Porto (h) post-match thread

Looking at the result, a 3-1 result against anyone in Europe should be a good night, but I was disappointed overall.

I didn't like the line up and as I've said many times before, if you line up with any 2 from Rodri, Gundo and Fernandinho it's a pedestrian midfield.

Let's be honest, Porto are a team who will do well to finish in the last 16, no more than that. Slightly awkward to play against with a packed defence but I didn't see anything in them overall to think they were a difficult team to beat. The ref was shocking, he was like a cow on the pitch at times - constantly in the way and blocking passes. What do you expect though from a man who refs games in Latvia? You might as well pick from one the Vanarama league or whatever it's called now. Porto dived, cheating... usual European football stuff. I find it really hard to watch this stuff with awful teams and appalling referees. Say what you like about PL refs, they are worlds apart from the dross they serve up in the CL.

However, none of this should come as a surprise to us in the CL as it's the norm.

I struggle to understand why we pick Garcia. He's made it clear he wants to leave and whilst he didn't have a bad game, we shouldn't be picking him. Simple as that for me.

What got me was he manner in which we conceded the first goal had our weaknesses all over. The guy didn't even face a tackle after a 30-40 yard run around our box. The defending was abysmal. I'm sorry, but these goals mean we will never win the CL. It was comical almost and until Pep, or the coaches, get to grips with these kinds of goals the CL just isn't going to happen. You can't win it if you have soft goals inside you. It might sound daft saying it, but teams such as Porto and Athletico Madrid probably have a better chance than us simply because they are hard to beat.

We also picked up 5 bookings and an injury to Fernandinho.

Overall, another "meh" game. I'll take the win but looking at at the pattern of the last year, we're simply not improving are we?

Few thoughts Porto players were a disgrace. Their manager was an embarrassment and his hassling the ref at the end was a joke. Pepe is and always has been a cheat and a thug. The referee was so weak and how we ended up with 5 yellows when Pepe should have had at least that amount on is own is anyones guess. So glad we got the 3 points to shut them up.

Onto us - I thought we played too slow in the first half but stepped up the pace in the second and that was why we won. I thought Garcia for all the flack he's had on BM played really well in the second and was committed to tackles plus his passing improved - fair play to the lad. Cancelo is not a left back but did ok. Dias responded well after one mistake and guided the defence well. Gundo was a bit negative but what a great free kick. Bernardo never stopped running as usual despite not being one of his best, I'd still want him in the trenches. Phil looked full of running and his link up play was excellent just when we needed it. Ferran is going to be a star and should be starting now. I was really impressed with the way he helped Cancelo defend late on when they threw players forward and his goal was fantastic. Sergio got more mins which is a bonus but is still short of fitness. Sterling was very quiet but his movement off the ball was still good.

Now onto my mate Mahrez - yet again he was a big let down - two easy chances missed and he showed no desire to help get back at all. Also his movement when our defenders had possession was woeful which meant they had no real chance of playing through an early ball. I know there are those who love him but once again for me, it is as clear as day he is the weak link - Ferran and to an extent their Columbian winger (when he stayed on his feet) showed how you should attack a retreating defence. The sooner he is on the bench the better.

So happy with the win, onto the next one. Slowly getting there boys.

Porto's gamesmanship tactics reminded me of Allardyce's Bolton and Moyes' Everton, a horrible team. Showed character to come from behind and win, hopefully nothing serious for Fern. Walker MOTM for me.
They were bad, Pepe continually moaning at the ref, Walker was awesome a total machine! - Thought Foden and Torres were also really good.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.