Questions from a Liverpool forum

Ric

Administrator
Been asked to post these on behalf of RAWK as part of their preview of Sunday's game, if anyone fancies answering them:

1. What have you made of your season so far – did you believe at the beginning of the season you would be where you are now?

2. For the second season running your side didn't perform too well in the Champions League – why do you think they were unable to replicate their league form in the competition, was it just the quality of the opponents in a tough group or are there other reasons?

3. The transfer window passed without much in terms of additions for City, and of course Mario Baloteli left to join Milan. What are you feelings on the strength of your squad post-January, and how do you feel about amario's departure?

4. Who have been the players in the City squad that you have been most impressed with this season and why?

5. Any players underperformed?

6. I'd like to change the focus to Liverpool now if you don't mind. What is your opinion on how our season has gone so far, and what do you think of the job Brendan Rodgers is doing at Liverpool?

7. Are there any members of the current Liverpool squad that you would like to see playing at City?

8. Our sides drew 2-2 at Anfield earlier this year in a game full of quality and mistakes in pretty equal measure. Do you see the game at the Etihad being another high scoring game?

9. How do you think Roberto Mancini will approach the game and what team do you think he'll select?

10. Finally, care to make a prediction?

1. What have you made of your season so far – did you believe at the beginning of the season you would be where you are now?

I thought we'd be second or just slightly first but not 7 points back.

2. For the second season running your side didn't perform too well in the Champions League – why do you think they were unable to replicate their league form in the competition, was it just the quality of the opponents in a tough group or are there other reasons?

The quality of the opposition was a factor. But not the only one, as we performed poorly against Ajax. We could not overcome personnel and tactical deficiencies.

3. The transfer window passed without much in terms of additions for City, and of course Mario Baloteli left to join Milan. What are you feelings on the strength of your squad post-January, and how do you feel about amario's departure?

Mario made £100k per week and couldn't be bothered to train hard enough to make the bench. Can't have that lack of commitment. Good move to sell.

4. Who have been the players in the City squad that you have been most impressed with this season and why?

Pablo Zabaleta. He has once again improved and gives 100% every game, he never lets us down. He's been our best performer due to his consistency.

Quite a few. Aguero and Tevez lost whatever synergy they had, neither scoring many goals. Nasri has been a massive letdown, his actions in the wall against the scum cost us 3 points. Kompany and Yaya haven't been nearly as sharp as last season.

6. I'd like to change the focus to Liverpool now if you don't mind. What is your opinion on how our season has gone so far, and what do you think of the job Brendan Rodgers is doing at Liverpool?

It's too early to judge Rodgers. I thought at the time you should have hired someone else, but everyone deserves a chance once given the job. Your season has gone about as I'd expected. The positive: you have Suarez, who is genuinely world class. With the core of quality you have (excellent CB pairing, good keeper, world class striker) it wouldn't take much more than 2-3 more good signings to elevate you to CL contender or better. The negative: I think your owners are bad. They are your typical yank vulture types who swoop in on undervalued assets, invest as little as possible while waiting for a big buyer. Not talking shite, I work around these types. Their real passion is the Red Sox, and right now they can't even run them well.

7. Are there any members of the current Liverpool squad that you would like to see playing at City?

Suarez is an obvious one. I think we'd be leading the rags if we had him, world class no question. Agger and Lucas are top players. From your youth ranks, I'd love to have Suso! He looked great at the U19 Euros.

8. Our sides drew 2-2 at Anfield earlier this year in a game full of quality and mistakes in pretty equal measure. Do you see the game at the Etihad being another high scoring game?

Who knows which City will show up? We haven't scored too many recently so I don't know what to expect.

9. How do you think Roberto Mancini will approach the game and what team do you think he'll select?

A very attacking lineup. Probably only 2 central mids and the rest attackers. Hart-Pablo-Kompany(if fit)/Garcia(if not)-Nastasic-Kolarov-Milner-Barry-Nasri-Silva-Dzeko-Aguero

I'll be boring and say 2-0 City. I also predicted we'd beat QPR so...

