#7 | Raheem Sterling - 2020/21 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can tolerate him being off form for 18 months minimum if he could actually contribute to the team. What people are refusing to see is the embarrassing performances on the pitch. They guy cannot even control a ball or do a decent dribble without getting tackled. His passing is mediocre at best, over hitting simple balls. If he tries to run quick with the ball it looks like hes about to fall over.

Look over his last 10 performances as a sample and you will see what I mean. You cringe watching him as he fails to do the most basic things. What is even worse is that he looks like he isnt tracking back like he used to always leaving the LB exposed and you see him walking back from LW.

If this was a case he was on a goal drought but was helping on the pitch making space for others for example the okay but his performances now have been shocking.

Anyone who thinks I am over exaggerating look at his last 2 games or watch him closely the next time he plays.

TBF Kaz that works both ways.

Maybe some of the criticism goes overboard, but his supporters are just as staunch in their opposite view, even if they have to go back to his form 12/18 months ago to get that point of view across.

Absolutely,this is the most hypocritical thread on the forum.

We need a 'yawn' button ;-)

It's not really a tough decision though...

...it's that simple. I don't believe for 1 second the club is even debating whether he gets a new contract or not, and from what @BillyShears and IIRC @tolmie's hairdoo have said, they aren't.
If it’s that simple, should the wages on the new contract be:
  • Significantly higher than now?
  • Significantly lower?
  • About the same?

If it’s that simple, should the wages on the new contract be:
  • Significantly higher than now?
  • Significantly lower?
  • About the same?

He will probably get a small bump to reflect the fact he's now one of the club captains and his fantastic performance as the main goalscorer at the club since his last deal.

The fact he's comfortable negotiating himself and not having an agent says that its not a confrontational negotiation.

Stats are deceiving. Only with stats, people could say that Sterling's best season was the last one. With stats in hand, people could say Sterling is better than both Robben and Ribery(IMO the 2 best pure wingers of the last decade). If you only focus on stats then players like Bernardo are average at best.

Sterling on 2017-2019 was much more than just a goalscorer, and part of the reason why he was so good was our playstyle then. Pedro Rodriguez had 2 or 3 seasons with +20 goals +10 assists in Barca. No one would ever say he's world-class. I am not saying Sterling is at Pedro's level, I am just saying that even with great stats, the context of the team where they play is just as important.

20-21 City is much more technical in its attack. The combination of Foden-Gundo-Zinchenko/Cancelo and Mahrez-KDB-Bernardo-Cancelo are purely based on 1-2 touches, dribbling, and precise passes. Things Sterling lacks immensely. Sterlin on an attack of KDB-Aguero-Sane can be great, but I don't know if he can excel in this new system. So far, it's clear he can't.

That's why taking stats from past seasons is meaningless. It tells us what we know, he is a really good player who can be great with the correct system. The reality is the new system is not suited for him, and we should ask if he'll be able to produce in the next seasons. I don't think he will, but I have nothing against him, only respect and admiration for what he has given us. Still, for +70m I would sell him in a heartbeat.

1619176836732.jpeg

This thread in 40 years... opinions still firmly stuck to, stats still at the ready, Sterling having spent another 10 years at City, scoring 20 goals but also skying 6 sitters a season - some of them in massive games.

Scientists at the FA will have developed intricate tests to work out exactly whether or not he can strike a ball cleanly. They’ll still be inconclusive.

Well if he doesn't suit the system not much point in hanging around. For what it's worth the football we play now ie:- possession based pass it to death is a borefest a lot of the time. Give me the move it forward quickly style anyday .
If Raheem suits that better not much he can do to adapt to be fair. It's not his skillset.

You can tolerate him being off form for 18 months minimum if he could actually contribute to the team. What people are refusing to see is the embarrassing performances on the pitch. They guy cannot even control a ball or do a decent dribble without getting tackled. His passing is mediocre at best, over hitting simple balls. If he tries to run quick with the ball it looks like hes about to fall over.

Look over his last 10 performances as a sample and you will see what I mean. You cringe watching him as he fails to do the most basic things. What is even worse is that he looks like he isnt tracking back like he used to always leaving the LB exposed and you see him walking back from LW.

If this was a case he was on a goal drought but was helping on the pitch making space for others for example the okay but his performances now have been shocking.

Anyone who thinks I am over exaggerating look at his last 2 games or watch him closely the next time he plays.
No exaggerating here mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.