassell's equivalent is Damien fucking Duff haha!

I don't know what the point of this thread is. I just wanted to share what I thought was something amazing from Melbourne City FC. Also, the ticket price was only £15 (equivalent), but that's a different topic altogether!

nhaRRD.jpg

U4zsdM.jpg

Tricky_Trev said:
So I'm currently living in Melbourne and have just got back from Melbourne City's first home match of the season (a no brainer to make them my second team!) and I was blown away by what happened at full time. Every single player, without exception, walks a full lap around the stadium, shaking the hand of every fan that decides to stay behind, and says thank you for coming. Posing for pictures, having random chats etc. It was incredible! I asked the regulars, and they do this every week. In the Premier League, half the squad disappears down the tunnel without even clapping. David Villa was still out there 30 minutes after the final whistle, but what was annoyingly apparent was how he was the only one that visibly didn't really want to be doing it. The big-earners in the game need a right good slap in the face!

As for the game itself, it finished 1-1, with David Villa (who else?) equalising. Remember when we got Robinho and had the hilarious situation where Robinho and Darius Vassell were in the same team as each other? It's like that, only Vassell's equivalent is Damien fucking Duff haha!

I don't know what the point of this thread is. I just wanted to share what I thought was something amazing from Melbourne City FC. Also, the ticket price was only £15 (equivalent), but that's a different topic altogether!

30 minutes is a long time.

How many fans were at the game? Imagine how long you could be posing for selfies at the Etihad? And that's without the need for the physios to get to work on injuries.

I do think the fans need a bit more access - I remember going to Platt Lane as a kid to get autographs from players as they finished training. Maybe with the move to the campus, they'll be able to hold some open sessions at the Minihad midweek when it doesn't interfere with tactics, allowing fans to watch and get some autographs and photos etc.

dobobobo said:
Tricky_Trev said:

Don't they need to do a warm down or whatever they call it? Might not be such a good idea in hindsight if half the players pull hamstrings or get calf strains next training session or full match.

That's a hell of a long time to be wandering round shaking hands and having your picture taken with some grinning goon.

I'm not expecting to see it happening at the Etihad anytime soon ;-)

dobobobo said:
Tricky_Trev said:

Yeah, those pizzas and stuff at the end of the game'd be going cold.

I'm not into having photos took with players but David Villa is one of the legends of the game and I would have stuck around for it. One of the greatest strikers ever, was part of two of the greatest teams ever, and is the record all-time goalscorer for Spain.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.