Raheem Sterling .....

WARD21 said:
I had hoped he would've signed for us. Been following his career, the boy's special.

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146880&hilit=Raheem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146880&hilit=Raheem</a>

What a shame the club didn't appear to follow their initial interest in Sterling up .... looks like we've made a bad eror of judgement there.

I will go against the grain here. Although he will probably become a good player in time, I am staggered by the plaudits being flung his way both today and for his performance against Hearts.

To me it is wildly overboard and symptomatic of young players who are talked of as 'a great prospect' at certain clubs being critically reviewed in a totally different manner to those at other clubs.

Whilst not as apparent today, I thought his football intelligence against Hearts was lacking and although he was eye catching thanks to his pace and early ability to get behind the full back, once the defender adjusted to this he was in his pocket.

To be honest, at the moment it looks to me that his game is solely about pace and being played in behind people.

He had slightly better use of the ball today but, as a balance, he didn't look like a credible creative option against City's defence imo.

All of which is slightly harsh when speaking about a 17 year old. However, it staggers me the way that reports, views and opinions are pre determined to a huge extent when judging certain players. And a lot of it is based on circumstance and the club they play for.

Again, I'd be confident that he will turn out to be a good player. But he hasn't shown anywhere near the potential that the media will have you believe he has over his last two performances and in many ways looks like your typical fast, pacy, got a trick English 'bright young thing' who has focused a lot on that but isn't too adept at the technical, thinking, possession is key aspect of the game.

Could be wrong though.

He did well for a 17 year old making his league debut against the Champions but like everyone and the media always do they're going way overboard. He had one spectacular ball-in that Borini flubbed but otherwise wasn't overly involved. Two separate times he couldn't out-run Kolo Toure.

I'd have to see more before I crown him the second coming

jma said:
I will go against the grain here. Although he will probably become a good player in time, I am staggered by the plaudits being flung his way both today and for his performance against Hearts.

To me it is wildly overboard and symptomatic of young players who are talked of as 'a great prospect' at certain clubs being critically reviewed in a totally different manner to those at other clubs.

Whilst not as apparent today, I thought his football intelligence against Hearts was lacking and although he was eye catching thanks to his pace and early ability to get behind the full back, once the defender adjusted to this he was in his pocket.

To be honest, at the moment it looks to me that his game is solely about pace and being played in behind people.

He had slightly better use of the ball today but, as a balance, he didn't look like a credible creative option against City's defence imo.

All of which is slightly harsh when speaking about a 17 year old. However, it staggers me the way that reports, views and opinions are pre determined to a huge extent when judging certain players. And a lot of it is based on circumstance and the club they play for.

Again, I'd be confident that he will turn out to be a good player. But he hasn't shown anywhere near the potential that the media will have you believe he has over his last two performances and in many ways looks like your typical fast, pacy, got a trick English 'bright young thing' who has focused a lot on that but isn't too adept at the technical, thinking, possession is key aspect of the game.

Could be wrong though.

Fair points ......

it's easy to heap too much praise on some young players , and one or two of our own youngsters have probably suffered because of the early expectations levelled at them .......

however one of two youngsters do excel , examples being Rooney , Trevor Francis and Ryan Giggs , to name but a few .....

and if i'm any judge i think we'll hear and see a lot more of young Sterling , he just looks to have that determination about him.

Good debut, but a dirty get when he didn't have the ball, reminded me of Keith curle with all his pulling and blindsided holding

Looks a good prospect as did Theo Walcott, Jermaine Pennant etc.

Let's not get carried away LOL

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.