#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh i agree completely, if he had Mahrez technique he would be a top 3 player in the world.

Despite Mahrez have 10x better technique than him, Sterling is still a better, more impactful player for us who regularly contributes to us winning games.

Here is the list of players i would say are as good or better than him in world football as a left winger:

Neymar,
Hazard (if he gets fit and to top form)
Mane
Son

Do people want us to spend £100m on a debatable upgrade for one of these players?
If we have Sterling at the top of his game, he has as good an impact as anyone from out wide.

If we are talking purely on football talent, he is nowhere near the top levels of the game. You could pick any random list of wide players in the Prem, and the vast majority will do the simple things better than Sterling. Even at City, do we have any other wide player that has worse technique than him? Foden, Bernardo, Mahrez, Gabby and Torres have all played wide, and all are far more comfortable on the ball than he is. That's 5 players just at City, never mind at any other club.

This isn't to say there is a massive list of better players than Sterling, there isn't, just that Sterling has massive strengths and glaring weaknesses. If he is at the top of his game, his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses, and he has a positive impact on the side. His pace is obviously a major asset, and his movement off the ball is as good, if not better than any other player in World football. If he utilizes his strengths, he bags 30+ goals a season and nobody has any issues.

When he isn't at the top of his game, he stands out like a sore thumb, because his main weaknesses are the simple things that you would expect any footballer, at any level to be capable of. I actually find myself shocked, that a guy who has probably been playing football every day, for the best part of 20 years, cant control a football and kick it properly. I've seen kids playing in the park, who control and pass a football better than Sterling.

At his best, the list of possible Sterling replacements is so short, you are 100% correct in that, it wouldn't be worth the risk or outlay, to even think about replacing him. Currently, you could replace him with practically anyone of a decent standard, and not see a major drop in the teams overall performance levels.

I know we have a MOTM vote/thread after every game. I think it would be quite telling if we saw the number of times Sterling has been voted MOTM over the course of this season. I know the actual MOTM numbers might not tell the whole story, because if someone was the 2nd or 3rd best player on the pitch every week, they are probably having a great season despite not having a lot of MOTM awards. That being said, I doubt Sterling would be in the top half a dozen on total votes.

Is he not currently trying to negotiate an enhanced contract
Just wondering when would be the best time to sell him if we were so inclined. If we got Haaland at the expense of Sterling this summer for example it could make sense given that we have plenty of cover too.

As others have said I'm not sure that Sterling can go much further. His best form is as good as he can get. And that's fine perhaps. But does it move us further forward as an ever improving team? (Only Pep and Co will know)

Even though I'd like to sell Mahrez can we even get much for him? So is Sterling the only viable salable asset for the next phase of the project?

Just wondering when would be the best time to sell him if we were so inclined. If we got Haaland at the expense of Sterling this summer for example it could make sense given that we have plenty of cover too.

As others have said I'm not sure that Sterling can go much further. His best form is as good as he can get. And that's fine perhaps. But does it move us further forward as an ever improving team? (Only Pep and Co will know)

Even though I'd like to sell Mahrez can we even get much for him? So is Sterling the only viable salable asset for the next phase of the project?
Sell him this next window.

If we have Sterling at the top of his game, he has as good an impact as anyone from out wide.

If we are talking purely on football talent, he is nowhere near the top levels of the game. You could pick any random list of wide players in the Prem, and the vast majority will do the simple things better than Sterling. Even at City, do we have any other wide player that has worse technique than him? Foden, Bernardo, Mahrez, Gabby and Torres have all played wide, and all are far more comfortable on the ball than he is. That's 5 players just at City, never mind at any other club.

This isn't to say there is a massive list of better players than Sterling, there isn't, just that Sterling has massive strengths and glaring weaknesses. If he is at the top of his game, his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses, and he has a positive impact on the side. His pace is obviously a major asset, and his movement off the ball is as good, if not better than any other player in World football. If he utilizes his strengths, he bags 30+ goals a season and nobody has any issues.

When he isn't at the top of his game, he stands out like a sore thumb, because his main weaknesses are the simple things that you would expect any footballer, at any level to be capable of. I actually find myself shocked, that a guy who has probably been playing football every day, for the best part of 20 years, cant control a football and kick it properly. I've seen kids playing in the park, who control and pass a football better than Sterling.

At his best, the list of possible Sterling replacements is so short, you are 100% correct in that, it wouldn't be worth the risk or outlay, to even think about replacing him. Currently, you could replace him with practically anyone of a decent standard, and not see a major drop in the teams overall performance levels.

I know we have a MOTM vote/thread after every game. I think it would be quite telling if we saw the number of times Sterling has been voted MOTM over the course of this season. I know the actual MOTM numbers might not tell the whole story, because if someone was the 2nd or 3rd best player on the pitch every week, they are probably having a great season despite not having a lot of MOTM awards. That being said, I doubt Sterling would be in the top half a dozen on total votes.
Great post, spot on

To those who were asking "why sterling gets into the squad if he lacks talent" and "pep obviously see's something in him" etc...

Pep clearly likes those who follow his exacting instructions. One of sterlings strengths is his adherance to peps wishes on the pitch. Thats why he improved his positional game leaps and bounds. The other is his superhuman levels of fitness...as pep himself has alluded to many times.

Its the moments where he himself has to make something happen(pep famously said in intervioews that he himself is responsible for the first 2/3 of the build up play...the final third is on the players) where he fails so many times, thats when the debate starts about the quality of raheem. He clearly has utility, follows orders well, is nippy and hardworking, and has great stamina. Unfortunately what he doesnt have is enough talent in front of goal, or any of the important mental attributes. Thats is something a "top, top, top level team" cannot afford to carry.

I take no pleasure in having this debate either because he's scored some important goals for us in recent years.

Saka is the kid,everything and more that Sterling was.
Ehhh I rate Saka but that's a pretty bold claim.

Saka (19) has recorded 6 goals, 7 assists, with 416 minutes per goal ratio, over 31 games
Sterling (19) recorded 11 goals, 12 assists, with 239 minutes per goal ratio, over 39 games (this is with Liverpool)

At the same age, they are very close in quality, but stats-wise, Sterling has more eye for goal. So I disagree Saka is more than Sterling was. That is, of course unless I'm misconstruing your argument.

Pep must see a different player to most people on here, as he seems to pick him for all important games

Ehhh I rate Saka but that's a pretty bold claim.

Saka (19) has recorded 6 goals, 7 assists, with 416 minutes per goal ratio, over 31 games
Sterling (19) recorded 11 goals, 12 assists, with 239 minutes per goal ratio, over 39 games (this is with Liverpool)

At the same age, they are very close in quality, but stats-wise, Sterling has more eye for goal. So I disagree Saka is more than Sterling was. That is, of course unless I'm misconstruing your argument.

To be fair he was playing along side Suarez in his prime and a team brimming with the kind of confidence(until the end of teh season at least lol) arsenal can only dream of. Current arsenal is no comparison to 2014 dippers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.