Reading Challenge 2024

My brother-in-law lived in Kent for 15 years, so we had many visits down there.

Leeds Castle, Hever Castle and Whitstable were great.

We even went to the short-lived Dickens World, which was an indoor "theme park" based on Dickens' works, including the Great Expectations Boat Ride - a real one-of-a-kind place and a shame it shut down.
Yes remember it..Hever is wonderful, smaller than Leeds..Got a bit pissed off when they started to do balloon rides which looked over my gardens !!!what you or may not know is that many Dickens books were serialised before becoming a full novel. Was surprised to learn this fact. My most favourite author. Now not being pretnentious.If you like Dickens Dostoyevsky is a close second. It is a hard read in many respects unless you understand the Russians revert to partronyms so the same person may have two names !!

Way behind with my updates......

17/23 The Enigma of Room 622 - Joel Dicker

View attachment 90140

I bought this book on a whim as it was 99p for the Kindle and I enjoyed one of the author’s other books "The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair" sometime ago.

It all starts with an innocuous curiosity: at the Hotel de Verbier, a luxury hotel in the Swiss Alps, there is no room 622. This anomaly piques the interest of Joël Dicker, Switzerland's most famous literary star, who flees to the Verbier to recover from a bad breakup, mourn the death of his publisher, and begin his next novel.
He and a companion discover that there is no longer a Room 622 because of an unsolved murder that occurred in the room over a Gala Weekend of a Swiss Bank some years before.

Not only does the author tell the underlying story but also the story of how he wrote it. There’s a lot of toing and froing between timelines, which can be confusing especially as the book runs to over 570 pages!

I’d rate this as a decent holiday read, no more. Quirky

18/23 Bitter Wash Road - Garry Disher

View attachment 90141

Decent Aussie thriller from a well respected author. First (of 4 to date) in the Paul Hirschausen series. Constable Paul Hirschausen is a recently demoted detective sent from Adelaide to Tiverton a one-road town 3 hours north. He is still dealing with the fallout from his demotion, following an internal affairs investigation, when the body of a 16 year old girl is found by the roadside.

An enjoyable read, will definitely continue with the series and look for other books by this author.

Aka “Hell to Pay”

19/23 Red Dirt Road - S R White

View attachment 90142

More Aussie noir....this is the 3rd book by this writer.

In a small one pub town deep in the outback, two men are murdered one month apart. Detective Dana Russo is flown in from hundreds of miles away to investigate. There are no witnesses, no obvious motives and no apparent connection between the killings. The whole town of 50 persons are suspects and Dana has been set up to fail.

Another good read, for me not quite at the level of Jane Harper or Chris Hammer but definitely a writer to look out for.
Got Red Dirt Road for 99p on Amazon

Just finished On Wings of Eagles and loved it. Thanks so much for the recommendation
Glad you enjoyed it. As noted, the reason I suggested it was that I’d always wanted to get around to reading it after my Dad read it in the 80s. Just one of those that I never got around to until now, but you’re right, it was very good.

23/23 The Trial - Rob Rinder

67F6EB93-02AC-4C93-A546-D0118CA8DD21.jpeg

After the Q3 read (On Wings of Eagles) I thought I’d go for something completely different.

Apart from The Satsuma Complex I tend to shy away from celebrity authors but I chose this because it was on offer (for 99p) and I was attracted by the storyline. This is the debut novel by Rob Rinder.

Adam Green is a trainee barrister and is assigned with his pupil-master to the defence of the accused in the murder of a hero detective. Adam is not convinced of the of the guilt of the accused whereas his senior barrister disagrees and resents the fact that this case is taking him away from the case of a lucrative client. Adam digs into the life of the accused and the deceased and unearths some intriguing facts about both.

Some of the characters come across as stereotypes, the lead character comes across as too good to be true at times and the reveal at the end comes across as rushed and a little contrived.

Nevertheless it is an entertaining read and I’ll probably give the next book in the series a go.

One further thing…I thought I’d share a couple of lines from the book that made me chuckle!

3AAF73C5-BF98-4EBD-8DB1-502DC2FD6898_1_201_a.jpeg

23/23 The Trial - Rob Rinder

View attachment 95255

After the Q3 read (On Wings of Eagles) I thought I’d go for something completely different.

