"Possession" bandwagon

Big Swifty said:
All and sundry in the media are banging on about how England must learn to retain possession of the ball. One says it, they all say it. OK, England do give the ball away unnecessarily (usually "Scotty" Parker), but if passing statistics (i.e. defenders tapping the ball to one another and back again) and possession mean taking no risks and finding the killer pass/cross, as Spain do ad nauseam, then I want no part of it and pray that the Premier League doesn't go that way. A game of 120 minutes (Sp v Portugal) with one shot one target is simply going to kill football. Passing and possession are means to an end. The end seems to have escaped a lot of pundits (self-styled). This is anti-football. Doesn't anyone agree with me?

England's problem is not possession. England's problem is not being able to understand the concept of spacing, movement and channels. You can't "bomb forward" in a straight line without a plan.

While Scott Parker has some good defensive qualities, if you can't make an accurate forward pass then what's the point of you being on the pitch?? Gerarrd can't seem to understand that sometimes the simple pass is the best option available. And when you look at the bench, they had Jordan Henderson who doesn't inspire much confidence. I think Jonjo Shelvey is better than Henderson and i'm not even a pool fan.

Germany had way more possession than italy but Italy still dominated the game.

To improve our possession stats we have to first learn to improve our first touch and get the ball under control in less than an eon, then we might finally start to look comfortable on the ball and not give it away

to those that think spain are boring , go and watch them live. i agree that they havent set the euros alight yet but they are still in the finals. go and watch them live they are totally different to what you see on the box

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.