Reading Challenge 2024

Nah, skip it if you've already read it. Other suggestions welcome. I'll have a look later.

Given the discussion about classics I wonder if we can find one, probably a modern one, that is known to be accessible but none of us has read? Might be hard to meet the criteria but you never know?

For example, I've never read Slaughter House 5 or Flowers for Algernon both of which might fit the type of book that would work? They might have already been read by people but was thinking maybe something along those lines.

Given the discussion about classics I wonder if we can find one, probably a modern one, that is known to be accessible but none of us has read? Might be hard to meet the criteria but you never know?

For example, I've never read Slaughter House 5 or Flowers for Algernon both of which might fit the type of book that would work? They might have already been read by people but was thinking maybe something along those lines.
I've just read short reviews of both these, and would be happy to read either. Flowers for Algernon would be my preference.

I've just read short reviews of both these, and would be happy to read either. Flowers for Algernon would be my preference.
Yes, that does sound interesting. Relatively short book so I could definitely squeeze this into my schedule.

1. Cunning Folk – Adam L.G. Nevill - 8/10
  2. Bad Apples – Will Dean – 7/10
  3. The Winter Road – Adrian Selby – 6/10
  4. The Dark Place – Damian Vargas – 9/10
  5. Act of Oblivion – Robert Harris – 7/10
  6. The Tyranny of Faith – Richard Swan – 7/10
  7. The Game – Micah Richards – 8/10
  8. The Ticket Collector from Belarus – Mike Anderson and Neil Hanson – 8/10
  9. The Satsuma Complex – Bob Mortimer – 6/10
  10. Notes on an Execution – Danya Kukafka – 9/10
  11. And Away … – Bob Mortimer – 7/10
  12. Dead Man's Blues - Ray Celestin – 8/10
  13. On Wings of Eagles – Ken Follett – 8/10
  14. Priest of Gallows – Peter McLean – 8/10
  15. Quantum Radio – A.G.Riddle – 3/10
  16. The Maleficent Seven – Cameron Johnston – 6/10
  17. The Second Sleep – Robert Harris – 8/10

TheSecondSleep.jpg

When @stoneblue reviewed this last year, I marked it down as one to look at because the premise sounded intriguing. Unfortunately, I didn’t heed his advice about NOT reading anything about the book before starting.

Having said this, the big “twist” came pretty early and something like it was certainly telegraphed if you were playing close attention to the text.

I echo what he said in his review: there’s really not much I can say about this without giving anything away to those who might want to read it. If you are sufficiently interested, just download it and start reading. The story starts in the 1400s with a young priest travelling to a small town to oversee the burial of the recently deceased parish priest.When the young priest makes a startling discovery, things start to get interesting.

One thing I will say is that the ending felt rushed and didn’t really deliver on the promise it had built up. The characters were heading towards some final huge discovery that I didn’t think happened in the end. Having said that, it was a very interesting and thought-provoking story that made you think a lot about the smaller revelations as they unspooled. This was my second Robert Harris novel this year, and despite the ending, I thought it was the better of the two, and good enough for 8/10.

Downloaded Flowers For Algernon cheers. Just finished Agent 17 by John Brownlow which is a thriller about a paid assassin. About a 3 out of 5. Filled a hole but won't be in rush to read next one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.