Prestwich Blue's Daily Rant

Prestwich_Blue

According to this article on the BBC website, being grumpy is good for you: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8339647.stm.

In a bad mood? Don't worry - according to research, it's good for you.

An Australian psychology expert who has been studying emotions has found being grumpy makes us think more clearly. In contrast to those annoying happy types, miserable people are better at decision-making and less gullible, his experiments showed. While cheerfulness fosters creativity, gloominess breeds attentiveness and careful thinking, Professor Joe Forgas told Australian Science Magazine.

The University of New South Wales researcher says a grumpy person can cope with more demanding situations than a happy one because of the way the brain "promotes information processing strategies". He asked volunteers to watch different films and dwell on positive or negative events in their life, designed to put them in either a good or bad mood.
Next he asked them to take part in a series of tasks, including judging the truth of urban myths and providing eyewitness accounts of events.

Those in a bad mood outperformed those who were jolly - they made fewer mistakes and were better communicators.
Professor Forgas said: "Whereas positive mood seems to promote creativity, flexibility, co-operation and reliance on mental shortcuts, negative moods trigger more attentive, careful thinking, paying greater attention to the external world." The study also found that sad people were better at stating their case through written arguments, which Forgas said showed that a "mildly negative mood may actually promote a more concrete, accommodative and ultimately more successful communication style".

So after my little rants on Friday (Blackberry management-speaking moron on the train) and Monday (Cyclists going through red lights) I'm going to try to have a daily one.

Today it's about the person who got in the lift at work on the 1st floor and got off on the 2nd (I was going from ground to 3rd). Never heard of the stairs you fat idiot? Particularly when there's notices all over the building snf on the intranet promoting a healthy lifestyle (which include using the stairs if you're only going a couple of floors - 3 in the lift's OK).

Particularly inconsiderate when I'm rushing to get to a meeting which I thought was at 2pm but turned out to be 1pm and had to settle for slurping down some watery, tasteless soup for lunch because it's all I had time for and went out without realising it was pissing down and didn't take a brolly so had to go to the nearest shop instead of the ones that do the best soup.

Got to go now as I've got a score to settle with a couple of cyclists. Right - what did I do with that Stanley knife?

Never heard of the stairs you fat idiot? Probably best you missed a meal since you weren't going to work it off. Shit, gotta go, some unfit plonker is trying to saw my bike in half with a tiny knife.

Prestwich_Blue said:
According to this article on the BBC website, being grumpy is good for you: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8339647.stm.

In a bad mood? Don't worry - according to research, it's good for you.

An Australian psychology expert who has been studying emotions has found being grumpy makes us think more clearly. In contrast to those annoying happy types, miserable people are better at decision-making and less gullible, his experiments showed. While cheerfulness fosters creativity, gloominess breeds attentiveness and careful thinking, Professor Joe Forgas told Australian Science Magazine.

The University of New South Wales researcher says a grumpy person can cope with more demanding situations than a happy one because of the way the brain "promotes information processing strategies". He asked volunteers to watch different films and dwell on positive or negative events in their life, designed to put them in either a good or bad mood.
Next he asked them to take part in a series of tasks, including judging the truth of urban myths and providing eyewitness accounts of events.

Those in a bad mood outperformed those who were jolly - they made fewer mistakes and were better communicators.
Professor Forgas said: "Whereas positive mood seems to promote creativity, flexibility, co-operation and reliance on mental shortcuts, negative moods trigger more attentive, careful thinking, paying greater attention to the external world." The study also found that sad people were better at stating their case through written arguments, which Forgas said showed that a "mildly negative mood may actually promote a more concrete, accommodative and ultimately more successful communication style".

So after my little rants on Friday (Blackberry management-speaking moron on the train) and Monday (Cyclists going through red lights) I'm going to try to have a daily one.

Today it's about the person who got in the lift at work on the 1st floor and got off on the 2nd (I was going from ground to 3rd). Never heard of the stairs you fat idiot? Particularly when there's notices all over the building snf on the intranet promoting a healthy lifestyle (which include using the stairs if you're only going a couple of floors - 3 in the lift's OK).

Particularly inconsiderate when I'm rushing to get to a meeting which I thought was at 2pm but turned out to be 1pm and had to settle for slurping down some watery, tasteless soup for lunch because it's all I had time for and went out without realising it was pissing down and didn't take a brolly so had to go to the nearest shop instead of the ones that do the best soup.

Got to go now as I've got a score to settle with a couple of cyclists. Right - what did I do with that Stanley knife?
Bloody hell, Col. Dont know about this quiz night on Thursday, maybe a lady of the night would be better ! ;-p
Saying that, there is the Topless bar across the road !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.