Premier League Games 15/16/17

A few comments regarding the Arsenal match:

First one: Last 10-12' were torture, I'm becoming too old for this...

It took Moyes ages to freshen up his team. As much as you would hope there is still a transition in them for the winning goal, with the clock ticking it seemed that WH players would be satisfied with the point, defending for their lives. And you can never, NEVER, rely on WH defending deep...

It could have been a different story if people like Cornet and Fornals were introduced earlier, but on 87', 88' and 91' you cannot realistically expect an impact on the balance of the match. Good thing is that their full backs seemed solid against very dangerous wingers, yet you cannot trust their central defense...

Which means that when, on 92', they win that corner, of course I'm hoping for something, like everybody on this forum, I guess. But if I'm honest, my primary concern is the possible counter attack they will concede, with the scoreline at 2-2, playing at home, in injury time: You see, WH are the ideal team to ridiculously throw everything away, having self destructed numerous times over the years...

4 points above the relegation zone as we speak, with a game in hand, good luck to Moyes and his team, domestically as well as in Europe. As for Arsenal, Arteta cannot feel satisfied regarding his team reaction. They were playing against a team struggling just above the relegation zone, a team that played in Belgium for the EL 3 days ago. After throwing away a 2 goals lead, their game between the lines (an area they have shown significant improvement this season) in the final stages of the match, was rather slow and predictable, pretty indicative of the psychological pressure. 72% possession, as much as it was expected, didn't mean that much overall, Arsenal and WH enjoyed approximately the same amount of final attempts. I was afraid that they could find a lethal action and save the day, like they've done so many times this season, it never happened. Lack of a clear mind in their moves was more than obvious...

Bottom line: Arsenal had no CL football this season, they are already out of the EL, also out of the FA Cup. Which means that Arteta has the luxury of preparing for one game per week. They've come too far, I don't expect them to give up. City, on the other hand, are fighting on 3 fronts and Pep lacks the resources. It seems that some people suddenly woke up last night, like they actually needed "evidence based on that match" (vs Leicester) to reach that conclusion. No idea why, all they had to do is take a look at our bench in every single match this season -and compare it with the resources every single team participating in the PL enjoys. Watching us vs Palace a few weeks ago, I found out that City are the club that has used the least amount of players in the PL. Hardly a surprise, of course, still incredible. Not to mention, unfathomable. I mean, we are indeed talking about the champions of England, right? A team fighting for every possible trophy out there, like we've consistently done since Pep's arrival...

Discussing his work, Andy Morisson, a man I deeply respect for his quality as a human being, used the term "science" a few days ago. He also talked about "...reinventing football". Couldn't have summed it better myself. Once again, Pep is finding solutions, effectively beating, so far at least, unbelievable limitations, associated with specific positions, nevermind the energy levels within his squad. Limitations that inevitably occur out of a thin squad. Limitations that would have literally broken every other colleague of him out there, but not himself. And once again, he keeps delivering by violating basic principles of the game, and introducing his own (which I said he would if necessary, in a post I wrote in the summer). In the framework of a strategy aiming to hide a variety of weaknesses and constraints, occasionally transforming some of them into decisive strengths. With the team rapidly absorbing and applying new ideas and innovations. And the boys responding with sweat and blood, as always. What we are witnessing is a combination of sheer excellence and sacrifice, nothing more, nothing less...

Under such circumstances, it's already a miracle, one of so many in this wonderful journey, we've come so far. And if somehow we manage once again to pull this off, personally I will need serious, very serious help in order to find a way to describe it. You see, my English are not that good...

Last edited:

It took Moyes ages to freshen up his team. As much as you would hope there is still a transition in them for the winning goal, with the clock ticking it seemed that WH players would be satisfied with the point, defending for their lives. And you can never, NEVER, rely on WH defending deep...

It could have been a different story if people like Cornet and Fornals were introduced earlier, but on 87', 88' and 91' you cannot realistically expect an impact on the balance of the match. Good thing is that their full backs seemed solid against very dangerous wingers, yet you cannot trust their central defense...

Which means that when, on 92', they win that corner, of course I'm hoping for something, like everybody on this forum, I guess. But if I'm honest, my primary concern is the possible counter attack they will concede, with the scoreline at 2-2, playing at home, in injury time: You see, WH are the ideal team to ridiculously throw everything away, having self destructed numerous times over the years...

There wasn’t any need to ‘freshen’ things up , we were well on top that second half. He made tactical changes at the end to see out the game. Top game management.

4 points above the relegation zone as we speak, with a game in hand, good luck to Moyes and his team, domestically as well as in Europe. As for Arsenal, Arteta cannot feel satisfied regarding his team reaction. They were playing against a team struggling just above the relegation zone, a team that played in Belgium for the EL 3 days ago. After throwing away a 2 goals lead, their game between the lines (an area they have shown significant improvement this season) in the final stages of the match, was rather slow and predictable, pretty indicative of the psychological pressure. 72% possession, as much as it was expected, didn't mean that much overall, Arsenal and WH enjoyed approximately the same amount of final attempts. I was afraid that they could find a lethal action and save the day, like they've done so many times this season, it never happened. Lack of a clear mind in their moves was more than obvious...

Bottom line: Arsenal had no CL football this season, they are already out of the EL, also out of the FA Cup. Which means that Arteta has the luxury of preparing for one game per week. They've come too far, I don't expect them to give up. City, on the other hand, are fighting on 3 fronts and Pep lacks the resources. It seems that some people suddenly woke up last night, like they actually needed "evidence based on that match" (vs Leicester) to reach that conclusion. No idea why, all they had to do is take a look at our bench in every single match this season -and compare it with the resources every single team participating in the PL enjoys. Watching us vs Palace a few weeks ago, I found out that City are the club that has used the least amount of players in the PL. Hardly a surprise, of course, still incredible. Not to mention, unfathomable. I mean, we are indeed talking about the champions of England, right? A team fighting for every possible trophy out there, like we've consistently done since Pep's arrival...

Discussing his work, Andy Morisson, a man I deeply respect for his quality as a human being, used the term "science" a few days ago. He also talked about "...reinventing football". Couldn't have summed it better myself. Once again, Pep is finding solutions, effectively beating, so far at least, unbelievable limitations, associated with specific positions, nevermind the energy levels within his squad. Limitations that inevitably occur out of a thin squad. Limitations that would have literally broken every other colleague of him out there, but not himself. And once again, he keeps delivering by violating basic principles of the game, and introducing his own (which I said he would if necessary, in a post I wrote in the summer). In the framework of a strategy aiming to hide a variety of weaknesses and constraints, occasionally transforming some of them into decisive strengths. With the team rapidly absorbing and applying new ideas and innovations. And the boys responding with sweat and blood, as always. What we are witnessing is a combination of sheer excellence and sacrifice, nothing more, nothing less...

Under such circumstances, it's already a miracle, one of so many in this wonderful journey, we've come so far. And if somehow we manage once again to pull this off, personally I will need serious, very serious help in order to find a way to describe it. You see, my English are not that good...

Great post.

TLDR: Cockney Bottlers.

There wasn’t any need to ‘freshen’ things up , we were well on top that second half. He made tactical changes at the end to see out the game. Top game management.
That's not what I saw, my friend, the team clearly lacked energy in the final stages, therefore practically inviting Arsenal in their own third. David, quite unnecessarily, took huge risks which could have cost...

It's OK though, we agree to disagree. As I said, congratulations and good luck, domestically as well as abroad.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.