Apart from The Satsuma Complex I tend to shy away from celebrity authors but I chose this because it was on offer (for 99p) and I was attracted by the storyline. This is the debut novel by Rob Rinder.

Adam Green is a trainee barrister and is assigned with his pupil-master to the defence of the accused in the murder of a hero detective. Adam is not convinced of the of the guilt of the accused whereas his senior barrister disagrees and resents the fact that this case is taking him away from the case of a lucrative client. Adam digs into the life of the accused and the deceased and unearths some intriguing facts about both.

Some of the characters come across as stereotypes, the lead character comes across as too good to be true at times and the reveal at the end comes across as rushed and a little contrived.

Nevertheless it is an entertaining read and I’ll probably give the next book in the series a go.

One further thing…I thought I’d share a couple of lines from the book that made me chuckle!

View attachment 95256
Looking at the style of the cover, the publishers are clearly going for the Richard Osman crowd.

A lot of people seem to be falling over themselves with praise for Osman, who I think comes across great on the TV, but they shouldn’t have let him near a book. I said at the time, I can’t believe that an editor didn’t pull him up on the writing in the first half of his debut. A few good ideas but tedious writing and child-like execution. Oh and too many TV luvvy in-jokes.

Anyway, no idea if Rob Rinder’s book is anything like this, but all of the above ramble is my way or saying I’m not supporting all these TV starts writing books! Judy Murray, Anton Du Beke etc, it’s just too much.

Apologies, rant over.

Looking at the style of the cover, the publishers are clearly going for the Richard Osman crowd.

A lot of people seem to be falling over themselves with praise for Osman, who I think comes across great on the TV, but they shouldn’t have let him near a book. I said at the time, I can’t believe that an editor didn’t pull him up on the writing in the first half of his debut. A few good ideas but tedious writing and child-like execution. Oh and too many TV luvvy in-jokes.

Anyway, no idea if Rob Rinder’s book is anything like this, but all of the above ramble is my way or saying I’m not supporting all these TV starts writing books! Judy Murray, Anton Du Beke etc, it’s just too much.

Apologies, rant over.
I'm with you on this. Stick to what you're good at and leave the real authors to write proper stories. There are enough books being written without celebs muscling in on the act (autobiographies apart). I've not been drawn to any of them so far, except for The Satsuma Complex, and I blame others for that!

I'm with you on this. Stick to what you're good at and leave the real authors to write proper stories. There are enough books being written without celebs muscling in on the act (autobiographies apart). I've not been drawn to any of them so far, except for The Satsuma Complex, and I blame others for that!
Whilst The Satsuma Complex was OK, it did smack of a TV star writing a book and therefore having license to go anywhere with the story (and not in a good way).

I get why publishers follow this model, by the way. It's an easy formula: get a well known celeb to write a book = an instant guarantee of sales. Job done. Doesn't matter whether it's any good or not.

1. Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch. 7/10.
2. The Racketeer - John Grisham. 5/10.
3. Orphan X - Gregg Hurwitz. 9/10.
4. The Longest Kill - Craig Harrison. 8/10.
5. Notes on an Execution - Danya Kukafka. 8/10.
6. The Satsuma Complex - Bob Mortimer. 7/10.
7. The Garderobe of Death - Howard of Warwick - 6/10.
8. A Village in the Third Reich - Julia Boyd, Angelina Patel - 9/10.
9. Three Days in June - James O'Connell - 9/10.
10. The Guv'nor - Lenny McLean - 10/10.
11. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen - 7/10.
12. The Rescue - Andy McNab - 7/10.

McNab draws from his own knowledge and experiences, and interviews with those involved, to tell the story of the rescue of four aid workers, captured by insurgents in Afghanistan in 2012. I think it is heavily fictionalised, but McNab isn't a bad story writer, so the book remains interesting from start to finish.

British SAS and US Navy SEALs carry out the joint operation, which is a major success. There is no loss of life of the hostages, Brits or Yanks, and total obliteration of the enemy.

Not bad if you like this sort of thing, but it wouldn't be the first SF book on my recommended list.
2ed01c4e3fa7a92d0bae59d3a9a2efe3.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.