Ragugee's

The number of fans who claim to be City fans after we won the FA Cup and title amazed me. People I thought were not football fans, suddenly told me how pleased they were and how their Dad, Grandad etc was a City fan. Probably some truth in it. The only fans who matter are those who really strongly identify with the club through good and bad, but inevitably you win more fans in the good times. Hopefully they last through the bad.

The number of fans who claim to be City fans after we won the FA Cup and title amazed me. People I thought were not football fans, suddenly told me how pleased they were and how their Dad, Grandad etc was a City fan. Probably some truth in it. The only fans who matter are those who really strongly identify with the club through good and bad, but inevitably you win more fans in the good times. Hopefully they last through the bad.

True. I recall as a kid in High School during the rags success in 1999, the euphoria at my school was clear, with teachers having days off, it was like England were in a world cup final during the Champs League final. Large swarms, like ants around a piece of shit all enjoying the rag vermin.
Fast forward into 2015 and many have crawled back under their Take That duvet sets, think football is shit now and instead enjoy watching Big Brother.

Back in the mid to late 80's there was two blues in my primary school. Me and a lad called Carl. We would get torn to pieces when wearing a MCFC shirt. We were shite back then. My first game was against Villa in 87 or 88 and we got beat 2-0. Sat in the restricted view seats in the main stand with me dad. I got the piss ripped out of me through the 90's also for being a blue but it never bothered me. Saw a lad a few weeks ago that was a red in school. even up until 99-00 when they did the treble as I remember seeing him in the boozer gloating...he had a MCFC tracksuit top on. Shows the loyalty of rags

This has always been the case. When I was at School it was during the time supporting Oldham Athletic was fashionable and many kids (United fans) began to follow them. Now they are all back to being United fans. I personally think it is pathetic and dislike the thought of them basking in any of the reflected glory from our success, but am reassured that they cannot possibly get the emotional happiness from our success as I possibly do, having waited all my life to see us win the FA Cup and League.

I actually think there have always been a fair number of "converts" in our support. United appeal to little kids who know nothing. It's that glitzy, tacky, Take That, follow the crowd thing that they have, or certainly had a few years ago.

Kids grow up and a fair number realise that City have more soul, more honesty, and are an awful lot more loveable than that PLC down the road.

It's almost the other way round, to a degree, I guess now. I've moved to Yorkshire and amongst the under 10s (my boys play junior football) there are loads of City shirts.

I work for an Indian company,(with about 60/40 Indian/White) and there are more "City Fans" than UTD, which is more as a barometer of our attractiveness to new fans than other teams, who would previously jump on the UTD/Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal bandwagon

These blues have always been out there but I think it's particularly noticeable with the kids. There is no doubt a lot of kids didnt want to be City fans ten years ago because of the stick they got from their Rag mates. Not any more. Kids are now proud to be Blue! May it always be the case.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.