Disappointing in some ways after the high of the conclusion of last season. Started the season with big hopes but certain factors soon put a dampener on things, like Aguero getting injured 5 minutes into the 1st game and a underwhelming transfer window where I felt we failed to capitalise on a big opportunity as Champions. Overall its not been too bad but we've struggled to score goals and the football hasn't been anywhere near what we were playing at the start and end of last season.

It was a tough group, but lets face it, it was a tough group for Madrid, Dortmund and Ajax too. If we had held on in the Bernabeu it may have been a different story but the truth is we could and should have got mauled by Dortmund(By far the best team in the group and that I've seen come to the Etihad) and the two performances against Ajax were awful. For me the tactics weren't great and our defending wasn't up to it's usual high standards

3. The transfer window passed without much in terms of additions for City, and of course Mario Baloteli left to join Milan. What are you feelings on the strength of your squad post-January, and how do you feel about Mario's departure?

It's strong don't get me wrong but it probably should be stronger. We lack a real clinical finisher and that's what will probably have stung us when we come to look at the table at the end of the season. Mario had to go. Too much pantomine, not enough quality on the pitch. He showed flashes at times but at others he was no more than a liability. Most fans including me will miss him but thats more for his off pitch antics. Hopefully he can go to Milan and become the player he really should be

Matija Nastasic has been the biggest plus this season. After last seasons disaster that was Stefan Savic, Nasty has come in and probably been one of our most consistent performers. He's 19 and already a good centre half. If he gets savvy to the over physical teams he will be one of the best in the world.
Zabaleta who most now rate as the best right back in the Premier League has added even more to his game this year and wears his heart on his sleeve. Clichy is forever improving and David Silva is coming back into form. Small mention to Gareth Barry too. Gets slated by the press and other clubs fans but without him we look a shadow of the side.

Plenty. Samir Nasri has been a huge disappointment, only showing flashes of brilliance. Our whole striking department haven't really performed great this year and thats got to change if we are to get close to United

Things are certainly improving for Liverpool but the inconsistency still remains. Signs are that Rodgers has got you playing some decent stuff and the overplaying in silly areas that we saw at the start of the season now seems to have been eradicated. Can't see you quite making the top 4 but anything is possible with Arsenal being a shadow of themselves and Spurs likely to fall away. Performance at Old Trafford was poor 1st half but the 2nd half performance was much better and you could and should have nicked a point.

Obviously Suarez. who has added goals this year where perhaps he would have smashed one against the post/bar last year. Other than that I rate Agger highly but i don't think our defence needs to change

I can't see it being a high scoring game myself but it will certainly be our biggest defensive test for some time and we may find ourself conceding for the 1st time in 2013

We have to win or face falling further behind United. We also have to be tight defensively so it's likely to be an attacking side with more than one eye on staying solid. I'd pick:

Hart, Zabaleta, Nastasic, Lescott, Clichy, Barry, Garcia, Milner, Silva, Aguero & Dzeko

Obviously if Kompany is fit he would replace Lescott but I highly doubt he'll be available after his calf strain

I'm going to go 2-1 to City but its not going to be easy

Well, we like to take each game as it comes and if we are in the mix in May we'll be happy.

It's a funny old game and we try just to take each game as it comes. Unfortunately it wasn't to be this season.

We've got a good squad and we'll work with those players and see where we go; of course we wish Mario all the best at Milan

It's a team game; we win as a team and fail as a team. The lads have done terrific.

No, the boys have done well. Of course there are some results that we'd like to change, but that's football.

Brendan's a good manager, but he's at another club so it would be wrong to comment.

It's disrespectful to talk about other clubs' players so we don't.

There's no such thing as an easy game so we'll work hard, do our best, give 100% and if it's good enough on the day, hopefully we'll come away with the points.

He'll have a plan worked out and he'll pick a team to suit that plan.

No, we never make predictions, we just take each game as it comes.

