Reading Challenge 2024

Waiting for that one myself and as far as I know, there's no new book in sight.

TBH much as I enjoyed the two books so far, it's so long since the last book I don't even know if I can be bothered to read it when it comes out. I remember reading The Wise Man's Fear around the time City won the FA Cup in 2011!!
Yeah sounds about right. Ive done a couple of re reads hoping the third book was coming but thats now 3/4 years since the last one and no intention of doing it again. I get the feeling with Rothfuss he kind of gets off on the constant questions on when the book will be ready. Comes across as having no real intention of getting it done.

Has anyone read The Year of the Locust? It's still heftily priced for an e-book - just wondering if anyone has and if so what they thought.
I’m about halfway through at the moment, and am enjoying it so far. Not quite as good as I Am Pilgrim, but that was always going to be difficult to follow up.

Randomly, City were briefly referenced in the book in the bit I was reading last night. Our worldwide appeal continues to grow!

I’m about halfway through at the moment, and am enjoying it so far. Not quite as good as I Am Pilgrim, but that was always going to be difficult to follow up.

Randomly, City were briefly referenced in the book in the bit I was reading last night. Our worldwide appeal continues to grow!
After commenting that this looked interesting, I happened to read a couple of reviews of it that put me off.

I won't say any more but I'll be interested to here what you think of the last quarter!

2024 Books

1. The Way it is Now - Garry Disher - 7/10

9AEB27C8-71BA-4643-B283-0D803EE4C7C6.jpeg

For my first read of 2024 I returned to one of my favourite genres, Aussie noir. The author, Garry Disher is one of the top crime writers in Australia and this one does not disappoint.

The story starts in 2000, when Charlie Deravin is a cop and is involved in the hunt for a missing child. He then learns that his mother, who has recently separated from his father, has also gone missing. Her car has been found abandoned, crashed into a gatepost and blood on the keys in the ignition.

The story then moves to 2019/2020 and neither his mother nor the missing child have been found. Charlie is still a cop and has been looking into his mother’s disappearance in his own time over the years without finding any solid leads. At the time the story picks up, he is suspended for assaulting a superior officer so this gives him more time to look into his mother’s unexplained disappearance. Then skeletal remains are found and a police investigation launched..an investigation in which his father is a suspect.

2024 Books

1. The Way it is Now - Garry Disher - 7/10
2. Kicking Back - Nedum Onuoha - 7/10

tempImagePKBHZB.jpg

This book charts Nedum’s life story and football career from his joining City’s academy through to his retirement in the USA. It is an interesting book and for City fans the period when he was in the first team squad is probably the most interesting.
His City managers were Kevin Keegan, who gave him his debut at 17, Stuart Pearce, Sven, Mark Hughes and Mancini. He particularly enjoyed his time working with Sven - he was a good man manager and training sessions were always interesting. Surprisingly he was not keen on Stuart Pearce and not surprisingly he didn’t get on with Mancini!

He describes his emotions from that game in 2012 in which he featured at fullback, one of 3 ex-City players in the QPR line-up.
He also shares his views on Joey Barton including the incident with Tevez in the QPR game, the infamous Garry Cook email about his mother, and his spell at QPR.
He describes his experience of racism both here and in the US.

Nedum comes across a serious character, one who was not motivated by money and has a deep sense of personal pride.

I have also got Micah’s book to read so it will be interesting to compare and contrast.

Last edited:
It’s probably about time to discuss what we should select as our Q1 joint read.

Feel free to post and discuss any nominations.
How about The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, or Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart. Both have good reviews, neither would be in my regular list of books I must read before I die.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.