Questions from a Liverpool forum

Ric said:
Been asked to post these on behalf of RAWK as part of their preview of Sunday's game, if anyone fancies answering them:

1. What have you made of your season so far – did you believe at the beginning of the season you would be where you are now?
Slightly disappointing. Too many "winnable2 matches have been turned into draws and we're paying the price for bringing in players who are inferior to the ones that left in summer.

2. For the second season running your side didn't perform too well in the Champions League – why do you think they were unable to replicate their league form in the competition, was it just the quality of the opponents in a tough group or are there other reasons?
Tough group (again) and it was always going to be difficult to qualify for the knock-out stages. That said we didn't perform well particularly against Ajax and got what we deserved - nothing. Need to be much more savvy in Europe, when you're 2 - 1 up with 5 mins to go in Madrid it doesn't matter that you don't deserve to be infront, just see the game out (in the style of Liverpool of old)

3. The transfer window passed without much in terms of additions for City, and of course Mario Baloteli left to join Milan. What are you feelings on the strength of your squad post-January, and how do you feel about amario's departure?
Always disappointing when a player with obvious ability chooses not to try and apply himself to the game. Who knows why, but who knows anything with Mario. He'll probably be the best player in Italy for the next 10 years but the club have made the correct decision letting him go.

4. Who have been the players in the City squad that you have been most impressed with this season and why?
Zabaleta obviously, he's become something of a talisman for the team. Nastasic at 19 looks like he's going to be a class act and as always Gareth Barry just goes about his job quietly and efficiently whilst everyone says he's shite.

5. Any players underperformed?
One or two have been "off the pace". Tevez has worked his butt off but the goals have dried up. Yaya has been immense at times and invisible at others, Joe Hart likewise has performed brilliantly at times but let some soft ones in. Samir Nasri - let's not go there !

6. I'd like to change the focus to Liverpool now if you don't mind. What is your opinion on how our season has gone so far, and what do you think of the job Brendan Rodgers is doing at Liverpool?
I have to admit to a level of anti Liverpool bias that is, quite frankly, somewhat irrational, but I will do my best to be positive. Big improvement since Rodgers took over, still not consistent enough to challenge for the league and really should have been more focused on the FA Cup at Oldham. Whatever Liverpool do, or do not achieve, I'd like to see them do it with a bit of good grace and a bit less "we've won it 5 times". Oh, and will someone please buy Brendan Rodgers a coat that fits.

7. Are there any members of the current Liverpool squad that you would like to see playing at City?
Several of them would improve the squad but can't see many of them being first choice players with exception of Gerrard of course who would walk into anyones first team

8. Our sides drew 2-2 at Anfield earlier this year in a game full of quality and mistakes in pretty equal measure. Do you see the game at the Etihad being another high scoring game?
Hard to imagine another 2 - 2 given that we've not conceded a goal in January but not been scoring for fun either. So it will probably be end to end, game of the season, 4 each, 2 penalties saved etc etc !

9. How do you think Roberto Mancini will approach the game and what team do you think he'll select?
He needs to win, can't afford to go 10 points behind United. Come on be fair, all you Liverpool fans don't want to see that happen do you?

10. Finally, care to make a prediction?
[/quote]
As the eternal pessimist I'll have to go 1 each

Wolfie1988

Absolutely spot on and very eloquently put. Ever thought of a career in sports journalism? :-)

1. What have you made of your season so far – did you believe at the beginning of the season you would be where you are now?
Yes. The season has been okay so far. Not doing anything particularly wrong at all apart from taking chances that are created in some tight games (hence the 7 draws). But we're not conceding goals thus not losing games. Can't complain.

2. For the second season running your side didn't perform too well in the Champions League – why do you think they were unable to replicate their league form in the competition, was it just the quality of the opponents in a tough group or are there other reasons?
That's incorrect, actually. We did perform well in last season's CL, accumulating the highest points tally ever for a team not to qualify. Bayern München are a much better team than us and we just couldn't quite find one more goal in Naples. Other than that it was a good start to CL football for Manchester City.
This season there were two teams better than us, two teams of a quality we don't get to face in any of the 38 Premier League games. I never thought we were good enough to qualify when the groups were drawn and we didn't. Yeah okay we could have qualified for the Europa League but Ajax had the exact ingredient that players like Barry cannot cope with (fast running/quick passing midfielders - he's just easily bypassed by these sort of players). But not particularly disappointed because we're not at Dortmund or Madrid's level.

