Players you badly misjudged after a game or two

I remember ingabritsken scored a hattrick and was never seen again.

I still maintain kernaghan was a legend,it was everyone else was pants.

I was totally off on Paul Bosvelt,the little gem.

And I really thought Dabo was a world class signing....

Bluemoon115 said:
Samaras came on against Newcastle - "I like the look of this guy, puts himself about and got a bit of strength"

This. He scored a header I think against West Ham in one of his first games, at the north Stand end when he leapt like a salmon and buried the header. I thought 'wow, this kid can play'.

Presumably, SP saw him as much as I did before deciding to play £6m for him.

Didsbury Dave said:
It is your duty as a football fan to make snap judgements about players. What else would there be to talk about after the game in the pub?

We've all got them right and also got them wrong. Who are the ones you got the most wrong?

Here's mine:

Carlos Tevez: after seeing him a few times for United and for his first 4 or 5 games for us, I thought he was all effort and industry and no end product. How wrong can you be? He's outstanding.

Lee Bradbury: I went to his first game, a friendly at Turf Moor. He scored a hattrick. I said to my Dad he looked as good as Shearer.

Michael Frontzec - after a few games I remember him juggling the ball during a dead ball situation in front of the STretford End. He looked cool as a cucumber. I remember thinking he was going to be our best left back for years.

Nick Fenton - rang my mate after his home debut and said "He was like ALan Hansen". I thought he was going right to the top. He did - to the top of Scottish Division 2.

Zabaleta - he looked a liablity during his first couple of games. Too slow, committed too many fouls. I thought he was a colossal waste of money. HE is slow, but he has adapted his game superbly now and is extremely versatile.

There's my top 5, which ones did you get wrong?

Great thread Dave. But fackin el, some shocking premature judgements there mate.

1. Terry Dunfield (although this is a bit of a strange one - because after his first team performance at the end of the season under Keegan, I suspect I'm not alone in having come away from that game, thinking we had a real player, I recall him spraying the ball around, having real composure) ... the rest really is history.

2. Mikhail Kavelashvili - not only did he come with the Kinkladze tag of 'he's a better player than me', but I remember going to Port Vale away, and seeing this lad do about 200 keepy upy's before the game, and all sorts of other tricks. I'm not one for getting carried away with this street soccer bollocks, hate kids who do hundreds of tricks, but when put into a real game situation, are shite, but with the Kinkladze comment behind him also, and my love for everything Georgian as a result, I sensed he was going to be something sensational. He wasn't.

3. Gary Mason - saw him training in a 5-a-side game at Platt Lane, and he looked the most composed player on the ball I had seen since Gaudino and thought he would be in the spine of our team for years to come and a future Scotland captain. His level literally was the 2nd division.

4. Claudio Reyna - when I saw we had signed him from Sunderland, I thought we were signing a fucking nobody, (I'll admit to throwing the 'he's a yank' point in there also), with absolutely no ability whatsoever. The truth is, he was no Jan Molby, but at the time for us, under Keegan, he ended up producing some consistent performances, and did get us passing the ball around in midfield.

How many others remember that cold winter's night (live on Sky) I think it was another Monday Night Footy game.

Wimbledon v City.

We managed to only lose 1-0, but it did not matter as we have unearthed a new gem - England's furure right back..none other than Richard Edghill...how wrong we all were.

dxb-blue said:
How many others remember that cold winter's night (live on Sky) I think it was another Monday Night Footy game.

Wimbledon v City.

We managed to only lose 1-0, but it did not matter as we have unearthed a new gem - England's furure right back..none other than Richard Edghill...how wrong we all were.

Edgehill was an excellent player for a few years, never quite the same after his cruciate, but he got some very unfair stick.

When he put that penalty away at Wembley and kissed the badge, he was close to tears. We all were.

Agree Edgey was an awesome potential, until the injury. Could play left or right, solid defensively despite his size, and decent going forward.

I was convinced he woudl miss that pen at Wembley, but he put it away with such finesse.

How about Mikhail Kavelashvilli? Was convinced he was the perfect Georgian finisher to compliment Kinky. Hardly got a game or a goal.

Mad Mario said:
mcmanaman was dynamite on his debut....then shite forever after!

Spent the rest of his City career 'pointing'

Pointing to others where they should be moving to whilst he had the ball

Yeah The goater and bradbury ones are those that stick out in my mind.

Other ones includes

- Danny MIlls- Had played at the WC, won the LC with Boro - thought he was gonna be ace and bar 'that' goal, and the pre-season against porto he was poor

- Michael Ball - PSV, LB, Left-foot, scored a screamer against preston on his debut (i think it was his debut). After that apart from stamping on Tranny, he didn't do much else

gio's side step said:
Mad Mario said:
mcmanaman was dynamite on his debut....then shite forever after!

Spent the rest of his City career 'pointing'

Pointing to others where they should be moving to whilst he had the ball

haha cue the nickname mcpointerman!

i thought ball did well for us condiering his pricetag, i liked him

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.