#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly couldn't have said it any better myself. The guy does 1 MAYBE 2 OK things each game to gloss over utter technical ability deficiencies which result in him wasting chance after chance. Thats without going into the confidence/mental/decision making weakness side of things.

I appreciate him for his past efforts and he had a couple of excellent seasons. But lets not kid ourselves that it was because of his own brilliance(other than a few occasions)....he was literally fed sitter after sitter in previous seasons(thanks to peps positional coaching) while now in this newer setup his weaknesses are on full display all too often and there are better young wingers on the market. I actually dont know how he gets in ahead of torres right now given torres can also play both sides comfortably and we know he can link with phil very well on the left.

I hate sounding so harsh on raz but he's been completely underwhelming for a long time now. You could argue these same difficiencies cost us last year against lyon too. For a top class winger to regularly just run into legs and miss sitters is unforgivable imo...at least make the defender/keeper work, even if it doesnt end up coming off. The odd miss is understandable but when you scuff more than you finish from the kind of chances he gets...its really not a good look.

The most telling thing would be the consideration of who would buy him and for what money. When he was thriving off tap ins(and missing more than he put away) real were touted...but now? hmmm?

If Sterling's goal count is purely down to the brilliance of the team and Pep why have Nolito, Sane, Mahrez etc never got anywhere near as many goals as him despite playing in the same position?

If he is so shit it should be easy to name 10 players to replace him that would improve the team but no one can do it, I wonder why...

If Sterling's goal count is purely down to the brilliance of the team and Pep why have Nolito, Sane, Mahrez etc never got anywhere near as many goals as him despite playing in the same position?

If he is so shit it should be easy to name 10 players to replace him that would improve the team but no one can do it, I wonder why...
You are wrong because he get more minutes then any other player in the same line so if we compare with them he is not effective much

Because his movement off the ball and positional awareness is world class - with Pep’s coaching. He finds himself in all the right places - very rarely will you sit and watch and think why didn’t Sterling make that run?

The issue is he hasn’t got the composure or touch to capitalise on the chances he finds at his feet. It’s like a hunter who can track and stalk game better than anyone, but can’t aim a weapon to save their life - they’ll find themselves in the right place but they’ll miss their mark unless they’re within 2 yards. And of course he gets goals, but if you take enough shots from the positions he works, you’re bound to score; he just isn’t the level of clinical we need - he could be a 30 goal a season player if he had the full skill set.

It’s the most frustrating thing to watch as a fan, considering how the rest of the team seems to be set up perfectly. If we had an Mbappe - or dare I say it if we’d been able to keep Sane - someone with a good touch and some composure, coupled with that positional awareness, I think we’d be sweeping anyone and everyone aside.

You give Sterling Mahrez’s touch and technique, to go with his movement and commitment, and you have the £150m player the press assumed we had 2 years ago. The Euros will be interesting - will he be shown up or will he play a blinder and leave us even more frustrated?

Sané had better goals and assists per-minute stats than Sterling, Sterling just played more minutes and got more overall goals and assists.

Sané had better goals and assists per-minute stats than Sterling, Sterling just played more minutes and got more overall goals and assists.
People just need to watch his overall contribution and opportunities to end product percentage,he isn't effective enough or operating at the levels he should be.........despite the stat padding where goals are concerned and the best efforts of his fan club to disguise such.

Sterling is still a good player,but the player of 18 months ago was devastating and deserving of the adulation......this version is a pale imitation,pretending otherwise is bizarre.

People just need to watch his overall contribution and opportunities to end product percentage,he isn't effective enough or operating at the levels he should be.........despite the stat padding where goals are concerned and the best efforts of his fan club to disguise such.

Sterling is still a good player,but the player of 18 months ago was devastating and deserving of the adulation......this version is a pale imitation,pretending otherwise is bizarre.
He scored 20 goals last season and we're not scoring as much as we used to as the team has changed but he's still got healthy numbers. Can't think of a player I'd swap Sterling with for under £100mil.

Can't think of a player I'd swap Sterling with for under £100mil.

Don't make him bring out his shortlist.

giphy-downsized.gif

Since the start of the new year, he has scored 5 league goals. Not a terrible return but hardly ripping up trees.

The importance of the goals?

The 4th in a 4-0 win.
The 5th in a 5-0 win.
The 2nd in a 2-0 win.
The 3rd in a 4-1 win.
The only goal in a 1-0 win.

Obviously this is purely goal stats and doesn't take into account overall performances (luckily for him).

Every goal is important and counts, so I am not going to knock the lad for getting the final goal in huge wins, but looking at the above, I would say its a bit of a stretch to suggest this couldn't be replaced for £100m.

I mean if we were looking at signing someone for £100m with the above record, this place would go into meltdown.

Since the start of the new year, he has scored 5 league goals. Not a terrible return but hardly ripping up trees.

The importance of the goals?

The 4th in a 4-0 win.
The 5th in a 5-0 win.
The 2nd in a 2-0 win.
The 3rd in a 4-1 win.
The only goal in a 1-0 win.

Obviously this is purely goal stats and doesn't take into account overall performances (luckily for him).

Every goal is important and counts, so I am not going to knock the lad for getting the final goal in huge wins, but looking at the above, I would say its a bit of a stretch to suggest this couldn't be replaced for £100m.

I mean if we were looking at signing someone for £100m with the above record, this place would go into meltdown.
Exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.