Prisons

Many of the addicts who currently appear in court are on supervised methadone programmes. But they top up their methadone with illegal drugs, often acquired through crime. I'm not sure why it would be much different if they replaced the methadone with heroin.

I agree that most addicts desparately want to kick the habit. The problem is that its so difficult. Most addicts who start a drug treatment programme today will still be taking drugs in 12 months time. When addicts finally kick the habit its usually after several failed attempts. The problem facing the criminal justice system is that there isnt an effective means of dealing with them when they going through those years of either not trying to give up, or trying and failing and committing crime. Legalisation might be better than the current system but it certainly wouldnt resolve all of the problems.

When I say most heroin addicts want to give up, I am not suggesting that this is always matched by their actions, not least because as you say it is SO difficult. My cousin has given up at least 3 or 4 times but just can't manage to stay off it. However, if you were to simply ask 100 addicts "would you like to be off this stuff" I would wager a very large majority would say yes. I can't imagine there's many people who actually enjoy being homeless, enjoy burgling and shoplifting, or perhaps getting fucked by ugly strangers for money and enjoy the endless run-ins with the police, the courts and the prison service.

SURELY we can come up with something better than the status quo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.