rags???????????????

mancitymick said:
It goes all the way back to the early days of Football. When they had just formed they had no kit, no money (Bit like now) so they had to play in borrowed scruffs. Hence RAGS!!!!
there still at it i have seen united teams of trialists who are under contract for other clubs playing at ashton on mersey school and the united team playing in old city kit so the secret wouldnt get out

whoops not a secret anymore

Dubai Blue said:
Gary James has posted on this subject before and I think we can all agree that he is somewhat of an authority on all things City-related.

Way back in the 20s or 30s, United were so poor they played in the same kit for several years. It became ripped and tattered over time, yet they continued to play in it. United fans then started to joke that they were off to Old Trafford to watch the 'rags'. City fans then picked up on it.

utd fans did use the term first in the 1930s when they were skint and almost went out of business. City fans picked up on it and started to use it by the late 1930s and some wag (no idea who) eventually gave it the Red Arrogant Gits tag, although didn't most Mancs use 'Gets' in day to day language, so why Gits was used is a mystery. The word 'Get' was pretty abusive in the immediate pre-war/post war period (Git suggests idiot, I believe Get was much worse).

I interviewed an old supporter (Harry Hughes) in 1996/7 and he was in his late 90s at the time and he talked of utd fans using the term Rags at his place of work in the 1930s. He and a few other City fans used the same term and almost caused a fight he claimed. He told me that by the time of the war every City fan was calling them Rags. Whether it's true or not I have no documentary evidence, but he seemed to know what he was talking about on a lot of stuff from the 20s & 30s that I've since found evidence of.

Incidentally, in the 30s journalists used to criticise Utd and their fans a lot and they described the leader of the United supporters club as the 'Hitler' of football because he was always trying to organise boycotts and protests.

Its been rags for as long as i can remember,my grandad always called it them and told me it was down to the kit thing.

Great to find out the true history/origin of it from the "city encyclopedia" though thst is Mr James.

I used to love using it but with each passing day of posting on here i get bored of it!

p.s agree with dave about man ure,anyone using that or man yoo over the ages of 14 needs to give their head a wobble :-)

mike o said:
p.s agree with dave about man ure,anyone using that or man yoo over the ages of 14 needs to give their head a wobble :-)

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111962</a>

Get wobbling, Tolmie...

Off the internet I never use the term rag and try not to on here although I probably have on occasions.... (sounds a bit public school boyish).... I just call them red shite when I am out and about!

Didsbury Dave said:
mike o said:

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111962</a>

Get wobbling, Tolmie...

Maybe all users of man ure can get together pre game tonight and theyre can be a communal team bonding/wobbling session.

bada bing said:
The term 'rags' isn't cutting enough. We must think of something else to call them.
Any suggestions ???

use this analagy of why they are called "rags"
in the sixties in a wythenshawe pub a visitor started an argument that there must by some reds in wythenshawe ? the answer was very crude but stopped the argument dead
" THE ONLY THING IN WYTHENSHAWE THAT IS RED AND WHITE IS A USED JAM RAG "
this was forever shortened to rags.

so when we call them rags it is a comparision with something very unpleasent and any of the rags I know would sooner be called m@nichs than rags
and I know that they were called rags in the 30's but i use the term when I really want to insult them

mike o said:
Didsbury Dave said:
mike o said:

Get wobbling, Tolmie...

Maybe all users of man ure can get together pre game tonight and theyre can be a communal team bonding/wobbling session.

Another Wobbler:
<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111921</a>

Although I suspect he is under 14. He even uses "scum" which is a word which should exlusively be used by fans of small West Country teams to describe their rivals.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.