Question for any referee's out there...

Groucho

Incident at the game on Saturday... Second half, we were attacking down the right hand side, (can't remember who it was) and thier defender slide tackles and wins the ball.
But the ball cannons off the knee of the linesman, and goes out over the goal line.

My question is.. A throw in was given. But should it have been a corner?

The linesman was stood on the line, so all of the ball did not go over the touch line. So, if the rules are that the officials are part of the playing area, just as the goal posts are for example, why weren't we awarded a corner?
I realise, getting a corner isn't all that dangerous when it comes to City.... and I've not lost too much sleep over it, but its just a discussion that arose in the pub!

Just a thought.

Focusdazz said:
it would of haved to crossed the line to hit the ref...

Not the whole ball though. It hit him on the knee and cannoned out for a corner. He didn't have chance to get out of the way.

;-)

I am a referee and feel that this decision was correct... If the linesman wasnt their then the ball would of gone out for a throw in... so as it hit the linesman it in effect is out of play...

Jay_McVeanho said:
I am a referee and feel that this decision was correct... If the linesman wasnt their then the ball would of gone out for a throw in... so as it hit the linesman it in effect is out of play...
Yer but the lineman was there so its a corner.Simple as

The Invisible*Man said:
Jay_McVeanho said:
I am a referee and feel that this decision was correct... If the linesman wasnt their then the ball would of gone out for a throw in... so as it hit the linesman it is in effect is out of play...

well the diecision was given... we won the game... so who cares haha the bluemoon is rising......

The Invisible*Man said:
Jay_McVeanho said:
I am a referee and feel that this decision was correct... If the linesman wasnt their then the ball would of gone out for a throw in... so as it hit the linesman it is in effect is out of play...

well the diecision was given... we won the game... so who cares haha the bluemoon is rising......

Its a good conumdrum for "you are the ref" which is a comic strip which runs in the observer sport every sunday, which gives three situations to make a decision on amazingly illustrated by Paul Trevillion. If you send it in, and they use it I think they'll send you a prize of some sort.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/series/you-are-the-ref" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/seri ... re-the-ref</a>

onlineiresmall.jpg

I believe the correct decision if following the letter of the law would be a corner,However one of the key ingredients to making a good referee is using your intelligence and discretion to good effect,meaning that awarding a throw showed a certain degree of common sense under the circumstances.

If the ball hits the referee and goes behind then it should be a corner, if it hits the linesman then it should be a throw in. The referee is supposed to be on the field of play, the linesman/assistant referee is supposed to be OFF the field of play (running next to, but not on, the line).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.