Post Match Thread: Election 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I agree with you they have a role to play - I am a suit myself! - what I am against is the kind of attitude that disregards the fact that no wealth can be created without the people that do the actual labour. And to be clear, I am not saying you have this attitude, I am just saying not to buy into the language of the right which raises entrepreneurs and 'wealth creators' up on a pedestal.

As far as the accordingly question goes, I actually do think they have a right to pay the bare minimum of wages if that is what they want to do but that is up to the workers to organise themselves both in the workplace and politically in order to prevent them from doing so. As I see it, it isn't really a question of rights or morality but a question of political power and the nature of the ownership of the means of production which stems from that political power. (Edit: or vice versa, as a good marxist would actually say that the political structure is determined by the ownership of the means of production!)

The workers shouldn't be happy to be in a position where they are dependent on the goodwill or morality of the bosses to have a decent wage. Goodwill and morality can too easily go out the window when times get tough!

Ah, so is it a problem when the Tories set out to smash unions then or was it their right to do so...??

Mate, you wouldn't recognise an industrial strategy if Gideon rolled it up, stuck it up your arse and set fire to it.

So his efforts to rebalance the economy to the north from London were not a good thing? I don't really get your comment above?

5bQxXEC.jpg

He's leaving front line politics to spend more time with his prejudices.

So his efforts to rebalance the economy to the north from London were not a good thing? I don't really get your comment above?

It was at best sticky back plastic and glitter.

Like so many sound bite policies there was a bag of crumbs on offer and Manchester snaffled them, on the basis that something is better than nothing.

It was at best sticky back plastic and glitter.

Like so many sound bite policies there was a bag of crumbs on offer and Manchester snaffled them, on the basis that something is better than nothing.

So you have no idea what he did??? So resort to rhetoric. Admit it?

So you have no idea what he did??? So resort to rhetoric. Admit it?

I know what he did, I worked with UKTI which was part of BIS at the time, but it got spun out into DIT, which looks like its days are numbered.

UKTI dealt with inward investment and the North West region of UKTI (now DIT) was due to be rolled in to a northern powerhouse super region. It never happened, the regional development plans are all there, increasing infrastructure spend, particularly on transport between the great northern cities from Sheffield to Leeds, to Liverpool, with Manchester at its centre, there are plans to up-skill the work force to address the regions poor productivity and a whole bunch of other schemes but all these plans existed before, drafted by the regional development agencies, before the Tories disbanded them, but they were kept kept alive like a flickering flame by various local councils. Nothing Gideon offered was new and what little funding there was available was less than the budgets of the old regional development agencies, coupled with the cuts, every part of the north west receives considerably less now than it did before 2010 and Gideon's cuts.

As the head of my local region stated in 2015 at our first regional meeting after the general election of that year "This government has no industrial strategy" and he's a diehard Tory. The government does what every Tory government does, they tell you what the problems are, and because these problems are all well known, they can speak with authority about them, and then they put in place policies that sound impressive but are completely hollow, there's nothing in them whatsoever. The Tories do this all the time, housing is probably the best example of the illusion of activity to address a problem, because the government cannot be seen to be doing nothing, but nothing of substance comes from these policies, the housing crisis is never solved, because they have no intention of solving it. Tory policies on regional development, housing, social care and a whole host of other issues like "just getting by families" are not designed to solve the problem, because in tandem there are a whole bunch of "real" Tory policies that actually makes things worse. These fake policies are designed to be seen to be doing something, because it would be politically unacceptable to be seen to be doing nothing.

Last edited:
Yesterday will always be remembered as the day we allowed racist, homophobic, anti abortion terrorists to have a say on how our country will be run.

For me, it will always be remembered for c400 people being burned alive.

The fall out from this could be massive, from council to ministerial.

Yesterday for me puts the terrorist threat into perspective. It's awful, but yesterday's events were beyond horrific.

I know what he did, I worked with UKTI which was part of BIS at the time, but it got spun out into DIT, which looks like its days are numbered.

UKTI dealt with inward investment and the North West region of UKTI (now DIT) was due to be rolled in to a northern powerhouse super region. It never happened, the regional development plans are all there, increasing infrastructure spend, particularly on transport between the great northern cities from Sheffield to Leeds, to Liverpool, with Manchester at its centre, there are plans to up-skill the wok force to address the regions poor productivity and a whole bunch of other schemes but all these plans existed before, drafted by the regional development agencies, before the Tories disbanded them, but they were kept kept alive like a flickering flame by various local councils. Nothing Gideon offered was new and what little funding there was available was less than the budgets of the old regional development agencies, coupled with the cuts, every part of the north west receives considerably less now than it did before 2010 and Gideon's cuts.

As the head of my local region stated in 2015 at our first regional meeting after the general election of that year "This government has no industrial strategy" and he's a diehard Tory. The government does what every Tory government does, they tell you what the problems are, and because these problems are all well known, they can speak with authority about them, and then they put in place policies that sound impressive but are completely hollow, there's nothing in them whatsoever. The Tories do this all the time, housing is probably the best example of the illusion of activity to address a problem, because the government cannot be seen to be doing nothing, but nothing of substance comes from these policies, the housing crisis is never solved, because they have no intention of solving it. Tory policies on regional development, housing, social care and a whole host of other issues like "just getting by families" are not designed to solve to the problem, because in tandem there are a whole bunch of "real" Tory policies that actually makes things worse. These fake policies are designed to be seen to be doing something, because it would be politically unacceptable to be seen to be doing nothing.

Well in PF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.