Raheem Sterling | Arsenal Player (on loan)

Raz was a good player but not a great player, but whatever he does in life I'll always respect him for his contribution to our success. But I don't think he'll go to the rags, I just can't see it. That would rattle some cages in Trafford, having been a dipper and then one of God's own: although it would be nice to see the plastics wound up again.

Whatever he does, good luck.

I hate to say it, but I think for £1.4M/mo, or £18M/yr, I think I could happily show up to stay fit and play football with the Youth Team for 3 years! That’s over £50M between now and retirement, and I would not give my employer ANY forbearance on paying me my contracted amount.

His top level career looks over and age is strongly against him salvaging anything from here.

They are continuing to publicly humiliate him to offload the wages. I think I might engage a researcher to cull and collate everything being said, just in case I wanted a constructive dismissal type suit down the road, and to prove what they did to try to force me to leave!

incredibly frustrating player to watch those last 18 months with us
what was the game where he stood on the ball when about to shoot 4 yards out?
anyway i wish him luck he will need it if he ends up at niagara falls.

I'll always treasure that game where he was awarded a penalty for tripping over himself! One of those classic cases where you're either mad with rage or laughing like a drain, depending which team you're supporting.

Sterling to United?

He'd fit in perfectly at the Swamp

Poor technical ability
Tactically braindead
Motivated by money
Can't be arsed attitude
Not a team player
I don’t think that’s a fair representation of what Sterling is.

Sterling is technically poor in relation to other players at City’s level, but he’s definitely not tactically braindead. His understanding of when and where to make runs either to receive a pass or to create space for others is world class. It’s his best attribute, and he was probably the best player in our squad at that.

Pointing being motivated by money at a footballer is obvious because pretty much all of them are. I know an ex-Premier League player who said half the time at training at all the clubs he played for (and there were a few), money would be the topic of conversation - who’s on what, not just at their team but across the league, who’s with which agent and which agents get the best contracts for their players, who’s bought what and what price they got for something they sold, who got something for free and how do they go about getting things for free. It was about money as much as it was about football.
Sterling was offered an increased contract at City but left because he wasn’t getting the game time he wanted and he fell out with Pep over games he wasn’t being picked in.

Was he motivated by money to sign for City or was it because he was told Pep would be coming in a year later? What’s the difference between Sterling signing for City and anyone else?

He never once showed a can’t be arsed attitude or that he wasn’t a team player until his falling out with Pep. For years he was a pressing machine when we used to strangle teams do death with that press we used to have as well as working hard getting back defensively when opposing teams attacked us, and it’s a reason Pep favoured him over Sané (who was a technically better player). Granted, his work rate dropped in his final two seasons with us, but before that he was one of the better ones, and he was always the most hardworking team player in an England shirt when he was getting in that team regularly.

Don’t get me wrong, Sterling’s lower technical ability used to frustrate the shit out of me and I think Pep was right to change his style and move away from players like Sterling for a while. We won a treble with a style that Sterling wouldn’t have suited. We slowed down, we had more control and required more technical players (with Grealish and Bernardo wide as opposed to Sterling and Sané, or Doku and Savinho). It was less exciting but harder to better.

But the most exciting City team, probably most exciting English football team ever, was the Centurions and Fourmidables team, of which Sterling was a huge part.

Your eveluation of him is too harsh.

Last edited:

Sterling is technically poor in relation to other players at City’s level, but he’s definitely not tactically braindead. His understanding of when and where to make runs either to receive a pass or to create space for others is world class. It’s his best attribute, and he was probably the best player in our squad at that.

Pointing being motivated by money at a footballer is obvious because pretty much all of them are. I know an ex-Premier League player who said half the time at training, money would be the topic of conversation - who’s on what, not just at their team but across the league, who’s with which agent and which agents get the best contracts for their players. Sterling was offered an increased contract at City but left because he wasn’t getting the game time he wanted and he fell out with Pep over games he wasn’t being picked in.

Was he motivated by money to sign for City or was it because he was told Pep would be coming in a year later? What’s the difference between Sterling signing for City and anyone else?

He never once showed a can’t be arsed attitude or that he wasn’t a team player until his falling out with Pep. For years he was a pressing machine when we used to strangle teams do death with that press we used to have as well as working hard getting back defensively when opposing teams attacked us, and it’s a reason Pep favoured him over Sané (who was a technically better player). Granted, his work rate dropped in his final two seasons with us, but before that he was one of the better ones, and he was always the most hardworking team player in an England shirt when he was getting in that team regularly.

Don’t get me wrong, Sterling’s lower technical ability used to frustrate the shit out of me and I think Pep was right to change his style and move away from players like Sterling for a while. We won a treble with a style that Sterling wouldn’t have suited. We slowed down, we had more control and required more technical players (with Grealish and Bernardo wide as opposed to Sterling and Sané, or Doku and Savinho). It was less exciting but harder to better.

But the most exciting City team, probably most exciting English football team ever, was the Centurions and Fourmidables teams, of which Sterling was a huge part.

Pep was extremely loyal to Sterling, including picking him in the CL final when he was way off the pace, sacrificing Fernandinho to do so. Not Sterling's fault, but I'm convinced we would have won that game if he'd started Fernandinho.

Pep was extremely loyal to Sterling, including picking him in the CL final when he was way off the pace, sacrificing Fernandinho to do so. Not Sterling's fault, but I'm convinced we would have won that game if he'd started Fernandinho.

Fernandinho, now there was a player worthy of respect.

I agree. It’s Pep’s biggest ever mistake in his career. By then though it wasn’t the best version of Sterling, he had declined by then. Thats why it’s Pep’s mistake and Pep shouldn’t have picked him for that final. But from 2016-2020, Sterling was really good for us and an important cog in winning certainly 7 of the trophies we won while he was with us.

I just think we should be fair to the lad for what he achieved with us and for us, and not misrepresent his qualities/inferiorities like the poster I quoted did. I don’t think it ever does a fanbase any good to misrepresent things because of bias or emotion.

He wasn’t our best player at the time, he was made better by other players and the coach (but that’s what good teams and coaches do anyway), he did drop off a cliff in his last two years with us, i hated the fact he went over to the Liverpool fans after we beat them at Wembley in 2019 posing for photos and giving his shirt away to them, I was glad we sold him when we did, his time with us was up, we needed a different kind of player to enact Pep’s new style of play... but his good qualities were important to us for the time we needed them and he enacted them.

Last edited:

Pointing being motivated by money at a footballer is obvious because pretty much all of them are. I know an ex-Premier League player who said half the time at training at all the clubs he played for (and there were a few), money would be the topic of conversation - who’s on what, not just at their team but across the league, who’s with which agent and which agents get the best contracts for their players, who’s bought what and what price they got for something they sold, who got something for free and how do they go about getting things for free. It was about money as much as it was about football.
Sterling was offered an increased contract at City but left because he wasn’t getting the game time he wanted and he fell out with Pep over games he wasn’t being picked in.

But the most exciting City team, probably most exciting English football team ever, was the Centurions and Fourmidables team, of which Sterling was a huge part.

"World class" .......he can't get in a shit waistcoat wanker squad of 27 or a shit Chavski squad of 43.

He may have had SOME good games but world class , never.

incredibly frustrating player to watch those last 18 months with us
what was the game where he stood on the ball when about to shoot 4 yards out?
anyway i wish him luck he will need it if he ends up at niagara falls.
The game that stands out for me was when we lost at home to the Rags on the 7th April 2018.

We were cruising in the first half and Sterling missed a whole host of chances when through on goal. Managed to lose after being 2 up at half time.

I would have got rid at the end of that season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.