• Helen Glover -Rowing

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Ed Clancy -Cycling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nicola Adams -Boxing

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dumb question. Does Northern Ireland compete with team Great Britain? If so why don't they just call it team UK? Isn't Great Britain just England/Scotland/Wales?

...Okay 3 dumb questions

They have the choice of representing either Great Britain or the Republic of Ireland.

I thought most 'Muricans believe that Great Britain is part of London...

;-)
Well some ‘Muricans I spoke to in Washington (USA not Co Durham) asked me which State England was in!!

I suppose I should have said either UK or Great Britain rather than England when I was asked where I was from. Just think how I would have confused them if I’d said Manchester they’d have said ah New Hampshire. :-)

Dumb question. Does Northern Ireland compete with team Great Britain? If so why don't they just call it team UK? Isn't Great Britain just England/Scotland/Wales?

...Okay 3 dumb questions
Its not a dumb question at all - they seem to plug the Team GB brand when it is in fact a UK team.

They have the choice of representing either Great Britain or the Republic of Ireland.
Most of the high profile Northern Ireland competitors seem to be with the Republic team
Wiffen gold medal swimmer, McLeneghan gold medal gymnastics and Rory McIlroy and a good few of the athletes.
As do the team sports players like the hockey and rugby players.

...Okay 3 dumb questions
The main issue is the UK have always competed as Great Britain at the Olympics so changing to UK would be a seismic change. It also causes issues with competitors from the Isle of Man and Channel Islands who aren’t technically part of the UK plus the British Overseas Territories so you replace one problem with another, even if it affects less athletes. Politically those places are less-sensitive and unlikely to want to represent another country (such as Northern Irish athletes might, and usually do). Team GB is just shorthand but there isn’t really anything else seeing as we are and always have been a collection of very different peoples. I’d be more than happy to break up into the separate UK nations personally but then there’s the issue with funding.

We have a strange history but it is what it is.

Thank you. I’m still trying to decide though. I know which woman I would vote for but that would have left me not being able to vote for Matthew Pinsent.
Ah well, Helen Glover gets the vote for a female. :-)
I’ve gone for Helen Glover. Not because of the ‘mum of three’ thing but for the rowing, mind you Pinsent was incredible too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.