Ric said:
Been asked to post these on behalf of RAWK as part of their preview of Sunday's game, if anyone fancies answering them:

1.Disappointing.We don't seem to have improved on last season and although we are hard to beat we lack the spark,movement and magic from much of last year.We had a chance to add some real quality to the squad and push on but we didn't do that,possibly with one eye on FFP.

2.The group was tough............i doubt any of the English teams would have got out of that one!Having said that Mancini seems to experiment in Europe like it is a league cup game and with the quality that much higher we got done,for the second year.

3.I think it is weak but when the Toure's and our injured players are back it will of course be stronger,unfortunately that may be too late for the league title this season,we have to not let the rags get any further ahead or i fear that will be that.
Mario?Ahh what can you say?? No player has divided opinion like this lad!Everyone can see he has everything needed to make a top class footballer .....everything except hard work and concentration/dedication.You look at the world's best players and they never stop working to make something happen,Mario often strolled through games like he couldn't give a fuck.In spite of that he was on the whole loved but how long do you wait for someone to fulfil their potential?Time will tell if he makes it at the top level and if he does get his head together i would love to see him back here.

4.Nastasic looks a good buy,so cool and composed for a 19 year old i think he will be a great player.Zabaleta.....what more can you say about this man?One of the old school,tough as old boots and would die for the cause.Love him!Gareth Barry,very underrated but keeps us ticking over.The rest in truth have underperformed compared to last season,although Silva and Kompany,before his injury,looked to be getting back to their best.

5.Our strikers....at the moment they can't hit the proverbial brick wall!

6.You are in a period of transition,therefore you will have ups and downs and you need a period of stability now.You are where i expected and i think Brendan Rodgers will do a great job given time.

7.Gerrard,Suarez...a little shit but if he plays for you you love him!Suprisingly Sturridge our ex player.He has pace and is tricky with an eye for a pass,i am suprised we didn't go back for him when he was available,he makes things happen,although misses some easy chances too.

8.Probably similar with the same result a draw,which will probably be no good for either side.

9.The strongest he has available and go for the win as really nothing else will do with the rags being seven points ahead,which will probably be ten come Sunday.I pray Nastasic is back as the pace of Suarez and Sturridge against Lescott and Garcia is already giving me nightmares,lol!

10.2-2 draw,i hope we edge it but i am not sure we will.

Ric said:

I'll have a go. Be nice to think people will take this in the spirit it is intended, rather than just using it as an excuse to slag off another team and it's supporters.

1. Pretty much, yes. We finished equal on points with the scum last season. They strengthened (RVP), we didn't.

2. Hard to put one's finger on this one. We struggle against teams who defend well (en masse) and attack on the break in the PL, and I think Euro teams are even cuter at this. That said, Dortmund came here and battered us and we scraped a draw.

3. Glad to see Mario gone to be honest. Hasn't contributed all that much and is always a red card waiting to happen. Hope he does well at Milan. Returns from injury, ACON etc should see us stronger. Guidetti could really be something special, but possibly next season rather than this.

4. Zabaleta. Gives a whole new meaning to "100% every game". Nastasic looks to be a real gem also. Milner generally gives us some steel in midfield and Barry is looking as if he is getting into some decent form (QPR away notwithstanding).

5. The strikers. Plenty of effort, and decent all round play, but not enough end product.

6. Look good at home against teams you'd expect to beat anyway, but I have my doubts about the "Rodger's Philosophy" as it relates to playing the best and/or the more physical teams. Swansea were decent under him, but were pretty poor away from home. Shankly and Paisley et al may have played the beautiful game, but there was always an underlying steel with their teams. Tommy Smith, Emlyn Hughes, Souness, Hansen, Lawrenson could all mix it with the best. Not sure you have that at the moment. Dare I say that a Milner or Barry would considerably improve your midfield!

7. Suarez goes without saying (despite the baggage of the diving stuff and the other "incident"). Gerard would improve most teams. Sterling looks promising, but seems to have lost his mojo lately. That's about it. If you'd have asked ten years ago, I'd have just copied out your teamsheet!

