Reading Challenge 2024

The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi
cover.jpg

Having been fired from his tech start-up job and the pandemic just starting to take hold, Jamie finds himself having to take up the option of becoming a deliverer for the very service he was just laid off from. But when that company goes on to get sold it’s lucky for him that one of his last deliveries is to an old acquaintance who’s looking for a body to join his team working for an animal rights organisation who look after some very large animals. After passing his medical and receiving his inoculations (that was a lot of needles) he’s ready for the adventure of a lifetime.

The author describes this novel as a pop song, light and catchy and hopefully leaving a smile on the reader’s face when they’re done and that pretty much sums it up for me. There is definitely more than just an element of nerdiness/geekdom involved in the story and there’s some science explanation necessary at times too but it never overwhelms the ongoing action. There is enough humour to keep that smile plastered in place even when things get tough for our hero and his new friends. While it was never going to win any of the major literary awards this book does exactly what it was meant to do and it certainly hit that spot for me. 4★'s

I read the 1400-page full version - never having read the story before - after it polled so high in BlueHammer’s book poll a couple of years ago.

Great book, but due to it’s length, totally unsuitable for a group read.
Obviously I have an in-depth review ready to go, so it doesn’t affect me either way!
I re-read it during lockdown. Still just as good all these years later.

This is my suggestion...it fails one of the suggested criteria in that it is over 400 pages long and probably a selfish choice - it is a book I have had on my "to read" list since it was released and think it could be an interesting choice. I appreciate that historical fiction isn't everyone's cup of tea.

View attachment 66944

It is the latest release from Robert Harris who is probably better known for WW2 fiction and was well received on release.

"1660. Colonel Edward Whalley and his son-in-law, Colonel William Goffe, cross the Atlantic. They are on the run and wanted for the murder of Charles I. Under the provisions of the Act of Oblivion, they have been found guilty in absentia of high treason.

In London, Richard Nayler, secretary of the regicide committee of the Privy Council, is tasked with tracking down the fugitives. He'll stop at nothing until the two men are brought to justice. A reward hangs over their heads - for their capture, dead or alive."

It's available in hardback and kindle. I am happy to purchase a hardback copy to pass on (logistics to be determined!).

What does everyone think?
Just downloaded the trial (first 4 chapters) and smashed through them so bought it. Will update when I’ve finished.

Slow Horses by Mick Herron
cover.jpg

A slow horse is the epithet assigned to the detritus of MI5 who get tasked to work at Slough House. To be sent there you either have to be monumentally bad at your job or have royally cocked things up. It’s basically a punishment detail given out in hopes that the recipient will quit thus avoiding having to actually fire them. So when a young man has been kidnapped and scheduled for execution live on the internet just for the colour of his skin the slow horses are not exactly who you’d hope for as the best option for the rescue.

I picked up this book because I recently watched and thoroughly enjoyed the TV show that was adapted from it. I probably should have given it a bit more time between watching and reading as the show is quite a faithful adaptation of the story so I knew what was about to happen the whole time. While this took away the suspense the story and, in particular, the characters more than carried me through what was a very good spy thriller. 4★'s

Been off recovering from an RTC since December so managed to get some reading in since the new year.

The Peripheral - William Gibson
Of Mice and Men - Steinbeck
The Pearl - Steinbeck
The Humans - Matt Haigh
Cannery Row - Steinbeck
Recursion - Blake Crouch

Currently reading:
The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August - Claire North

I've enjoyed them all.

If you liked The Road x Cormac McCarthy - I thought it was incredibly good; encapsulated ‘despair’ perfectly. Try Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada. Not a similar gender, but captures mood so well. Brilliant book.

Reactions: ob
8/23 - Hitler’s Secret - Rory Clements

B1FCD0AA-034D-42DA-9BB0-28C537D98FF0.jpeg

This is the 4th book in the Tom Wilde series. The story starts towards the end of 1941 and the war is going badly for Britain and its allies. Wilde is asked by an American intelligence officer to help smuggle a mysterious package out of Nazi Germany - something so secret, even Hitler himself doesn't know of its existence.

Posing as a German-American industrialist, Wilde soon discovers the truth about the 'package', and why the Nazis are determined to prevent it leaving Germany. With ruthless killers loyal to Martin Bormann hunting him down, Wilde makes a desperate gamble on an unlikely escape route.

However, even if he makes it back to England alive, Wilde realises that it will not be the end of his ordeal.

If you’ve read the first three books in the series, it’s more of the same, a decent paced plot with a number of familiar characters.

Just finished Scrublands by Chris Hammer. Think it was recommended in here a while ago so cheers. Similar to Jane Harper books set in Australia and and decent crime novel. I'll read more of his but may try something else first

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.