Prem Squad valuations June 2014

Bewar3them00n

In the Mail ( spit) a run down of the Prem teams squad market value ( couldn't link it on ipad sorry!, just look on their site)

Man City £ 311.3
Chelsea £ 310.5
Liverpool £300.8
Arsenal £288.7
Man UTD £220.2
Spurs £207.3

Something that was constantly used to hit us with, was our expensively assembled squad, particularly by Brendan Rodgers, who probably slipped into every interview! I hope he, and the other Liverpool mafia see this, the media in particular, pushed the fact that his team were over achieving by some considerable margin, this list begs to differ, and simply reflects that they were pretty much on par.
If you take into consideration no Euro evolvement, and an early exit in the Cups, it paints a less than rosy picture of Rodgers and his management skills, something that many on here hi lighted, and even predicted a Devon Lock scenario, where Liverpool would stutter, and ultimately fall.

Liverpool had a great year but it was mostly down to a complete freakish goalscoring record. Most teams like Liverpool get caught out because they cannot score and otherwise are inept defensively. It's funny because Chelsea are the defensive team who attack and Liverpool are the attacking team that can't defend - it's fitting that the team who defends well but also attacks well wins the league, we struck that balance perfectly this year.

Surely of that £300M, Suarez would be worth probably at least 1/4 of it. I can't think of a single other Liverpool player I'd pay more than £30M for, possibly Sterling or Sturridge but they have just had good years, there is no proof that it will carry on. History tells us that most of the time strikers have a great year and then a quiet one and Sturridge had the same some of fall at Chelsea. Suarez has however been pretty consistent in the Premier League - for pure goalscoring he has to be amongst the top lot now. He's probably worth right now well in excess of £60M but other than that Liverpool are a pretty average team and I'm a bit surprised their valuation is that high.

Liverpool will always have the same problems because I seriously do not believe their manager has the brains to think about being defensive or setup them up to be so. Prime example is Liverpool were 3-0 up at Palace and instead of shutting up shop they went for more and it cost them 2 points. He simply cannot do that in Europe and it is probably what lost them their places in all the cups too. If they strengthened defensively I'd be getting worried but there is zero talk of them signing anyone to solve their unseen problems at the back.

Chelsea are probably the biggest underachievers but are also the biggest threat in the future. If they work out how to score goals then we could be in trouble because Mourinho teams don't get built to concede goals.

Bewar3them00n said:
In the Mail ( spit) a run down of the Prem teams squad market value ( couldn't link it on ipad sorry!, just look on their site)

Man City £ 311.3
Chelsea £ 310.5
Liverpool £300.8
Arsenal £288.7
Man UTD £220.2
Spurs £207.3

Something that was constantly used to hit us with, was our expensively assembled squad, particularly by Brendan Rodgers, who probably slipped into every interview! I hope he, and the other Liverpool mafia see this, the media in particular, pushed the fact that his team were over achieving by some considerable margin, this list begs to differ, and simply reflects that they were pretty much on par.
If you take into consideration no Euro evolvement, and an early exit in the Cups, it paints a less than rosy picture of Rodgers and his management skills, something that many on here hi lighted, and even predicted a Devon Lock scenario, where Liverpool would stutter, and ultimately fall.

If this is current market value, rather than actual cost, I don't understand your logic.

Bewar3them00n said:

Man City £ 311.3
Chelsea £ 310.5
Liverpool £300.8
Arsenal £288.7
Man UTD £220.2
Spurs £207.3

Its not related to transfer fees paid but current market value. Top PL players were Suarez at around 70 mil and Hazard at 60mil.

Bewar3them00n said:

Man City £ 311.3
Chelsea £ 310.5
Liverpool £300.8
Arsenal £288.7
Man UTD £220.2
Spurs £207.3

Thought this had some merit until I got to the rags, unless this should read, two hundred and twenty pounds and twenty pence... Its bollocks... !!!

Blue Til Death said:
Thought this had some merit until I got to the rags, unless this should read, two hundred and twenty pounds and twenty pence... Its bollocks... !!!

You'd have to assume the £220m includes Phil Jones's imaging rights.

sir baconface said:
Blue Til Death said:
Bewar3them00n said:

Man City £ 311.3
Chelsea £ 310.5
Liverpool £300.8
Arsenal £288.7
Man UTD £220.2
Spurs £207.3

You'd have to assume the £220m includes Phil Jones's imaging rights.

No mate, Jim Henson gets all his image rights.. ;-)

The article makes a couple of glaring errors. If the £1 billion figure is true, that needs to include players bought that have subsequently been sold so the net is not £1 billion. I also think the £1 billion often touted includes wages and infrastructure. So in short it is an headline rather than an article. Rant over and on to the study.

Interesting figures for a couple of players - It is saying we overpaid for Sergio and Silva, as the market has clearly moved since 2010&2011, yet their values have moved not at all or only slightly - not sure this makes sense. Their ages would still suggest they are either at their peak or not yet at their peak so this should not impact the value. The only thing they might have considered with Sergio is injuries, but am not sure that makes sense as it is a recent issue rather than a long term problem.

I am sure we would all agree Hart, Zabba, VK, Yaya, Silva and Aguero have been bargains to name but a few. That is less than £100m spent on 6 players that if sold tomorrow must surely go for nearly double that figure.

Not worth getting to bothered about but amazing that they also want people to pay for the detail!

Seems a little light for me just thinking about City as I don't know the other teams' squads so well.

Kun = £60 million (but for his injuries he'd be another £80 million player).
Dzeko = £25 million
Merlin = £40 million
Nasri = £25 million
Yaya = £25 million (only because of his age)
Fernandinho = £25 million (only because of his age)
Vinnie = £30 million
Hart = £20 million

That's £250 million and I've been relatively conservative with some of the valuations allowing for age.

Jovetic = £15 million (probably a lot more if he says clear of injuries next season)
Zabs = £15 million
Kolarov = £10 million
Navas = £10 million
Negredo= £15 million (on the basis his form returns to anything like the first half of last season)
Milner = £10 million
Garcia = £10 million

That's £335 million. Then into the bargain basement

Nasty = £6 million
Clichy = £3 million
Rodwell = £3 million
Richards = £2 million
Boyata = £0.5 million
Demechelis = £0.5 million

That's another £15 million giving an aggregate of £350 million.

That's also assuming the rest of the squad players wouldn't fetch a bean including the likes of Lopes and Huws et al and really those sorts of players can usually fetch a fee based on their potential. Might even get £2-3 million for Lopes as he has that continental close control and ability to find space for a young kid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.