8. No! Not unless your lot score a load. Will be close and very tight, I expect. One goal in it most likely.

9. Mancini will, as ever, be intent on making sure the opposition don't score first and foremost. Expect Nastasic to come back into the back four, so Hart, Zab, Lescott, Nasty, Clichy. Midfield probably Barry, Garcia, Silva, Milner/Nasri. Tevez and Aguero up front. Possibly Dzeko for Tevez.

10. We might just nick this 2-1. Defending will occur. This is the Etihad, not the Emirates! Will be tight, draw wouldn't surprise me either.

Ric said:

Still in the title race and in the FA cup. As long as we stay in touching distance I am confident we can still win the title. My confidence is starting to drop now we have not signed anyone to replace Balotelli, one injury and our season could be over. First place is still possible but I wouldnt complain with 2nd and the FA cup (Although many on here would)

We had a tough group yes but I think more than anything its the style of football they play in europe. We are not used to the fast paced counter attacks we witnessed in europe particularly against Dortmund at home where we were lucky to get a point. Things could have been so much different if we had hung on for 3 points in Madrid.

I was always confident of retaining the title up untill the window closed last night and we had not signed a replacement. Like I said earlier one injury and our season can be derailed. Guidetti gives us hope but he is miles away in terms of fitness and has never played in the premier league.

Zabaleta. What a warrior, dont think I have ever seen a player who EVERY single City fan adores and can't remember a bad game from him this season. The usual suspects also deserve a mention Kompany/Barry/Silva but the standout this season is Zab by miles

For the first few months whilst he found his feet, Javi Garcia but the past few games he has done really well and is starting to show his qualities. The strikers have really struggled so far this season in terms of goals, but the biggest let down for me has been Samir Nasri and THAT incident in the derby is the cherry of it all

Liverpool are a club in transition. Its time everybody lowered their expectations and gave Rodgers the time to build a younger more capable squad (Including replacing Gerrard/Carragher) I dont think your season has gone too badly but its important you remain in europe.

In terms of ability the obvious one is Suarez, but his antics would drive me absolutely bonkers so I dont think I could handle him playing for us.

I think it has the potential to be a high scoring game as long as Rodgers sticks to his guns and plays attacking football. I think he will judging by the Arsenal game the other night.

Hart. Zabaleta. Lescott. Nastasic. Clichy. Barry. Garcia. Silva. Milner. Dzeko. Aguero

Tough game but 2-1 City

Below expectations. We've struggled to score as freely as last season, which has come as a bit of a surprise. I always thought we'd be in the Champion's League spots, but I thought we'd be closer to top spot than the current 7 point gap, especially given United aren't actually anything special.

We did, yet again, have an extremely tough group. When Borussia Dortmund are your 4th pot team (when Chelsea got Nordsjaelland, and United got Cluj) you're always going to find it tricky to qualify. That being said, a return of 3 points from 6 games was completely unacceptable. There seems to be some kind of mental (or tactical) block for Mancini when it comes to Europe, he hardly had a stellar record at Inter, and at City he's been even worse. We tend to play far too slowly in Europe, too much sideways passing and possession play without any cutting edge.

I feel, strength wise, the squad is lacking in a few areas. Our summer spending wasn't too impressive, Nastasic aside the others (Rodwell, Sinclair, Garcia, Maicon) haven't exactly pulled up any trees. So a January where we added no-one (save for an unknown Ghanain youth team player) and lost an influential, if unpredictable and frustrating, player in Balotelli can't really be viewed as successful. I feel we need another striker (John Guidetti might step up, but that's not certain) and a centre half (injuries and International duty meant Javi Garcia played there against QPR). As for Balotelli leaving, I'd reached the point where I was willing to run the risk of him "coming good" elsewhere in order to cash in and hopefully replace him with someone who can contribute now (or in the summer at this point).

Zabaleta. Absolutely. I worried, when the big names arrived, whether he'd be good enough to stick around, he's proven he's more than good enough. For me he's our player of the season thus far, and a mile clear as the Premiership's best right back. Nastasic has also impressed, he's only 19 and in his first Premiership season, but he's displaced Lescott as the main starting centre half alongside Kompany and looks very composed.

