Read all about it - Essential City reads - a list

Oystercatcher28

Team supported
CITY/Aberystwyth Town
Just going through bookshelf, one by one, trying to find something I haven't read more than once...

Steppes to Wembley - Bert Trauttman
Football in the Goalmouth - Frank Swift
The Good, the Mad and the Ugly - Andy Morrison
I'm Not Really Here - Paul Lake
This Simple Game: The Footballing Life of Ken Barnes
Mike Summerbee: The Autobiography
Feed the Goat - Shaun Goater
Catch a Falling Star - Neil Young
Joe Mercer: Football with a Smile - Gary James
Manchester:The Greatest City- Gary James
Manchester City – The Complete Record - Gary James
Kicked into Touch - Fred Eyre
Football, It's a Minging Life - Rick Holden
Manchester City – The Mercer-Allison Years - Penney
Big Mal - Tossel
The Old Black & Green - Aberystwyth Town

Anyone else recommend any Football reads (preferably City related)?

Joe Corrigan, Colin Bell and Ian Cheeseman's books (I think Cheesy wrote Bell's). Corrigan's is particularly good.
David Conn - Richer Than God. You may not agree with Conn's viewpoint on some things but it's an essential read regarding the takeover.
Steve Worthington - Once in a Blue Moon.

Blue Moon: Down Among the Dead Men with Manchester City - Mark Hodkinson

A blow by blow account of our 3rd tier season 1998/99, including York away for the unfortunates on here who missed it. ;-)

It's a neutral journo's viewpoint on the season so you won't agree with all of it but there are some interesting insights.

Century city by David wallace....it's about the 1957/58 season,where city became the first and still,the only club(top flight) to score and concede 100 plus goals in a season.....scored 104,conceded 100..

lancs blue said:

A blow by blow account of our 3rd tier season 1998/99, including York away for the unfortunates on here who missed it. ;-)

It's a neutral journo's viewpoint on the season so you won't agree with all of it but there are some interesting insights.

This one, in spades, I've read it again and again and it's beautifully written.

David Conn - Richer Than God.

They are two of the most intelligent City books ever written and sit alongside Gary James's masterpieces. I see you haven't got "Farewell To Maine Road" by Gary. That's one of his best.

Missing two that really should be on there:

Tony book's autobiography - a great read.

More importantly, Manchester City: Meredith to Mercer and the F.A. Cup by Eric Thornton. This one was written in the late 60's by a journalist who'd been following us from the 20/30s. A fantastic read, giving insight into the early 20th-century years of the club.

edit: Surprised you included the goats autobiography on there. That guy is one of my heros but jesus christ that book was boring. I wouldn't call it an essential read.

Ian Penney The Mercer-Allison Years

John Leigh Bobby Johnstone

Andrew Waldon Waiting fir the Whistle

Dean Hayes Living the Dream from West Gorton Street to the City of Manchester
Stadium

David Conn Richer than God

Craig Winstanley Bleak and Blue

Eric Alexander Please May I Have My Football Back?

Catrine Clay Trautmann's Journey

Alan Rowlands Trautmann

Chris Murray Attitude Blue : Manchester City F.C and
P.L.C.

Steve Mingle Allison Wonderland : Mastermind of
Maine Road's Golden Age

robert nixon big hands big heart , I cant believe he just went to reception at maine road and asked for a trial and he got one

Blue Moon Rising is a good read.

It tracks City's fall and rise in the ten years from 1990 to the promotion back to the Premier League at Blackburn in 2000.

Also, Cult Heroes was very enjoyable, even if I didn't agree with all the selections.<br /><br />-- 19 Feb 2013, 17:02 --<br /><br />
bluekeith said:
robert nixon big hands big heart , I cant believe he just went to reception at maine road and asked for a trial and he got one

Don't you mean Eric Nixon?

lancs blue said:

Great book. Would love to read it again but my brother has never given it back to me.
At the end of the book, does it have City fans' views from the MUEN? Imagine if they were copied from here during the play off final.................

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.