Quality of Euro 2012

halfcenturyup

Not that interested how England do to be honest (apart from City, sport is about good competition for me), but looking at the games coming up, there aren't many games you would want to miss, even in the group stages. Compare that to the World Cup where the first three weeks are full of meaningless matches after which two strong teams go through. Pretty intriguing viewing actually.

Also, how good have the refs been? Can't remember too many disasters just yet .... Every other game in the league has a major ref problem.

halfcenturyup said:
Also, how good have the refs been? Can't remember too many disasters just yet .... Every other game in the league has a major ref problem.

The one in the first game wasn't very good. That Greek player should never have been sent off IMO.

Juan King said:
halfcenturyup said:

The one in the first game wasn't very good. That Greek player should never have been sent off IMO.

Not seen much of it so far but the ones in charge of the Russki<>CZ game were not unlike premier league standard.

Well the Euros in my view is the hardest to win. There are no weak teams in it. Look at the World Cups you are bound to get a couple of easy games in it. Its a shame they are expanding the Euros in the coming years as you might get some teams getting into that might weaken the competition. I wish they would just leave it as it is.

leighton said:
Well the Euros in my view is the hardest to win. There are no weak teams in it. Look at the World Cups you are bound to get a couple of easy games in it. Its a shame they are expanding the Euros in the coming years as you might get some teams getting into that might weaken the competition. I wish they would just leave it as it is.
I'd like to know what format the revised Euro's will be in. 24 teams means 6 groups of 4 and I'd assume that they'd want 16 teams to go through, not the current 8. If 2 come from each of the groups, where do they get the other 4 from, unless they are going to play a knockout with the 8 third placed teams?

Seems barmy to me and will only be there to make more money for UEFA, stuff the competition.

The Future's Blue said:
leighton said:
I'd like to know what format the revised Euro's will be in. 24 teams means 6 groups of 4 and I'd assume that they'd want 16 teams to go through, not the current 8. If 2 come from each of the groups, where do they get the other 4 from, unless they are going to play a knockout with the 8 third placed teams?
The 4 best 3rd place teams will go to the next round. That's how it used to be when the world cup had 24 teams. I assume it will be the same principle.

Group stage will be pretty lame but I like the fact that there will be an extra knock out round. That's were the real fun starts anyway.

1961_vintage said:
Juan King said:
halfcenturyup said:

Not seen much of it so far but the ones in charge of the Russki<>CZ game were not unlike premier league standard.

that's cos it was Webb, Clattenburg, Atkinson and co....

The Euro's are very competitive, because of the small number of groups and teams, being seeded often has no real advantage. Even for Spain and the Netherlands who both contested the WC final, they can't take anything for granted, especially the Netherlands who face getting knocked out at the group stages. The problem with the WC is that the big teams usually get quite easy groups, and just end up coasting through without really needing to get into first gear. The weaker teams are quite happy to lose by a narrow scoreline to one of the big teams, as they know they have two winnable fixtures left. The groups become warm-up games for the big teams. 2010 was in large parts very dull. This will be the problem if they extend the Euro's to 24 teams instead of 16. You will get weaker groups, and crap teams like Scotland, and Wales, bringing down the quality. Teams like Spain will have it much easier and will barely have to raise a sweat to get out the groups. Great idea UEFA, great idea.

Thought Howard Webb had a good game (us usually does when he isnt reffing united). There was a couple of challenges foreign refs would of carded but he let them off with a warning because they were not that bad. Makes the game more enjoyable unlike the Greece sending off

i personally think the standard of reffing has been very poor so far

refs blowing up for nothing, giving out yellows like confetti

all bar webb though who i though did well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.