Players that you didn't want city to sign

Maicon, Shay Given, Santa Cruz, Ben Haim etc.

I didn't really want us to sign Negredo. Not because I don't rate him (he's a very good player) but his signing told me that we were going to be playing 4-4-2 the majority of the time which is a difficult formation to get right in modern football.

doots said:
Tony Adcock said:
Nigel Clough.

Never rated him whoever he played for and certainly not the type of player we needed at that time...

And boy did he prove it !

Tony Adcock!

OK maybe I was no Aguero..........but I was a 1 in 3 man for City and got a hat trick !

Over the years we managed to dodge a few bullets and in hindsight better to have not signed them, the likes of kaka and rooney.

Of those that we did sign, I remembered I really didnt want McManaman at City, and didnt want Kanchelskis to get signed. Then there are the usual suspects like TBH, Rocky Santa and Jo.

Benjani and Caicedo were players that I wished we signed with a clearer vision of their roles. They never got to settle in much like Mario.

Further back in the years, I think we were quite good in the players punching above their weight level. It is only recently we have acquired a more exquisite taste for players and want specific traits.

Recently:
Garcia because he has had a career of not being quite good enough
Sinclair because i don't think he's ready to take the step up in quality
Maicon because we missed him at his best
Nasri because he's unreliable and had been at Arsenal
Clichy because even Arsenal didn't rate him especially highly in his last season there
Fernandinho because he was too expensive and too old
Silva because i wasn't sure that such a little fella could survive here and he wasn't cheap
Balotelli because his reputation precedes him despite the obvious talent

a mixed bag there, still not sure on Fernandinho. Silva and Clichy have been great. Nasri and Balotelli have City careers littered with inconsistency. Maicon, Garcia and Sinclair proved themselves ineffective.

Since the takeover there have few players that I didn't want to sign who we have, though a few I thought we got stung for.
The only two who I remember being pissed off with were Given and Sinclair.

Given because I wanted Hart to develop, in retrospect though I think the year at Birmingham slightly out of the spotlight followed by a year with Given as backup was actually pretty useful for us and him.

Sinclair because I rated him way below Johnson and did not see what he brought to the team.

Demichaelis is a player I have seen little of but I have to confess the average neutral observers view of him is flashing alarm bells.

Off the players we did not sign but were heavily linked with I did not want Terry or Rooney because I disliked them. Was not keen on VP as a person and as a player did not see where he would fit alongside Aguero and Balotelli (Still don't if they had been on form last season). I really did not want United to get him though as I thought he was a great fit for them.
I was really excited at the prospect of Kaka.

Pre takeover there were loads of players I was less than keen on. Keegan seemed particularly profligate with money spent on crocks or never will be's.
I have to say McManaman worried me little as I did not know the extent of his injuries. Trevor Sinclair at his age with his recent injury record seemed a ridiculously over priced signing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.