Reading Challenge 2024

The Testaments - Margaret Atwood.

Was slightly concerned about reading this given the amount of time since The Handmaid's Tale and all the subsequent expansion done by the TV series (though I understand she gave the TV producers the heads up so they could coordinate) Shouldn't have worried, I had forgotten what a brilliant writer Atwood is. Really sharp punchy prose, like being jabbed by a boxer and then throws a combination or two. 4/5

The Man Who Was Thursday - GK Chesterton

A short and a completly bonkers read. What is interesting though is that despite being utterly of it's time (1908 I think) it says some things and poses some questions that are completely of our age. The musings by one of the characters on who the real anarchists are, is particularly pertinent to the age we live in. The prose is quite antiquated but if you can get past that.

4/5

I was going to start the satsuma complex by Bob Mortimer so I will nominate that.
Again though happy enough with anything really.
Already got this on Kindle.

My wife wanted to download his autobiography on Kindle and downloaded this by mistake!

I also have the autobiography from a friend in paperback, which I plan to read in the summer.

10/23 Three Assassins - Kotaro Isaka

6E9718C3-DC01-48FD-AD5B-6580B8021CF7.jpeg

I’m always keen to extend my horizons and read books from other countries and I bought this because it was cheap (99p for Kindle) and also because it was heavily promoted as by the author of Bullet Train, which was made into a movie last year.

The central character, Suzuki, is an ordinary man until his wife is murdered and after discovering the gang behind it, sets about joining them to take his revenge. He is then drawn into the world of professional assassins. The 3 assassins, of the title are The Whale who convinces victims to commit suicide, Cicada the knife expert and The Pusher.

This was a book I had no strong feelings about either way, didn’t love it nor hate it. It was a strange story in an unfamiliar culture, doubt if I’ll read his other books.

I do however have another Japanese novel on my reading list but is a long read so may need to save it for my holidays!

10/23 Three Assassins - Kotaro Isaka

View attachment 75529

I’m always keen to extend my horizons and read books from other countries and I bought this because it was cheap (99p for Kindle) and also because it was heavily promoted as by the author of Bullet Train, which was made into a movie last year.

The central character, Suzuki, is an ordinary man until his wife is murdered and after discovering the gang behind it, sets about joining them to take his revenge. He is then drawn into the world of professional assassins. The 3 assassins, of the title are The Whale who convinces victims to commit suicide, Cicada the knife expert and The Pusher.

This was a book I had no strong feelings about either way, didn’t love it nor hate it. It was a strange story in an unfamiliar culture, doubt if I’ll read his other books.

I do however have another Japanese novel on my reading list but is a long read so may need to save it for my holidays!
Is it Lady Joker? I'm going to read that soon. I've read Hideo Yokohama's books and the David Peace's books set in Japan. Very good reads

Is it Lady Joker? I'm going to read that soon. I've read Hideo Yokohama's books and the David Peace's books set in Japan. Very good reads

Yes, it is! I bought it on a whim in Waterstones recently after reading the back cover! Think it was not long after watching Tokyo Vice on tv so I must have had a bit of a Japanese vibe going on! I'll check out some of David Peace's books - any particular ones to watch out for?

Yes, it is! I bought it on a whim in Waterstones recently after reading the back cover! Think it was not long after watching Tokyo Vice on tv so I must have had a bit of a Japanese vibe going on! I'll check out some of David Peace's books - any particular ones to watch out for?
It's a trilogy starting with Tokyo Year Zero set just after the end of World War 2. Peace's writing isn't for everyone though.

It's a trilogy starting with Tokyo Year Zero set just after the end of World War 2. Peace's writing isn't for everyone though.
You can say that again. This is what I wrote when I read this back in 2009:

It's all just too grim and the style of writing did nothing to alleviate my distaste for this novel. It really was a struggle to pick this up and read a bit more and I could only stomach this in small doses. Reading, to me at least, is supposed to be an enjoyable way to relax and get lost in a story. The only reason I think I finished this book was to make sure I never go back to it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.