Player Topic: Raheem Sterling (2015/16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't look particularly effective but his defensive work was good and clever. Very tactically astute.

Tactical and Pellegrini really shouldn't be used in the same thread. The change played right into Swansea's hands, luckily it didn't cost us.

I'm not a huge fan but I feel sorry for him. He's so predictable on the left because of his lack of a left foot, cuts inside and it's easy to read and defend. Give him a game on the right for fuck's sake and see how he goes.

I'm not a huge fan but I feel sorry for him. He's so predictable on the left because of his lack of a left foot, cuts inside and it's easy to read and defend. Give him a game on the right for fuck's sake and see how he goes.
You'll then be saying he can't cross though. He's not a genuine winger, and that is the mistake people make.

He plays on the left because he is quite effective at cutting in, and his right foot is good. If he did it on the right, he'd have no shots, because he doesn't like doing much with his left foot.

I keep reading that people think he's intelligent, but I'm not sure, it could be that he over thinks things, but he makes some poor decisions, and makes me think that he lacks a football intelligence.

At 21, he's doing OK for me, I said at the start of the season, that he'd frustrate us, but he's scoring, and assisting, and he works quite hard, and that's all we can really ask of him. He's got some great players to learn from, and he seems happy, so let him develop without getting on his back, and lets hope we don't burn him out by over playing him.

You'll then be saying he can't cross though. He's not a genuine winger, and that is the mistake people make.

He plays on the left because he is quite effective at cutting in, and his right foot is good. If he did it on the right, he'd have no shots, because he doesn't like doing much with his left foot.

I keep reading that people think he's intelligent, but I'm not sure, it could be that he over thinks things, but he makes some poor decisions, and makes me think that he lacks a football intelligence.

At 21, he's doing OK for me, I said at the start of the season, that he'd frustrate us, but he's scoring, and assisting, and he works quite hard, and that's all we can really ask of him. He's got some great players to learn from, and he seems happy, so let him develop without getting on his back, and lets hope we don't burn him out by over playing him.
But just because he'd be on the right, it doesn't mean he would have to cut in to shoot. Look at the goal De Bruyne scored against Sevilla - right footed, from the right.

He's far too easy to read on the left. His right foot isn't that reliable when he uses his instep anyway (2nd Gladbach goal aside). He's missed a number of sitters from that kind of position. I could understand the hesitancy in trying him on the right if our natural winger was a goal scoring machine, but Navas hasn't scored for getting on for 60 games. it surely seems worth trying at some point. It's surely better than dragging him off at half time.

But just because he'd be on the right, it doesn't mean he would have to cut in to shoot. Look at the goal De Bruyne scored against Sevilla - right footed, from the right.

He's far too easy to read on the left. His right foot isn't that reliable when he uses his instep anyway (2nd Gladbach goal aside). He's missed a number of sitters from that kind of position. I could understand the hesitancy in trying him on the right if our natural winger was a goal scoring machine, but Navas hasn't scored for getting on for 60 games. it surely seems worth trying at some point. It's surely better than dragging him off at half time.
I'm not saying don't try him on the right, and we have at times in games swapped him with De Bruyne (not possible with Navas imho).

As for dragging him off at half time yesterday, none of us know why that happened, but it looked pre planned to me, as Delph was out warming up almost straight after the whistle went, and Kiddo even came out with a clip board to give him instructions, so maybe Sterling was just being rested, or was carrying a knock ?

Pretty sure de Bruyne cut in and scored with his left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.