Premier League's own FFP restrictions?

LoveCity

Is this something we should be worried about? Not only FFP for Champions League but Premier League. What a surprise the established elite support it, scummy aristocratic clubs - Mohamed Fayed is completely right.

-
Manchester United and Manchester City split by proposals on Premier League financial controls
Manchester United and Manchester City are on opposite sides of a new divide in the Premier League: whether the competition should introduce its own Uefa-style financial fair play regulations.

At the League’s annual meeting the idea of tighter financial controls being imposed on clubs was advanced by Liverpool. It gained the support of a number of their rivals, including United’s chief executive, David Gill, who had previously helped shape Uefa’s ground-breaking Financial Fair Play rules.

The delegation from Arsenal is believed to have spoken up in favour. The club’s owner, Stan Kroenke is, like Liverpool’s John W Henry and United’s Glazer family, familiar with restrictive financial regulations through the US sports franchises they own. West Ham United’s joint chairman David Gold also gave his approval.

Gold told The Daily Telegraph: “I was involved in bringing in the FFP rules in the Championship and at the time I thought should I get to the Premier League, I’ll lobby for it. I made it abundantly clear we shouldn’t be doing nothing. David Gill was marvellous. He made lots of sense. Even the big clubs now are saying we have to get to grips with costs.”

But the subject was not unanimously supported. Manchester City, whose owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan , subsidised spending with £43.3million in cash between June 1, 2009, and the end of May 2011, are believed to have cautioned that they would prefer to manage their business as they see fit.

Fulham, whose rise through the leagues was financed by ‘soft’ loans from the chairman, Mohamed Fayed, have also historically expressed the view that they would not endorse a system that “kills the dreams” of others. However, this time they did not push back against Liverpool’s proposal.

It all meant the Premier League executive staff have been tasked with drawing up a report on what proposals could be introduced. One option would be to adopt wholesale the Uefa FFP regulations.

Both Chelsea and United were instrumental in developing these, which require clubs to break even within a margin of “acceptable deviation” of €45 million (£35.5 million) over the first two years of their formal implementation – next season and the following.

Chelsea and United are confident of meeting Uefa’s rules despite their inclusion not just of cash expenditure but accounting charges relating to historical spending under “amortisation”. However, City will find that particularly challenging.

Their Premier League champions’ operating loss in the 2010-11 season alone – the most recent for which accounts are available – was £194.9 million. Even though some areas of this spending will be discounted as allowable, the discounts are unlikely to bring operating losses under FFP to within the £35.5 million cushion over two years.

David Gill, Manchester United’s chief executive, has told Parliament: “We were involved through the European Club Association, as were other clubs, such as Chelsea, who were on the working group to develop those proposals with Uefa.

“It made sense and was for the benefit of football clubs could operate within their own resources and it would bring about a limiting effect on player cost, in terms of transfers and wages.

“We are comfortable with it. The critical issue will be around implementation and the sanctions around that, and making sure that it is appropriately applied. But I do not think anyone can criticise the objective of ensuring that clubs operate within their own resources.”

How to guarantee compliance would be one of the biggest challenges of a new Premier League regulatory regime and this month Henry expressed his concerns about Uefa’s will to impose its own FFP regulations. But that view contrasts with recent Uefa actions.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has upheld Uefa’s expulsion under financial fair play rules of Besiktas. The Turkish club will be banned from the next two European competitions for which it qualifies over the next five years.

The English top flight is the only league in the country not to have its own cost-restraint framework. Leagues One and Two have both implemented salary capping while the Championship has introduced a financial fair play system for this season based on the Uefa model. Championship clubs flouting Football League rules will be hit with a transfer embargo.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9493345/Manchester-United-and-Manchester-City-split-by-proposals-on-Premier-League-financial-controls.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rols.html#</a>

LoveCity said:
Is this something we should be worried about? Not only FFP for Champions League but Premier League. What a surprise the established elite support it, scummy aristocratic clubs - Mohamed Fayed is completely right.

-
Manchester United and Manchester City split by proposals on Premier League financial controls
Manchester United and Manchester City are on opposite sides of a new divide in the Premier League: whether the competition should introduce its own Uefa-style financial fair play regulations.

At the League’s annual meeting the idea of tighter financial controls being imposed on clubs was advanced by Liverpool. It gained the support of a number of their rivals, including United’s chief executive, David Gill, who had previously helped shape Uefa’s ground-breaking Financial Fair Play rules.

The delegation from Arsenal is believed to have spoken up in favour. The club’s owner, Stan Kroenke is, like Liverpool’s John W Henry and United’s Glazer family, familiar with restrictive financial regulations through the US sports franchises they own. West Ham United’s joint chairman David Gold also gave his approval.

Gold told The Daily Telegraph: “I was involved in bringing in the FFP rules in the Championship and at the time I thought should I get to the Premier League, I’ll lobby for it. I made it abundantly clear we shouldn’t be doing nothing. David Gill was marvellous. He made lots of sense. Even the big clubs now are saying we have to get to grips with costs.”

