Points for goals scored?

Ian_CTID

Idea taken from rugby, a bonus point for 3/4 goals scored in a match. Think it would make a much more interesting proposition. Any thought?

What if say, say City are playing QPR on the last day of the season, City needing a win for the title and QPR just needing a point to remain safe, what's to stop the two teams carving up a result that suits both?
Not saying either club would necessarily do such a thing but well, stranger fixes have occurred and, if they had been able to (yes, I know they obviously did no such thing) a few years ago, fans could have been denied one of the greatest moments in the history of the game.
So, no. Not for me. No as long as there's a losing bonus point involved, anyway.

What if say, say City are playing QPR on the last day of the season, City needing a win for the title and QPR just needing a point to remain safe, what's to stop the two teams carving up a result that suits both?
Not saying either club would necessarily do such a thing but well, stranger fixes have occurred and, if they had been able to (yes, I know they obviously did no such thing) a few years ago, fans could have been denied one of the greatest moments in the history of the game.
So, no. Not for me. No as long as there's a losing bonus point involved, anyway.

Say you have the same scenario under the current rules but both teams need just one point to secure what they want. What's to stop them conspiring to make sure the result is a draw? Besides, in a league where you get extra points for goals scored, you won't be able to say for definite that one point would be enough because if a rival scores 3, you need another one. Are you going to see teams conspiring to score 6 each, "just in case"? Not unless they want it to be obvious it's rigged you're not.

Despite that, I'm not sure if I like this. I feel like this is the kind of rule that foreign tournament organisers put into a preseason competition if they are scared the punters will get bored by tame football. It's a gimmick. If you start opening up football to this then how long til you get rules coming along saying things like penalties are worth half a goal because they require less skill, or managers 3 times a season can play an "overtime" card allowing them 10 more minutes to try to find a goal, or draws are decided by a crossbar competition? I know that people want to encourage more attacking football but there has to be better ways of achieving it.

Say you have the same scenario under the current rules but both teams need just one point to secure what they want. What's to stop them conspiring to make sure the result is a draw? Besides, in a league where you get extra points for goals scored, you won't be able to say for definite that one point would be enough because if a rival scores 3, you need another one. Are you going to see teams conspiring to score 6 each, "just in case"? Not unless they want it to be obvious it's rigged you're not.

Despite that, I'm not sure if I like this. I feel like this is the kind of rule that foreign tournament organisers put into a preseason competition if they are scared the punters will get bored by tame football. It's a gimmick. If you start opening up football to this then how long til you get rules coming along saying things like penalties are worth half a goal because they require less skill, or managers 3 times a season can play an "overtime" card allowing them 10 more minutes to try to find a goal, or draws are decided by a crossbar competition? I know that people want to encourage more attacking football but there has to be better ways of achieving it.
I like all of your ideas. Keep them coming.

Anything that makes the game more exciting and promotes more goals would be welcome in my book. I'd start with banning the clear obstruction when defenders are seeing balls out that are crawling across he line for a goal kick. Awarding free kicks when defenders fail to play the ball out of that position would add a lot more excitement to the game without any big changes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.