Pub landlady wins case over use of foreign decoder

This and similar cases have been going on for a while - whilst it all sounds great there are possible dire consequences for football in England

All(most) clubs get themselves into hock to get to the sacred land of the PL and then spend more to stay there - because of the riches that come from the Sky deal. Why have Sky chosen to pay so much? - it is simply because of the monopoly they have had on the provision of the product in the UK and wider distribution rights.

Football has underpinned the Sky package to domestic customers - how will this change if UK people can get the sport from an alternative source - same for commercial customers (e.g. pubs) - Sky's revenues might plummet.

This may seem a good thing but what will be the knock-on implications to the deal they have with the PL when they come to renegotiate in a couple of years???

I reckon they could offer half the price and there would still be no credible competition. In turn what would be the knock-on implications to the clubs that have become so dependent on the revenue.

There are all sorts of scenarios - including some 'big' clubs deciding to break from the collective bargain - e.g. the scum

Things could unravel possibly quite dramatically - another reason to think - thank fuck we have the Sheik

True LBH, the judgement was more about the right to competition, is that right?

No-one will be able to match sky/ ESPN for technology in the foreseeable future, but I'm not bothered with 3D technology at the moment. It will still be a gimmick to me until I don't have to sit there with glasses on.

I'd watch it in black & white if it was free.

It'll be very interesting to see how this develops.

Some believe this will lead to a breakdown of the Premier League acting as one for TV rights and that each club will sell its own rights (possibly to a conglomerate, representing European TV's significant broadcasters who agree specific conditions) or to clubs creating their own channels and not selling rights - thereby ensuring that you have to subscribe to your team's channel wherever you are in Europe and they raise income that way.

Highly likely that if the PL stays as one for TV rights that they will create a European broadcasting package rather than based on national boundaries. Perhaps this would lead to a European-wide football channel (maybe in partnership with Sky or ESPN).

Ultimately, this decision (though one fans may initially support) will create less choice rather than more, or will cause the PL to look at ways of increasing income in other areas.

City will suffer like the others because it will impact things like profitability (Financial Fair Play?) and current planning. It may prompt City to also pull out of the collective agreement.

LawsBackHeel said:
Nothing has been settled yet this is just a ruling in the EJC it still has to go back to the High Court in London as they referred it for a guidline but they can still throw it out yet and keep the rights as they are.

I is very unlikely but at this time nothing has changed. Also it only affects the European broadcasting which only accounts for around 10% of the total overseas package so that money is pretty safe and the UK package will still be ok as major pub chains and hotels will still hsow sky for better coverage and all the 3D now is starting to take off for major games and events.

Can't see things changing much myself.

I think you might if you were a licensee. A small boozer pays about £1500 per month for Sky, a big unit like a Witherspoons maybe £9000 per month. A system with a broadcast from Greece for example less than £3000 for the receiver and card for a year.

Re: pub landlady win's appeal

Great news.I hope it's the first step towards the elimination of exclusivity in broadcasting.

Karen Murphy winning this case could be 1 of the most pivotal moments to change football as we know it. If broadcasters no longer have exclusivity for matches then why should they pay the astronomical figures to premier league, the clubs and more importantly the players. "Murphy's Law" could be the end to the 200k a week contracts and football players may end up playing the beautiful game just for the love of it.

or it could be a load of bollocks...

dsc1401 said:
Great news.I hope it's the first step towards the elimination of exclusivity in broadcasting.
but won't it mean less money for the club's,which in turn mean's less money to buy top player's,which in turn mean's shit football

Boff said:
Karen Murphy winning this case could be 1 of the most pivotal moments to change football as we know it. If broadcasters no longer have exclusivity for matches then why should they pay the astronomical figures to premier league, the clubs and more importantly the players. "Murphy's Law" could be the end to the 200k a week contracts and football players may end up playing the beautiful game just for the love of it.

or it could be a load of bollocks...

EPL will just do their own rights deal in the EU maybe even selling them (via a tv firm) direct to make more money out of it..

shawgorbie said:
dsc1401 said:
but won't it mean less money for the club's,which in turn mean's less money to buy top player's,which in turn mean's shit football
how?
players don't become shit cos they are on less money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.