But the subject was not unanimously supported. Manchester City, whose owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan , subsidised spending with £43.3million in cash between June 1, 2009, and the end of May 2011, are believed to have cautioned that they would prefer to manage their business as they see fit.

Fulham, whose rise through the leagues was financed by ‘soft’ loans from the chairman, Mohamed Fayed, have also historically expressed the view that they would not endorse a system that “kills the dreams” of others. However, this time they did not push back against Liverpool’s proposal.

It all meant the Premier League executive staff have been tasked with drawing up a report on what proposals could be introduced. One option would be to adopt wholesale the Uefa FFP regulations.

Both Chelsea and United were instrumental in developing these, which require clubs to break even within a margin of “acceptable deviation” of €45 million (£35.5 million) over the first two years of their formal implementation – next season and the following.

Chelsea and United are confident of meeting Uefa’s rules despite their inclusion not just of cash expenditure but accounting charges relating to historical spending under “amortisation”. However, City will find that particularly challenging.

Their Premier League champions’ operating loss in the 2010-11 season alone – the most recent for which accounts are available – was £194.9 million. Even though some areas of this spending will be discounted as allowable, the discounts are unlikely to bring operating losses under FFP to within the £35.5 million cushion over two years.

David Gill, Manchester United’s chief executive, has told Parliament: “We were involved through the European Club Association, as were other clubs, such as Chelsea, who were on the working group to develop those proposals with Uefa.

“It made sense and was for the benefit of football clubs could operate within their own resources and it would bring about a limiting effect on player cost, in terms of transfers and wages.

“We are comfortable with it. The critical issue will be around implementation and the sanctions around that, and making sure that it is appropriately applied. But I do not think anyone can criticise the objective of ensuring that clubs operate within their own resources.”

How to guarantee compliance would be one of the biggest challenges of a new Premier League regulatory regime and this month Henry expressed his concerns about Uefa’s will to impose its own FFP regulations. But that view contrasts with recent Uefa actions.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport has upheld Uefa’s expulsion under financial fair play rules of Besiktas. The Turkish club will be banned from the next two European competitions for which it qualifies over the next five years.

The English top flight is the only league in the country not to have its own cost-restraint framework. Leagues One and Two have both implemented salary capping while the Championship has introduced a financial fair play system for this season based on the Uefa model. Championship clubs flouting Football League rules will be hit with a transfer embargo.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/9493345/Manchester-United-and-Manchester-City-split-by-proposals-on-Premier-League-financial-controls.html#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... rols.html#</a>

I think as a club we should have a policy of opposing anything David Gill is in favour of.

Edit: And btw one way of ensuring that clubs can operate more readily within their means is if you share your ECL loot out a bit more David, seeing as you're such a supporter of that aspiration.

We all know why that KUNT Gill brought it in for Europe and now looking at premier league!

So let's say the premier brings it in whats the punishment going to be? Points deducted kicked out of one of the cups?

City should of brought up something to stop the rich getting richer then or clubs can't have debt over 100m! Fuming and pissed of at the scum Chelsea and those kunts at Liverpool

Seems like we need to boost our revenue very fast before Gill and the other knobs get this enforced, although can't imagine it happening overnight. Over to you Mr. Soriano...

LoveCity said:
Seems like we need to boost our revenue very fast before Gill and the other knobs get this enforced, although can't imagine it happening overnight. Over to you Mr. Soriano...

Yep I think our turnover in 2 to 3 years will be pushing 300m but my point is what Gill Abramovitch and Henry at Liverpool want is that they will never be over took and the rich will get richer.. All they are worried about is them selves

I hate all of the FFP regulations because they pretty much all seem to just be to weaken us. But IMO the clubs theyll hurt most are those pushing for the 4th CL place cos surely the team that manages to win it on the first year of implemention then has 30 mil extra to spend than the club that finished 5th, just a thought

waspish said:
LoveCity said:

Yep I think our turnover in 2 to 3 years will be pushing 300m but my point is what Gill Abramovitch and Henry at Liverpool want is that they will never be over took and the rich will get richer.. All they are worried about is them selves

exactly greedy scum

lets spend spend spend before these rules come in

Rags, Liverpool and Arsenal back FFP style financial control

Quelle surprise. I can't understand the likes of David Gold backing it though. How will the likes of West Ham ever get anywhere with rules in place to protect the traditional Sky clubs and keep the mid table and lower table clubs in their place? The same goes for likes of Everton, Newcastle and Villa as if these regulations were to go through they would never win another title again.

Blue Shield said:
I hate all of the FFP regulations because they pretty much all seem to just be to weaken us. But IMO the clubs theyll hurt most are those pushing for the 4th CL place cos surely the team that manages to win it on the first year of implemention then has 30 mil extra to spend than the club that finished 5th, just a thought

its a blatant attempt to protect the rags along with the rest of the cartel.

ha ha and we've done it anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.