Re: Dunne. How much of this do you agree with?

pardoe

Points i'm sure we'll all agree with...

- Dunney has been a terrific servant for the club. Nine years service in the modern game is quite rare and we should possibly grant him a testimonial game.

- As a man, you probably won't find many who match him in the game. A great guy, a credit to the club and himself.

- On the pitch he did fantastically well to transform himself from the player we saw under Keegan to a very good defender. He should get immense credit for that.

- The man is a modern City legend, and should he leave it will be a very sad day.

Now, the points some of us may have differing views on...

- I don't think his form over the last season, even season and a half, is deserving of a starting place any more. Toure and Lescott are better defenders and have proven it season-after-season in the Premier League for sides who have been better than us.

- Nedum Onuoha was excellent last year and i think it would be unfair to hold him back as fourth choice centre-half, especially after giving him a new deal and probable assurances about his role at the club. Vincent Kompany, though having only played there on occasion for us, showed then, and whenever i've seen him play at the back prior to his arrival here, that he's more than capable of performing well there, too. I feel those four centre-halves will serve us well over the coming seasons.

- As much as Dunne is a tremendous role model, and a good captain in the sense of he leads by example off the pitch, i don't think he's a natural leader on it. He's not vocal enough, he's not a great organiser, and he doesn't lead by example in terms of regular performances. I think Barry, Toure or even Ireland would be better captains, personally, though i think it might be a bit too early in the case of the latter.

- £6m is good business. Not in terms of in relation to the £22m paid for Lescott. We have overpaid a little there but i don't think we should worry too much about that. I mean moreso in that we paid £3m for Dunne, have had nine years service and might be selling him on for double. When the likes of Wenger do that they're lauded as geniusses.

- Dunne's four sucessive Player of the Year awards says a lot about where we were as a club then. Painful as it is to see the likes of him move on, it's a natural part of the evolution of the club from mid-table and inconsistency, to hopefully challenging the big four. We, or moreso the powers-that-be at the club, have to make tough decisions, this amongst the toughest.

- I never feel comfortable with Dunney in the side and haven't done for months. We can't forget his service, but we have to look at the obvious. He's been sent off more than any player in Premier League history. He's scored more own goals than any player in Premier League history. He never looks confident in posesssion, he makes countless other errors, such as giving away penalties, free-kicks in dangerous areas, playing people onside, etc, etc. All defenders make these errors occasionally, but Dunne seems to be making them more and more as time goes by. His aimless longballs are another bugbear. We see the back four play the ball around a bit, Dunne then strides forward, looks around, hoofs the ball straight to their centre-halves.

- Saying this, perhaps Dunne's drastic drop in form isn't entirely his fault. I wonder how much defensive work we do in training. Micah Richards, defensively at least, has also suffered a bit of a crisis in confidence. I occasionally wonder if we work on defending set-pieces, or keeping our line, or distribution from the back, or offensive set-piece moves, because we always look pretty sloppy in these respects.

To sum up, Dunney is a great man, a modern legend of the club, loyal, and has been a credit to the club and us fans. I wouldn't begrudge him the chance to stay around in what might end up being a successful period at the club, but in my eyes he'd now be fourth choice at centre-half. I think a clean break is best, we can't leave the club captain languishing round on the bench, it's not good for him in World Cup year, or for Onuoha's development, and could possibly cause friction behind the scenes. It's with a heavy heart that i think we should accept Villa's bid, if we haven't already. His terrific performance in the Nou Camp could prove a real high point to bow out on.

Good luck, Dunney, you've been a real credit to Manchester City.

I'd agree with all of that, and add that last year he had his first-born to contend with. I see our first four Centre backs being Toure, Lescott, Onuoha, Kompany. Would be nice to have Dunne stay but it would be a heart over head decision.

Agree with all of that really.

In an ideal world when we lift our first trophy of this new era i would like Dunne to be the one to lift it, but i wouldn't want him in the 11 that won it. Sentiment plays no part in football today.

Thanks for your shift Dunney.

Good constructive post. Personally I would give Given the armband if Dunne was to leave the club.

Can't argue with any of it. Wonder if his form suffered also due to not having serious competition for a long time.

I'd love him to stay for one more season while we find our feet a little with all the next signings, but the Villa offer would be a good one for him and couldn't begrudge him that. Still, I do think he'll stay - one last season takes him to 10 years service testimonial time, and am sure he and his family like the area enough to want to stay on. Hope he doesn't feel under pressure to move - he could actually improve being involved with our squad this season, or at least enjoy his football and training, even if not a first choice as we all suspect he may not be.

think dunny shoud get a testamoial has he has been here for a while and he did well when we needed him (apart from o.g.)so i think its only right he gets one even if he leaves this window city should repay him for the years he been at are great club

Not keen on testamonials. It's hard enough getting fans to turn up for cup games. I would like to see him allowed to go for a very small fee with a large signing on fee being aplied. So if he does go to villa, we get £4m he gets £2m and then he can do what he likes with that money. Most testimonials are now donated to charity

sweenyuk said:
Not keen on testamonials. It's hard enough getting fans to turn up for cup games. Most testimonials are now donated to charity

Any testimonial would be more about the event than the money involved. Testimonial money, at this level at least, is now quite rightly donated to charity, but it would be a real chance for the fans to let Dunney know how much they've appreciated his service.

If we put on a game, against good opposition, and didn't charge an arm and a leg for tickets, the stadium would be full, i've no doubts about that at all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.