A few to be fair. Balotelli, pre-departure, hadn't shown any real form this season. Dzeko, despite a decent record in terms of goals, has been hit and miss performance wise. Tevez still gives 100%, but his goalscoring has dried up. Kompany has taken a backward step, although he's still been pretty good.

I think Liverpool's season has been another disappointing one, from your perspective. Rodgers was saddled with players he obviously doesn't want, but as Dalglish spent so much on some real mediocre players (Downing, Henderson, Adam etc) it seems Rodgers hasn't been given the same amount of money. Rodgers seems to be trying to fit a lot of square pegs into round holes when it comes to the players at his disposal, and the style of football he's trying to employ. Even with Sturridge I think you're lacking in the attacking third, and the fact you're being forced to bed in so many young players at once speaks volumes for the squad quality/depth. I think Liverpool fans need to recognise the differences between where the club used to be and where it is at present, and temper their expectations. The current squad is not a Champion's League qualifying one, you have a select few high quality players (Gerrard, Suarez) but too many average ones to make a top 4 push. Europa League qualification should be the aim, and even then there are some very strong sides to compete with (Everton, Spurs, Arsenal).

In all honesty, no. In terms of quality there's only really Gerrard and Suarez who I feel are good enough (maybe one of the centre halves, but they'd be a squad player rather than a regular starter). Gerrard is the wrong side of 30 now so I don't really see adding him as a sensible decision. Suarez, on quality alone, would be an excellent addition. But he comes with baggage. The last 12 to 18 months haven't endeared him to the neutral fan and, as City are in a position of strength when it comes to bring in top quality players, I'd rather we went for someone else.

No, I think the game at our place will be won by a solitary goal, and I think we'll get it. We haven't conceded in our last 6 competitive games (league and FA Cup), but we haven't been as prolific this season either (Dzeko and Aguero had 15 and 16 goals respectively by this time last season, to date they've got 11 and 10 goals during the current campaign).

Mancini will approach the game in his normal way, we'll play possession football, moving it sideways and backwards, trying to work an opportunity through the middle of the pitch without really bothering to get it out wide too much. It'll end up very congested in midfield. As for the team, with the absenties (Yaya, Kolo, Kompany) I think we'll probably go with:-

Hart, Clichy, Nastasic, Garcia, Zabaleta, Barry, Milner, Nasri, Silva, Dzeko, Aguero

1-0 win for City

Bit below where I would have expected us to be, overall we haven't lived up to the standards we set for ourselves last season.

Bit of both really, very tough opponents but players and manager all performed well below what they are capable of

I would have kept him on, but as soon as the manager loses faith that he will improve then the time is right to sell. I think we should have replaced him though, and am disappointed we didn't do that.

Zabaleta has been superb all year. Both in the quality of his play and his attitude and commitment. I've been impressed with Nastasic for a new kid coming into the league. A lot of our squad are yet to hit the heights of last season.

Our forwards have struggled a lot this season, I think Kompany has been down on form as well. Yaya has been disappointing.

I think he's doing a decent enough job. He's not re-inventing football as is often made out, but has the club playing decent football and in a pretty good position in the league. So far I think Liverpool are about where I expected them to be this season.

Not for me. Suarez is a quality player but I could do without the drama that comes with it (not all self inflicted bit a lot that is). Some of your kids look promising but are better served at a club where they're getting regular games.

Depends who scores first. If it's us I can see a few going in, if it's you I think you'll shut up shop and while you haven't been too successful with that of late we've not been too succesful breaking down defences either.

Same as normal, we'll ease our way into the game, try to keep possession and wait for the right opportunity. Will be interesting to see "who wins the passing" as both teams like to keep hold of the ball. Don't expect many changes to the QPR game, maybe Nastasic in if fit (Garcia to midfield and Milner to bench). I wouldn't change our forwards as pace is going to be more effective than height against your lot I think.

2-1 City

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.