3. The transfer window passed without much in terms of additions for City, and of course Mario Balotelli left to join Milan. What are you feelings on the strength of your squad post-January, and how do you feel about Mario's departure?
To start with Mario: i'm pissed off with him that he didn't put himself into his game fully with us and gutted we'll lose his great chant, but not particularly sad to see him leave because he was a vastly overrated player who has the wrong attitude on the pitch too often.
As for our squad strength: we are too slow in centre midfield and have no real width (apart from Sinclair who is just not good enough) in the squad at all. But January isn't a good time to buy, really. The remainder of this season will show whether Edin is the man or whether we need a top level signing of a true striker (Kun isn't a number 9) in the Summer.

4. Who have been the players in the City squad that you have been most impressed with this season and why?
Pablo Zabaleta, Gareth Barry, Joe Hart, Matija Nastasić, Gaël Clichy and James Milner.
Consistency, dependability, determination, never give-in attitude by those mentioned - and Matija because he's an amazing talent for his age and position.

5. Any players under performed?
Vincent Kompany in spells, Yaya Toure in spells and all of our strikers in tight games when chances are created for them and they miss. Other than that, we're second, so you don't really get under performance when you're second and have only lost two games.

6. I'd like to change the focus to Liverpool now if you don't mind. What is your opinion on how our season has gone so far, and what do you think of the job Brendan Rodgers is doing at Liverpool?
I thought you'd finish mid table this season because of the complete lack of squad depth you have. Rodgers seems to be exceeding that so far. Maybe a shout for a Europa Lg place, maybe not.

7. Are there any members of the current Liverpool squad that you would like to see playing at City?
No. I'd have someone with Luis Suarez's talent and work rate but i cannot abide players who dive and moan and cheat all game every game.

8. Our sides drew 2-2 at Anfield earlier this year in a game full of quality and mistakes in pretty equal measure. Do you see the game at the Etihad being another high scoring game?
Liverpool are like no other team in the Prem (oh, bar Stoke) who are like this beast at home against the very top sides but then are a different animal away from home. What score it'll be i don't know.

9. How do you think Roberto Mancini will approach the game and what team do you think he'll select?
We play the same against every team at home, we did against a much better side than us in Real Madrid, and most teams adopt the same tactics at the Etihad (you get - including cup games - about 25 identical games at the Etihad but scorelines can vary). We will go out to boss possession and create as many chances as possible to score goals (sometimes we then take our foot right off the gas and just keep the ball). Arsenal Swansea and Dortmund (who are the best team that has ever played at the Etihad - absolutely phenomenal side!) are the only teams, this season, who have played differently and made it a different game.

No. I don't make them.

Ric said:
en asked to post these on behalf of RAWK as part of their preview of Sunday's game, if anyone fancies answering them:

Shite, as champions we should have build on last year sucess but instead Ushited got stronger and we got weaker.
We came up against some class teams and rotated the squad too much.

3. The transfer window passed without much in terms of additions for City, and of course Mario Baloteli left to join Milan. What are you feelings on the strength of your squad post-January, and how do you feel about amario's departure?

Glad he's left it's impossible to keep 4 high profile, strikers.

Zabaleta, now widely regarde as the best right back in the league, Nastasic if this lad doesn't end up world class I'll eat my laptop.

Tevez, Kompany, Hart, Yaya, Aguero but most of all Nasri, he has the talent to be world class but lacks the bottle.

As well as can be expected.
Suarez(despite the bad publicity he's one of the best players in the league, Sturridge Hughes should never have got rid of him, Lucas Leiva, would be a better fit for us than Garcia./color]

Yes but a City win.

Attack, Hart, Zabaleta, Lescott, Garcia, Clichy, Rodwell, Barry, Milner, Silva, Dzeko, Aguero,

3-2 City.

Ric said:
Been asked to post these on behalf of RAWK as part of their preview of Sunday's game, if anyone fancies answering them:

Pretty much expected the position we are in now. I believed that if Van Persie stayed fit it would be hard to keep pace with United. We have had injuries this season..last season we didn't have many.

The quality of opposition was superb. If we had held on in Madrid it would have been different. Dortmund are the best side I have seen at our place since the Liverpool side of the late 70s/80s.

I liked Mario. He was an entertainer and will always be remembered for the way he took the piss at Old Trafford. It was however time for him to move. Our squad has been hit by injuries this season to key players like Aguero, Kompany and Nastasic. The defence has improved since Lescott came back in Garcia is starting to play well.

Zabalata has become world class and is a mainstay of our team (and has captained Argentina) Nastasic is incredible for a teenager. Milner and Barry have been excellent (apart from the last couple of games)

None of the strikers has really got going. Tevez started great and always works hard but has missed chances. Nasri has been poor. His confidence may have been shattered by the last minute goal he gifted United.

