Quick question....

lancs blue said:
Dubai Blue said:
lancs blue said:
Dubai Blue said:
I believe it is up to the national FA to nominate you as one of their entries.

The FA have already stated that winners of European trophies would automatically be put forward by them. So, yes we would be in it. At the expense of the team who finishes 7th.

Holders qualify outright and it doesn't reduce the number of UEFA Cup qualifiers from that country.
It does. For example, if Arsenal win the Champs League and finish 5th. Aston Villa would miss out.

No they wouldn't - look at the access lists for next season, "TH" -title holders - have an entry to themselves in both competitions so there is no reduction in the allocation from the national association of the holders.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/format/newsid=788260.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/fo ... 88260.html</a>
Looks like you're right. That'll teach me for listening to journalists!!

One question though, if United win the Champions League and also finish in the top four, who gets the spare place?

Dubai Blue said:
Looks like you're right. That'll teach me for listening to journalists!!
LOL

UEFA changed it after the fiasco when Liverpool finished 5th but won the CL and there was no automatic right then for the holders to defend the title.

Right, I'm gonna try to save a bit of face here!!!

I was right about the Champions League. Only four teams will qualify regardless of who wins it and where they finish in the league. That space for the title holders is taken away from a country's existing allocation.

I was wrong about the UEFA Cup though. The winners plus 3 others go in it.

What if an English club wins the Champions League, but finishes outside the top four?

We’re looking at you, Liverpool and Arsenal. They qualify for next season’s Champions League as holders and the fourth-placed team drop down into the Europa League.

And what if Man City win the UEFA Cup?

Apart from everyone rushing outside to check pigs aren’t flying at a low altitude, City would qualify for next season’s Europa League along with three other English clubs.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1158690/Can-club-make-Europe-The-answer-Yes-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -Yes-.html</a>

lancs blue said:
pedigreeblue said:

And that shows up another inaccuracy in that Daily Mail article which insists that the FA Cup runners-up can't qualify for Europe and that UEFA article specifically says they can.
There is an important distinction to be made between UEFA's rules and the FA's rules though. UEFA give a certain number of places but each FA is free to distribute them as they choose. It is the FA that has decided that losing FA Cup finalists won't get a place. Basically because they don't want the embarrassment of having a team like Millwall representing them in Europe again.

Dubai Blue said:
lancs blue said:
pedigreeblue said:

And that shows up another inaccuracy in that Daily Mail article which insists that the FA Cup runners-up can't qualify for Europe and that UEFA article specifically says they can.
There is an important distinction to be made between UEFA's rules and the FA's rules though. UEFA give a certain number of places but each FA is free to distribute them as they choose. It is the FA that has decided that losing FA Cup finalists won't get a place. Basically because they don't want the embarrassment of having a team like Millwall representing them in Europe again.

so will 6th always noiw be a europa league space??

eshiers1 said:
so will 6th always noiw be a europa league space??
You mean in future years?

No, it depends on who wins the cups. Only 5th place in the league is guaranteed Europe League. If, for example, Portsmouth and Newcastle win the cups, Europa qualification would only go down to 5th place.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.