QPR-it could have been us!!

salfordpaul

One of my fave grounds in the country Loftus rd< great view right on top of the pitch!

Anyway I digress!...When we were relegated in the 80's and dropped 2 divisions I always remember that QPR dropped with us! I remember those heady games including a night match at Loftus , when Ray "the crab" Wilkins took corners and got properly abused by city fans for ex associations. (he took it well and laughed with us)

We beat Gillingham and the rest they say is history! But QPR have languished in the lower divisions as we popped back up into the premier league ( eventually)

Interesting to see that they may finally be joining the elite next year as they have been in the wilderness for a long time!

If we didn't beat Gillingham, this could have been OUR fate! The sheik I feel wouldn't have bought a championship side!

thats my point mate! QPR went down in the SAME season as us, we luckily came back up through two divisions and they haven't been able to manage it until next year (most probably) My point being the similarities....went down same year together, both dropped 2 divisions, we scrambled out quicker...luckily!

(its not advanced jet engine science pal) :)

salfordpaul said:
One of my fave grounds in the country Loftus rd< great view right on top of the pitch!

Anyway I digress!...When we were relegated in the 80's and dropped 2 divisions I always remember that QPR dropped with us! I remember those heady games including a night match at Loftus , when Ray "the crab" Wilkins took corners and got properly abused by city fans for ex associations. (he took it well and laughed with us)

We beat Gillingham and the rest they say is history! But QPR have languished in the lower divisions as we popped back up into the premier league ( eventually)

Interesting to see that they may finally be joining the elite next year as they have been in the wilderness for a long time!

If we didn't beat Gillingham, this could have been OUR fate! The sheik I feel wouldn't have bought a championship side!

came down with us from the top flight
they didn't drop with us into the old third division though
they stayed up that time and stayed put while we yo-yo'd around them
small club though....I bet our third division average attandance was twice their top flight average

Bolton also cam down with us, but looking at it now the two clubs who finished above us on goal difference did not come off better, not ten years later anyway.

I think it could have been any club.

The Gillingham match was not as crucial as it was later made out, we had by far the most revenue in the division and wages had been capped the season before with Pollock the highest earner left. I though we would have romped Div 2 in 1999/2000, and doing so we would have near to sold out every week.

I think it's a rubbish comparison to be honest. The clubs are nothing a like in terms of size/support etc. Who cares if they went down when we did?

Corky said:
Bolton also cam down with us, but looking at it now the two clubs who finished above us on goal difference did not come off better, not ten years later anyway.

The Gillingham match was not as crucial as it was later made out, we had by far the most revenue in the division and wages had been capped the season before with Pollock the highest earner left. I though we would have romped Div 2 in 1999/2000, and doing so we would have near to sold out every week.

The clubs financial situation in '99 was horendous. If we'd lost to Gillingham we'd have had to sell off half the squad to cover the debts. Promotion meant Bernstein was able get enough investment not only to sort out the finances but to build a squad capable of reaching the Prem. I'm not so sure that we would have maintained our level of support either, in fact as our current ground was still at the planning stage at the time, I would imagine that it would have been built with a much smaller capacity. I think Leeds are a good example of what might have happened to us had we lost that day.

I've got good memories of seeing City at Loftus Road, I'd be quite happy to see QPR back in the top flight.

I got a cheap QPR top when at an age where youjust wanted as many football tops as you could get (mostly European), and it had Guiness as the sponsors. I liked that kit so they have always been one of my top 5 sides.

I'd love to see Queens Park Rangers challenging for the title and in Europe.

Got my fingers crossed for them.

The only team from "darn sarf" I don't call Cockney Wankers !

Corky said:

That's what I always thought.

I always thought that the whole notion that we'd have collapsed had we lost to Gillingham was nonsense. We might not have been the same club we are today, but it wouldn't have been the monumental disaster it's often contemplated as. That's what makes the game itself so momentous though, is that people considered that possibility, but (in my opinion at least) it wouldn't have been the catastrophe a lot of people consider it to be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.