Raheem Sterling | Arsenal Player (on loan)

I have just never thought he's a top player, and he's proving that outside of City. Even at his best he wasn't my type of player - lauded for his stats rather than his all-round game in general play. His technique is too scrappy for me. I like natural technically gifted footballers.
I think that’s a fair assessment on Sterling.

Good workrate, good off-the-ball movement and understanding of when and where to make runs, quick, good stats between 2017-18 to 2019-20, including many important goals and assists… but erratic and inconsistent with the execution of anything he did with the ball, which saw many howling mess-ups for goals or assists.

He’d be as likely to trip over a bit and dribble the ball out of play as he would be to turn a defender inside out and put a decent cross in, and he’d be more likely to mess up a 1v1 with the ’keeper than slot it home. But then he’d score a brace in a big win or a last minute winner.
Highs and lows (more highs than lows), often little in the middle.

Of the 31 players to have scored 50 or more Premier League goals since Sterling’s debut, Sterling ranks 15th overall in conversion (15.5%).
In terms of those defined by Opta as ‘big chances’, Sterling falls into the bottom third of the group in 22nd, having netted 66 and missed 83 over the course of his top-flight career (44.3%).
[Stats from Opta up to 2021-22]

Good overall contribution, I’m very appreciative of all he did here. With the chances he had should actually have scored more, and he’s a bit of a scrappy player who when he wasn’t scoring was frustrating (and in his final season with us his defensive workrate dropped a lot). Nobody should dismiss the contribution he made to the club ((I don’t think anyone actually does that anyway), but his contribution and his overall ability/skill set can be separated and critiqued on their own merits.

I don’t want to see his career tail off to nothing. I hope Newcastle or Brighton can find a good home for him. He’s definitely still a top hakf of the league player.

His downfall has been incredible. From one of the most important players in England's starting XI to Chelsea's reject.

He's ok until he has too much time to think about it. It's a shame. There is still a world class footballer in there trying to get out, but unfortunately he's in for life. I also think that deep down he doesn't believe the hype himself and has some sort of 'fraud complex'.
I like Raz, and I'm glad he has made it from such a disadvantaged background. He has a lovely family, big houses, medals, caps and lots of dosh, but I think there will be a pang of regret, when he looks back. I hope some club/manager can give him one last hurrah, but for the life of me I can't think who or where.

I always thought he was best on the right wing, as he could use his burst of pace to get a cross in which Haaland would have benefited from in todays team.

On the left, he had to check on to his right foot, which gave defences time to get back in place as he didn’t really have a left foot!

I know inverse wingers are en-vogue at the moment, but I think if a team utilises his pace (if he still has that acceleration) then he’ll come good again.

Needs to have a think what is most important to him. If he wants to play, or be a top earner?

I thought he showed glimpses of his best under Poch last season, but it was never consistent enough.

I wouldn't have minded a punt on him at Spurs but Chelsea would never deal with us and his wages are almost double our cap.

I just can't work Sterling out at all. I don't think he's ever struck me as loyal to any club and doesn't seem to be worshipped wherever he goes. Even now I don't know if he's super sulking, can't be arsed with football, not motivated etc. His demeanour has always been difficult to read.
I think it's a realisation that his super days are somewhat over, and he can have the pick of the less fashionable London clubs.

I watched a video clip of Gundog's two goals v Villa when three came inside a handful of minutes. The assist that gets the plaudits is Kev's pass through the Villa defence but the cross from Sterling onto Gundog's head, bypassing the timewasting Villa non-stopper 'n their fullback was planted right on Ilkay's head.

I thought he showed glimpses of his best under Poch last season, but it was never consistent enough.

I wouldn't have minded a punt on him at Spurs but Chelsea would never deal with us and his wages are almost double our cap.

I just can't work Sterling out at all. I don't think he's ever struck me as loyal to any club and doesn't seem to be worshipped wherever he goes. Even now I don't know if he's super sulking, can't be arsed with football, not motivated etc. His demeanour has always been difficult to read.

I think that’s why there is such apathy (or worse) towards him from blues on here. Even in his peak years at city he seemed a bit detached, and the fans were always more drawn to other players in the side that “got” us.

Even in the Villa game someone else has mentioned, where him coming on clearly helped change the game, he barely celebrated the goals or seemingly the title win. Really odd.

Regardless I do hope he manages to sort his current situation out.

I think that’s why there is such apathy (or worse) towards him from blues on here. Even in his peak years at city he seemed a bit detached, and the fans were always more drawn to other players in the side that “got” us.

Even in the Villa game someone else has mentioned, where him coming on clearly helped change the game, he barely celebrated the goals or seemingly the title win. Really odd.

Regardless I do hope he manages to sort his current situation out.

Yes he's a cold fish alright, hardly smiles either even when he scores.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.