Premium bonds

My pal (retired Head of English teacher) bought £20,000 worth and won £100 with his first draw
If he won £100 every month for a year then that’s 6% pa, or slightly worse than he could have got on a 1 year term deposit.

Or he could have stuck it in an S&P500 index tracker and averaged 11% per year for the last 20 years.

Premium Bonds are just a slightly less sexy lottery. They’re a guaranteed way to lose savings to inflation for well over 95% of all PB holders.

Edit. I’ve got about £5k in myself for the “what if” factor. But I know it’s very unlikely.

Last edited:
Got a relatively small amount in with a small monthly standing order set up and haven't won a bean in 3 years.

A colleague who's nearer the top end of the allowance has won £100 in 3 out of the last 5 months.

If he won £100 every month for a year then that’s 6% pa, or slightly worse than he could have got on a 1 year term deposit.

Or he could have stuck it in an S&P500 index tracker and averaged 11% per year for the last 20 years.

Premium Bonds are just a slightly less sexy lottery. They’re a guaranteed way to lose savings to inflation for well over 95% of all PB holders.

Edit. I’ve got about £5k in myself for the “what if” factor. But I know it’s very unlikely.
Seeing as you are giving out free advice :) what do you think of nutmeg stocks and shares isa?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.