Plzen vs City post match analysis

tonea2003 said:
Georgian Maestro said:
It was obvious that Yaya was told to play further up the pitch and not come deep for the ball as he has in previous games this season which has caused us problems. That was key to our good performance

Exactly. My thoughts mate, miles more effective

Yaya is so dangerous when he is bombing on

Couldn't agree more. He just seems to dominate the final third of the field when he goes forward, to the point where he seems really to get bigger physically! Must scare the wits out of the defenders. I thought Fernandinho had a good match staying deeper, and doing what I thought he'd been bought to do - start attacks by moving the ball forward more quickly.

Thought yaya and aguero, s running from deep was awesome last nite would still like to see us play 3 in the middle giving yaya a free role somthink like this

HART

ZABBA KOMPANY NASTY CLICHY

FERNANDINHO

RODWELL

NAVAS YAYA SILVA

AGUERO

Pellegrini's influence-from a psychological POV,his encouragement of Dzeko continues to pay dividends. Time was when Edin's shoulders might've slumped after cocking up the cross from Kolarov.but he stayed focussed and clinically steered his shot home for the opener.Tactically, MP felt free to move Yaya forward, secure in the knowledge that Vince's return would solidify midfield as well as defence. Result, Yaya 's transformed from a miseryguts to a happy chappy, doing what he likes best, surging forward and so full of confidence he felt able to launch that devastating strike- like one of his killer free kicks except it was delivered on the run.
Kun looking like a world-class player again-low centre of gravity dribbling, low backlift power shooting, swivelling and shooting Gerd Muller-style for his goal AND -has MP had a word?-unselfishly laying the ball off to Dzeko when his strike partner's better placed.
Nasty's confidence well boosted by the skipper's return , looked cool and controlled in almost everthing he did.

Above all. VK's display. Cruyff said the one thing you must have to play attacking football without risk is a centre-back who combines physical strength with total composure.

Of course, '' it was only Viktoria Plzen' '' -but they knocked Napoli out of the Europa League last season and we've seen what Napoli can do !

I think that with Vinnie in the team the midfielders, like Yaya, don't have to stay so far back and pick up the ball when the likes of Lescott get it. VK is so cool on the ball: you can tell he's played a lot in midfield. This gives the rest of the team so much confidence, Yaya can push forward, Kun doesn't have to come back looking for the ball, and so on.

It's basically a knock-on effect, and it's why Kompany is so important for us.

BluessinceHydeRoad said:
I have been interested in the way Navas has been used. I expected, and I think others did as well, that Pellegrini might prefer to start with Milner, and bring Navas on when the play got stretched, say for the second half or the last half hour. In fact Pellegrini has done the opposite. Thoughts?

I have always thought those who felt this way, were consciously or subconsciously influenced by the fact that Milner is English. As I have often pointed out on many of the "Milner should start the next game" threads, Navas is every bit the hustling defender Milner is. And he has the added advantage of being faster. He broke up a particular play at Plzen, sprinting from the rightwing to make a DM like tackle/interception of what looked destined to be an effective counter. SImply put, Milner would never have made that play coz he simply doesn't have the speedy. Frankly no one other than Navas or Clichy could have made it.

So the often quoted defensive support reason for wanting Milner to start really is unfounded. Maybe not as good of a tackler, but a much quicker hustler than Milner, Navas. And offensively, he is still miles ahead.

Like I have said on many threads including the game thread, folks who are always trying to look for a way to insert Milner in their starting 11, really need to look at other positions, as he really is no match for Navas on the right wing. The starter there is Navas, and everyone else (including Milner) are distant backups. The left side is probably a better bet. I have said this before.

Ducado said:
So with Kompany back do we expect that YaYa will be playing further forward?

For Plzen, Pellegrini would've had goal difference in mind, expecting that Bayern would crush CSKA in the Allianz Arena. He would know CSKA can be a different proposition in their own stadium. He would like to finish 1st in the group if possible. So he was on the touchline urging the lads on for a fourth. Regarding the derby, he may take a more cautious approach, whatever he thinks will seal three points.

I liked the way kompany surged into midfield every time the ball came to him. Hopefully this can open up counter attacking opportunities for navas etc in the future when opposing teams throw men forward starting on sunday

daxman said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:
I have been interested in the way Navas has been used. I expected, and I think others did as well, that Pellegrini might prefer to start with Milner, and bring Navas on when the play got stretched, say for the second half or the last half hour. In fact Pellegrini has done the opposite. Thoughts?

I have always thought those who felt this way, were consciously or subconsciously influenced by the fact that Milner is English. As I have often pointed out on many of the "Milner should start the next game" threads, Navas is every bit the hustling defender Milner is. And he has the added advantage of being faster. He broke up a particular play at Plzen, sprinting from the rightwing to make a DM like tackle/interception of what looked destined to be an effective counter. SImply put, Milner would never have made that play coz he simply doesn't have the speedy. Frankly no one other than Navas or Clichy could have made it.

So the often quoted defensive support reason for wanting Milner to start really is unfounded. Maybe not as good of a tackler, but a much quicker hustler than Milner, Navas. And offensively, he is still miles ahead.

Like I have said on many threads including the game thread, folks who are always trying to look for a way to insert Milner in their starting 11, really need to look at other positions, as he really is no match for Navas on the right wing. The starter there is Navas, and everyone else (including Milner) are distant backups. The left side is probably a better bet. I have said this before.

Your case is a well reasoned one, bit I am not influenced by the fact that Milner is English. I asked simply for thoughts on the approach outlined in the post and i thank everyone for those put forward. Navas is a very exciting player and potentially a real "shock trooper".

daxman said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:

Your case is a well reasoned one, bit I am not influenced by the fact that Milner is English. I asked simply for thoughts on the approach outlined in the post and i thank everyone for those put forward. Navas is a very exciting player and potentially a real "shock trooper".<br /><br />-- Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:58 pm --<br /><br />
daxman said:
BluessinceHydeRoad said:

Your case is a well reasoned one, bit I am not influenced by the fact that Milner is English. I asked simply for thoughts on the approach outlined in the post and i thank everyone for those put forward. Navas is a very exciting player and potentially a real "shock trooper".

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.