Premier League games 27/28 August '22

Is that a fact? I clearly remember the season before Keegan became your manager and you were languishing low in the second tier very low attendances. Not that I have paid much attention to Newcastle gates but the subsequent surge in numbers was noticeable.

My footballing memory goes back to 1980 (hence the username) and my perception is that city and Sunderland have had big crowds home and away in spite of poor results and performances whether Newcastle tend to vote with their feet.
Newcastle have had the highest average attendances in England 10 times, the mackems have never done that in their entire history. We averaged 16,834 during the full season before Keegan arrived, we were in the second division, the mackems had 22,577 in the top division.

People were sick of the club as we'd recently sold Beardsley, Gascoigne and Chris Waddle and the club was just the same as under Ashley, we existed to exist. A lot stayed away to try and force change and it worked.

Keegan came in towards the end of the 1991/92 season and our average league attendance in division 2 was 21,148 Sunderland had 18,390 in the same division. Only 12 teams had a higher average attendance that season and they were all in the top division. The first full season under Keegan and our crowds average was 29,018 and only beaten by 4 teams in the top division, Liverpool, Man U, Villa and Leeds.

I don’t know about you but I don’t mind not winning anything as long as we try to be the best that we can. That wasn’t the case in the late 80’s/early 90’s, or under Ashley.

Newcastle have had the highest average attendances in England 10 times, the mackems have never done that in their entire history. We averaged 16,834 during the full season before Keegan arrived, we were in the second division, the mackems had 22,577 in the top division.

People were sick of the club as we'd recently sold Beardsley, Gascoigne and Chris Waddle and the club was just the same as under Ashley, we existed to exist. A lot stayed away to try and force change and it worked.

Keegan came in towards the end of the 1991/92 season and our average league attendance in division 2 was 21,148 Sunderland had 18,390 in the same division. Only 12 teams had a higher average attendance that season and they were all in the top division. The first full season under Keegan and our crowds average was 29,018 and only beaten by 4 teams in the top division, Liverpool, Man U, Villa and Leeds.

I don’t know about you but I don’t mind not winning anything as long as we try to be the best that we can. That wasn’t the case in the late 80’s/early 90’s, or under Ashley.
I guess that proves us both right. You have high average crowds but you vote with your feet when performances are rubbish. I will give you the point that it is not about winning things (FA cup 1955! FaIrs cup 1969! League 1927!!) you have clearly been patient on that front. However both city and Sunderland always had the highest attendances outside of the top flight when things were really rough, I think that’s why there is a lot of respect between the fans, well from our perspective anyway!

I guess that proves us both right. You have high average crowds but you vote with your feet when performances are rubbish. I will give you the point that it is not about winning things (FA cup 1955! FaIrs cup 1969! League 1927!!) you have clearly been patient on that front. However both city and Sunderland always had the highest attendances outside of the top flight when things were really rough, I think that’s why there is a lot of respect between the fans, well from our perspective anyway!

Out of the 3 clubs, Newcastle have had the highest average crowd outside of the top division. In 1947/48 we averaged 56,283 over the season and we averaged 51,106 in the same division in 2016/17. I should add that these are league games only.

All 3 clubs have had far better support when shit than they deserved.

Out of the 3 clubs, Newcastle have had the highest average crowd outside of the top division. In 1947/48 we averaged 56,283 over the season and we averaged 51,106 in the same division in 2016/17. I should add that these are league games only.

All 3 clubs have had far better support when shit than they deserved.
Yeah, but how tall were your floodlights!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.