I don't rate Rodgers. I think he does not have enough gravitas to manage a major club like Liverpool. I think your central defence has looked weak. Whatever the papers say Gerard (a true great in his prime) is not the force he used to be. Suarez is fantastic.

Suarez would walk into our team on current form. I have always liked Sturridge but he would only be on the bench for us..which is why he went to Chelsea.

I expect it to be a low scoring match. The only teams that have had success with us have been those who parked the bus. We are struggling to finish chances at present.

He will play his usual 4231 formation. Hart, Zabaleta, Lescott, Nastasic, Clichy at the back...Barry and Garcia holding...Auguero, Silva, Sinclair, with Djecko up front. Sinclair making a start ahead of Tevez will be designed to give us more width.

A narrow win for City. We just have to win because if we don't we will effectively gift the league to our mutual enemy.

Where I expected

Tough group, injuries to key players eg Silva & Aguero plus we didn't raise our game

Sad Mario is gone. He was hugely gifted but couldn't get in the team as he didn't apply himself week by week

Zabaleta and Clichy. They just keep getting better. Garcia because he is a new player who missed part of the season through injury

Aguero and Tevez

Very poor start, since then top standard. Not sure about Brendan Rogers yet.

Suarez

No because Liverpool will defend

Same as always. Try and control and dictate the game.

City 1-2 Liverpool

1. What have you made of your season so far – did you believe at the beginning of the season you would be where you are now? -

below average. I thought we would be closer to United and probably top.

2. For the second season running your side didn't perform too well in the Champions League – why do you think they were unable to replicate their league form in the competition, was it just the quality of the opponents in a tough group or are there other reasons? -

playing three at the back and inexperience and it was a tough group.

3. The transfer window passed without much in terms of additions for City, and of course Mario Baloteli left to join Milan. What are you feelings on the strength of your squad post-January, and how do you feel about amario's departure? -

our squad is the best in the PL, Mario hasn't done much so we'll only miss him if there are injuries.

Barry and Zabba

Aguero and Tevez and Nasri

I think Rodgers is a charlatan, I think he is out of his league and a terrible manager. You are where you are in spite of him and not because of him. You are very lucky Suarez and Gerrard have stayed fit as you would be 12th without them IMO

No

Yes, for the team in blue.

He'll attack you Brendon. Do your own research.

4-1 City

strongbowholic said:

Well, we like to take each game as it comes and if we are in the mix in May we'll be happy.

It's a funny old game and we try just to take each game as it comes. Unfortunately it wasn't to be this season.

We've got a good squad and we'll work with those players and see where we go; of course we wish Mario all the best at Milan

It's a team game; we win as a team and fail as a team. The lads have done terrific.

No, the boys have done well. Of course there are some results that we'd like to change, but that's football.

Brendan's a good manager, but he's at another club so it would be wrong to comment.

It's disrespectful to talk about other clubs' players so we don't.

There's no such thing as an easy game so we'll work hard, do our best, give 100% and if it's good enough on the day, hopefully we'll come away with the points.

He'll have a plan worked out and he'll pick a team to suit that plan.

No, we never make predictions, we just take each game as it comes.

I like this...... David Platt eat your heart out :)

Seasons can only be truly assessed at their close. However, I expected us to make the Europa League and progress in the League Cup.

A plodding midfield and bewildering tactical changes did not help. Credit, though, must go to our opponents who played with a pace and tempo we arguably never see at weekends.

3. The transfer window passed without much in terms of additions for City, and of course Mario Balotelli left to join Milan. What are you feelings on the strength of your squad post-January, and how do you feel about Mario's departure?
We arguably still have the strongest squad but injuries have hampered and hindered all season. Balotelli was the only striker who could regularly drop off the defence and shoot from outside the box, so we have lost that option, but alongside diamonds he resembled paste.

Zabaleta and Clichy are the only two who have impressed consistently. All others have had poor games or made costly mistakes along the way. The great worry will come in April and May, as the management have had to rely on these two more than should have been the case, especially Zabaleta, and they may flag.

5. Any players under performed?
Quite a few have not matched the heights that they set themselves. Too many players appear to have bulked up last summer and look stockier versions of the leaner players we saw last season.

Started badly and the form is too inconsistent to merit a high finish. Even within games the team rarely looks like bossing a game for 90 minutes. Rodgers impresses but he will need to be given time and patience.

Suarez. I don't mean to be disparaging, but it's almost painful watching him play with others who are so much his inferior.

You have a habit of upping the performance level against us and I expect it to be close and low scoring... unless you give Jones another whirl between the sticks.

Team practically picks itself these days, and we press high up until we think we've done enough to win. At that point, we invariably let the opponent back into the game and spend the rest of the match fretting about conceding and letting their lead over us grow.

No idea, sorry.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.