Re: just been in the baker's

mad4city said:
Just been to the bakery where I couldn't help but notice that many householders allow their staff to dress "casually".
Is this the norm now?
Amongst the clientele (none of whom showed any deference towards I, whatsoever) were a houseboy in ill-fitting, unbelted trousers, what was presumably a chauffer (surely not a butler and most undoubtedly no valet, according to my definition of the word) who, to my horror, went hatless. Hatless!!
Most alarmingly, a common housemaid, attired in gentleman's nightclothes (cheap pyjamas not unlike those you'd have fetched from Harrods as a gamekeeper's Christmas token) stridently refused my generous offer of a guinea for her favours!

By the by, there were also a menagerie of flies, rats and squirrels afoot. Is that healthy?

I am rather interested as to why a gentleman who purports to be from a higher caste, lowered himself to attending a bakery in person?

Surely, one of your household retinue is more suited to the task?

I put it to you, sir, that you are not high-born and are merely putting on a front to mask your lower working-class status?

The dress code at my local bakers is so casual that the buxom wenches serve topless.

I was in there only last week (on 28 occasions). You wouldn't believe the kerfuffle when I sought assurance that the baps were soft, fluffy and fresh. And when I asked for a sausage turnover, well, all hell broke loose.

mad4city said:
Just been to the bakery where I couldn't help but notice that many householders allow their staff to dress "casually".
Is this the norm now?
Amongst the clientele (none of whom showed any deference towards I, whatsoever) were a houseboy in ill-fitting, unbelted trousers, what was presumably a chauffer (surely not a butler and most undoubtedly no valet, according to my definition of the word) who, to my horror, went hatless. Hatless!!
Most alarmingly, a common housemaid, attired in gentleman's nightclothes (cheap pyjamas not unlike those you'd have fetched from Harrods as a gamekeeper's Christmas token) stridently refused my generous offer of a guinea for her favours!

By the by, there were also a menagerie of flies, rats and squirrels afoot. Is that healthy?
zedety6u.jpg

BlueBearBoots said:
were there any wasps in there? rats, flies and squirrels I can cope with but not wasps!
Certainly, there were WASPs madam but, pray God, no Catholics.

The Flash said:
mad4city said:
Is this the norm now?

I am rather interested as to why a gentleman who purports to be from a higher caste, lowered himself to attending a bakery in person?

Surely, one of your household retinue is more suited to the task?

I put it to you, sir, that you are not high-born and are merely putting on a front to mask your lower working-class status?

If you must know, I was partaking of my morning constitutional when I happened upon some street urchins, (such as yourself, no doubt, sir). I am not without pity for the plight of the lower orders and confound it but I was won over by their doggy eyes, matted hair and ring-wormed faces. Loathe to give them actual coinage, lest they'd probably spend it on ale (or Heaven forfend an education, what?), I resolved to demand some of yesterday's crusts from the local boulangier.
For his part, the tradesman was most hospitable. He listened with wide-eyed enthusiasm to my advice about the introduction of a rudimentary dress code and was so enlightened that he wouldn't hear of letting me depart without him being allowed to pay me some tribute; insisting, as he did, that I take with something he described as a "Chester Bun ". This, he took the trouble to wrap especially, out the back of the premises before offering the treat with a both a bow AND a courtesy - most unnecessary, really but one must applaud his application.
It was scrumptious and reminded me of the treats Nanny would give the children before she got herself pregnant and Daddy had her deported. Silly fool that I am, the memory brings a tear to my eye, even now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.